Celery1989

Gary Cahill - PL CL FAC LC EL champion

6 hours ago, bluedave said:

Interesting that his return to form seems to have coincided with a certain other defender being dropped, and a general stabilisation of the back three team selection.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, he got demolished against Salah 3 times, struggled in the Liverpool game. 

3 hours ago, Slojo said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that, he got demolished against Salah 3 times, struggled in the Liverpool game. 

So did pretty much every defender in the league! :biggrin:

Still let Salah run past him.  I'm not criticising the lad, just saying that he got mugged over by Salah who just ran through the middle of the defence with no-one tracking him.

Big disappointment to be perfectly honest. Had such massive chance to become a class CB having learnt from one of the best ever in that position. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at Old Trafford next season. 

21 hours ago, Famous CFC said:

Big disappointment to be perfectly honest. Had such massive chance to become a class CB having learnt from one of the best ever in that position. Wouldn't be surprised to see him at Old Trafford next season. 

Big disappointment ? He was bought in as a decent CB and has gone on to achieve far more than anybody expected of him. He's been far from a big disappointment, if anything, he has exceeded expectations.

6 trophies with the club in 6 full seasons as a regular starter. 3 of those season's he has been included in the team of the season.

How anybody can say he has been a big disappointment is laughable. He wasn't signed to be the next John Terry and nobody expected him to be.

He's achieved that all on his own has? Team of season selections are a load of rubbish. He's miles behind Azpi and a 21 year old kid. He's that trusted now that much that Rudiger is starting ahead of him. He may have the silverware which is won as a team by the way, but he's never been outstanding any year at this club. 

If you actually watch him, he seems scared on the ball and a lot of the time he just gives it to the nearest person or Alexis Sanchez. 

As far as CB at this club that we've had he's probably struggling to be top in the top 10.

Oh and he had every chance in the world to be like JT and dominate this defence, but sadly he hasn't. Hot young CB with bags of potential. Big, physical, good on the ball. Maybe his work ethic was the problem who knows. 

You do realise He's played several other seasons for us, not just the last couple,  right?  Several other seasons where he has been excellent and has played a big part in winning all those trophies.  

Edited by dkw

No I had no idea that we signed him in 2012 or that this is his 7 season with the club. 

I'd doubt he'll get in many Chelsea all time teams when he leaves the club. Infact, he's been he 7 years and nobody would have him in there...  not even the squad. 

Fans always go over the top with players performance when that player is in a championship winning team. 

Give me Leboeuf, Carvs, JT, Willy G, Ivanovic, Desailly over him. 

54 minutes ago, Famous CFC said:

He's achieved that all on his own has? Team of season selections are a load of rubbish. He's miles behind Azpi and a 21 year old kid. He's that trusted now that much that Rudiger is starting ahead of him. He may have the silverware which is won as a team by the way, but he's never been outstanding any year at this club. 

I never said he did achieve it on his own, no player has done that, everybody needs their teammates help to win titles. But he's been a starter in every single one of those trophy winning seasons. If he was such a big disappointment, he wouldn't have been trusted by so many managers, if he was such a big disappointment we wouldn't have won so many titles, if he was such a big disappointment, he wouldn't have made so many vital tackles, headed clearances, blocks and scored so many many goals. And here's another one for you, if he was such a big disappointment, then he wouldn't have started every cup final and (almost) every big game the club has had over the last 7 years. 

Oh and he had every chance in the world to be like JT and dominate this defence, but sadly he hasn't. Hot young CB with bags of potential. Big, physical, good on the ball. Maybe his work ethic was the problem who knows. 

Every player has a chance to be like Terry, but many very rarely do. He wasn't a hot young CB when we signed him, he was 26 years old decent CB who was nothing special at Aston Villa and then consistently good at Bolton. We signed an average player who kicked on and made a great career for himself with us.

Before he signed for us, nobody would ever have believed you if you said to them that Gary Cahill will win 2 league titles, 2 european cups and 2 domestic cups. Nobody thought he would reach those heights, but he has. To say he has been a big disappointment when not much was expected of him to begin with is like i said originally, it's laughable.

John Motson with his stats. He's got 2 kids and was born in Derbyshire. Think he supported/supports one of the Sheffield teams as well. 

Fun that in the thread I created about Chelsea's all time eleven nobody named him. Will G got love and he has 2 EPL titles and was there for 5 seasons as did Ricky who was here for 6 Seasons(And most think from a defensive stand point he was better than JT) a great impression than Cahill with his legendary 7 years here. Probably looked good playing alongside people like Iva, JT and Ash. 

Stim, you'd think with his 7 stellar years he'd be the G.O.A.T in regards to Chelsea greatest CB. 

Edited by Famous CFC

If you thought for one second cahill was signed to eventually be the next jt, then you were obviously going to be disappointed. 

He's been a steady player bought for next to nothing, and has contributed to winning major trophies. I'm not sure what else you can really expect from him. 

He's arguably the weak link in the back 3 now, but at 31, we would be looking to replace him anyway. 

He gets alot of critism some warranted, some not, but you can't criticize his work ethic or commitment.

He won't go down as one of greats, but he has been a great servant, and deserves more respect than what he receives from certain sections of our own support. 

Now that post I can totally agree with. Maybe I have been a tad harsh on a guy that has maybe made the best of his talents. I wish him the best when/if he does leave the bridge at seasons end. 

Edited by Famous CFC