39 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Don't get me wrong, I do embrace what we have been building at Chelsea for some time now and the fact that we have become one of the elite clubs in Europe with a great squad of players and a list of trophies. But it doesn't sit well with me that there appears to be no ceiling when it comes to how much players are paid. It seems there is no such thing as "too much". We've accepted £200k and now £300k is to become the going rate for a top player. How long before a player is on £1m a week? It's madness.

Ed Sheeran earnt 300k a week last year despite doing absolutely nothing. As long as football clubs revenues go up, then so will players wages. 

3 hours ago, benjsross said:

I agree, but if they aren't going to reduce ticket prices then the players should get the money. They are the ones I am paying to see! 

Alternative view here;

Because not everyone can afford to regularly go it means that more people can go at least once or twice as tickets are not completely impossible to buy. 

People seem to forget that if tickets were cheaper there would be a lot more demand, so more fans many be able to afford to go, but tickets would be almost impossible to be obtained. 

On 29/03/2017 at 09:49, Blue Exile said:

Whether he stays or not will be decided by the player. If he knows Madrid want him and has his head turned, we sell him for as much as possible.

If he is happy here then Madrid can piss off. We do not need money. We do not need to sell.

This is the key point - Hazard and his family are settled...at least for now. None of us know how Hazard will react to the inevitable onslaught that will come from RM.

We can only hope that he'll stay given how important his family seems to be and the fact that we almost certainly will be in the UCL next year again as Champions. Hopefully the club can use RM's interest as leverage to tie him down to a new deal, much like I hope they can with Costa and China.

2 hours ago, dkw said:

Ive had a sneak preview of Yorkleys much anticipated debut album, he`s wrong.....

When you say "he's wrong" do you mean that you have noticed that I CAN do what Hazard does, I just choose not to?

2 hours ago, Nibs said:

I can well imagine. Dad Rock.

Less Dad Rock than a slightly younger and paler George Clinton/Bootsy Collins Funkmeister with outstanding banjo skills.  I have my own genre on Spotify.

1 hour ago, dkw said:

...i was amazed to see you fit playing the spoons into your synth rock records, genre defying magnificence i think the NME called it.

Destined to be "Best New Music" on Pitchfork. Next album will have songs with appearances by Beyonce and Kanye West so all the fans on Pitchfork's Facebook page want the big sell out to burn in hell. They still adore his first demo, though.

Edited by Maksimov
13 hours ago, Nibs said:

Don't get me wrong, I do embrace what we have been building at Chelsea for some time now and the fact that we have become one of the elite clubs in Europe with a great squad of players and a list of trophies. But it doesn't sit well with me that there appears to be no ceiling when it comes to how much players are paid. It seems there is no such thing as "too much". We've accepted £200k and now £300k is to become the going rate for a top player. How long before a player is on £1m a week? It's madness.

Yeah, I agree that it's madness but if you look at the NBA for example, ridiculous contracts have been in the game for a while now. It's totally expected for that to come into play in football sooner or later as well. Even in Formula 1, I remember back in 2007 Raikkonen was paid 50 million that year.

When there's a lot of money coming in, it's no surprise people are getting these kinds of paychecks.

19 hours ago, Nibs said:

Some years ago $10k/week was also insane money to be paying a footballer. Factors like bigger tv deals, increased revenue and inflation push prices north. That's just time having its effect on football.

1 hour ago, Barrettinator said:

Some years ago $10k/week was also insane money to be paying a footballer. Factors like bigger tv deals, increased revenue and inflation push prices north. That's just time having its effect on football.

Inflation doesn't come into it. The cost of football has never moved in sync with the cost of living. When the premier league was formed it was a manufactured product/cash cow. 

The biggest factor now is the monopoly over live broadcasting rights, terrestrial TV companies won't and cannot compete with the likes of BT and sky for the rights, and the armchair viewer is forced to pay to a certain extent if they want live domestic and European football.

I wonder how long it will be before the WC and Euros are whored off to Sky et al.

Edited by Blue Exile
35 minutes ago, didierforever said:

A new deal means nothing in today's day and age. Except that it increases Hazard's market value. If Hazard wants to leave, I dont know what exactly we can do to prevent it.

If he signs a new deal this summer, there's no way he's leaving.

He will leave next season after having a James esque World Cup and I wouldn't begrudge him the move.

Just think, this season we're going to have him and Sanchez teaming up :wink: