Eden Hazard - Chelsea Legend

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Guest RFC_CFC

imho,he could become one of the strongest player in the world in a few years

He has a long way to go before he gets there IMO.

He is the kind of player who can look a world beater one week then look totally lost the other.

The difference between the very best and Hazard currently is he has a consistency problem and can't seem to stay at a high level for any great length of time. Of course he has the opportunity to improve that aspect and under Jose there is no better manager to help a player reach those levels but I'm not sure Eden can be that player.

He has a long way to go before he gets there IMO.

He is the kind of player who can look a world beater one week then look totally lost the other.

The difference between the very best and Hazard currently is he has a consistency problem and can't seem to stay at a high level for any great length of time. Of course he has the opportunity to improve that aspect and under Jose there is no better manager to help a player reach those levels but I'm not sure Eden can be that player.

He had a good run last season until teams started playing with cover against him. Our and Belgiums problem is that there is a lack of threats comming from other areas, wich allows teams to isolate him. With Fabregas, Costa and hopefully an attacking left back the other teams will have to reconsider doubling up on him.

Terrible effort from him in this entire WC to be honest. Someone of his talent should really feel displeased with such performances. You look at the difference-makers for other teams and they're making off the ball runs, coming deep to get the ball, crosses from different positions etc. Ambling about and laying off the ball is about all he's done. And he's had similar periods of performance for us. Taking that responsibility is the only way he'll make the next step.

Think he was either tired or injured...the guy has talent, don't think he will ever be a Messi or Ronaldo, but next level down...in this tournament he just didn't have any oomph in his play at all...rarely tried to take a player on, which just makes me believe something rather than lack of ability was wrong

Di Maria had a sh*te world cup too. Hazard will be back with a bang next season, that's for sure. I agree i don't think he will ever reach the heights of Messi or Ronaldo, but i do think he can be an Iniesta/ Robben / Suarez level player

Hazard was poor during the WC, true. But I honestly think that Belgium suffer from the same problem as England.

A group of talented individuals do not necessarily make a team. Yes, he could/should have imposed himself on games more but until they met Argentina they were unbeaten with Hazard chipping in with assists and setting up goals rather then scoring them.

I still think that we are lucky to have him and think he will become a true 'world class' player but I highly doubt he will ever be considered the best in the world. 

Last season teams were doubling/tripling up on him as they knew they could basically afford to leave our strikers unmarked for long period as they were so naff.

Next season with Costa, Fabregas and another possible midfielder and a 'proper' (no offence to Dave) left back behind him I'm very optimistic that he will start to deliver consistently

Azpi wasn't allowed much freedom down the left flank last season. An attacking full back is vital for a player like Hazard. If two defenders are on him, they have to commit to either the attacking full back (getting to the byline) or stop Eden from cutting in. If one goes towards the full back, Eden had a 1 on 1. If they don't, the full back has no one marking him by the by line. 

Azpi wasn't allowed much freedom down the left flank last season. An attacking full back is vital for a player like Hazard. If two defenders are on him, they have to commit to either the attacking full back (getting to the byline) or stop Eden from cutting in. If one goes towards the full back, Eden had a 1 on 1. If they don't, the full back has no one marking him by the by line. 

JoeyN - totally agree. That's why I think the signing of our new left back is just as important as our new striker. Hazard needs to have someone that can drag those defenders out of position and also to cover Eden for his defensive responsibilities is the need arises.

Not saying I disagree with you at all , in fact I totally agree with what you have said.  

However the problem with allowing the full back freedom is defensive frailty when the team loses the ball. Last year we were not that venerable to counter attacks and I suspect this would have something to do with it. It's quite clearly a balancing act between attack and defense for a modern day full back but I think the team would benefit significantly with more dynamic full backs (as you have mentioned).

Jose knows what he is doing.

he certainly has the ability, so i can only assume it's an attitude thing. he's more than capable of running at players and beating them, but so often he'll slow it down and cut back inside rather than actually stretch teams like he is capable of.

Not saying I disagree with you at all , in fact I totally agree with what you have said.  

However the problem with allowing the full back freedom is defensive frailty when the team loses the ball. Last year we were not that venerable to counter attacks and I suspect this would have something to do with it. It's quite clearly a balancing act between attack and defense for a modern day full back but I think the team would benefit significantly with more dynamic full backs (as you have mentioned).

Jose knows what he is doing.

I also think Jose knows this having had Marcelo and Coentrao playing under him at Real.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems like Eden has been forgot about after the recent top signings. Does anyone think we'll see hazard performing at his best again with the great new additions to the team this year?

He's still our best player so I expect him to put in the performances to match.

With Costa and Fabregas added to the team he's got every chance of having his most productive season yet in regards to goals and assists.

He's still our best player so I expect him to put in the performances to match.

With Costa and Fabregas added to the team he's got every chance of having his most productive season yet in regards to goals and assists.

I hope you're right. I think our season will be determined through his creativity (both in assists and goals).