I didn't think we'd keep Hazard even this long; so i'm somewhat less broken if he leaves. Disappointed for sure, and worried, but i'd instantly get onto Youtube, rewatch everything i can of him, and bask in the glory of having been weakly attached to the same social group as him. He made me love football again.
Before Hazard, this was a game of results to me (the opposite life of an Arsenal fan:laugh2:). Post-Hazard, there's nothing better than simply appreciating talent - appreciating art in motion. The rest is secondary.  
It's a damn shame we didn't build around him properly so he and we could enjoy flourishing in all stages of all competitions. But, it's a been damn delight to have had a master create his best work in our own garden.

Edited by fiel

1 hour ago, EmeraldBlue said:

Needs to get his finger out and step up. Moaning about not getting touches or the lack of them is an excuse. How often did we see him looking for the ball or making himself available? City had no trouble dealing with him. Had it been Bakayoko doing as little as he did it would have led to a public lynching.

That is inredibly harsh. How many times did we actually play a decent pass into him, pedro over hit at least 3 fairly straight forward through balls for him, and there was a lot of balls just limped aimlessly forward. 

Even when he did get the ball, there was 3 or 4 city players around him. 

Far bigger problems on Sunday than hazard moaning. 

Assuming Eden leaves this summer, which I think is reasonably likely regardless of our managerial situation, I am curious to see the opinions on possible replacements. We ought to be able to command a decent fee for him but I don't have much faith in the board to spend it wisely. One rumour I have seen floated was a possible part-swap with Dembele from Barcelona. While he hasn't been a great success there to date he is young and looks like a star in the making. Assuming we could get Dembele and some cash that might be an interesting deal. Leon Bailey or Wilfried Zaha might be worth a look too. 

25 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Assuming Eden leaves this summer, which I think is reasonably likely regardless of our managerial situation, I am curious to see the opinions on possible replacements. We ought to be able to command a decent fee for him but I don't have much faith in the board to spend it wisely. One rumour I have seen floated was a possible part-swap with Dembele from Barcelona. While he hasn't been a great success there to date he is young and looks like a star in the making. Assuming we could get Dembele and some cash that might be an interesting deal. Leon Bailey or Wilfried Zaha might be worth a look too. 

Can't see hazard going to barca, they seem to be going for greizmann. 

There's no replacing hazard. If he goes to madrid, id want isco, and then maybe bring in malcom, or fekir. 

That is inredibly harsh. How many times did we actually play a decent pass into him, pedro over hit at least 3 fairly straight forward through balls for him, and there was a lot of balls just limped aimlessly forward. 
Even when he did get the ball, there was 3 or 4 city players around him. 
Far bigger problems on Sunday than hazard moaning. 

Maybe I was a bit harsh but the standard for top players should be set high. In the opponent we were up against, it needs to be every man to the wheel, more Ruediger fight and less swanning around.
53 minutes ago, forbzy said:

From Hazard to Zaha, christ thats so depressing.

1 hour ago, jack_super_class said:

Agreed. I mentioned Zaha and Bailey as additional buys if we were to get say Dembele + cash for Hazard. Sorry I should have clarified ;)

5 hours ago, forbzy said:

For me PSV's Hirving Lozano with Hudson-Odoi as his understudy. Personally rate Lozano higher than Leon Bailey.

If we sign Zaha (and assuming we still have Baka, Barkley etc) I'm not entirely convinced we'll be competing for top 6 next season, and though I'd take him on loan I don't think Dembele is worth anywhere near £96m - we may not even get £96m for Hazard so we'd be mugs to sign him imho.

Edited by the special one
11 minutes ago, the special one said:

For me PSV's Hirving Lozano with Hudson-Odoi as his understudy. Personally rate Lozano higher than Leon Bailey.

If we sign Zaha (and assuming we still have Baka, Barkley etc) I'm not entirely convinced we'll be competing for top 6 next season, and though I'd take him on loan I don't think Dembele is worth anywhere near £96m - we may not even get £96m for Hazard so we'd be mugs to sign him imho.

We should get > 150m for hazard 

18 minutes ago, TheChelsRVA said:

We should get > 150m for hazard 

Agree that does sound more likely, but if factoring in Morata's fee (£59m) and assuming Barca want what they paid for Dembele (£96m) we'd essentially be using all of the Hazard money to sign him. Perhaps I'm underrating him but for me that's crazy money for a player who I'm yet to be convinced is any better than Lozano/Bailey (or Hudson-Odoi in a few years).

5 hours ago, forbzy said:

We'd probably see the board get 120 mill for Eden, then spend 90 of that on Mahrez and the other 30 on someone we hope fully comes back from injury 

I'm kind of settled on the fact that Eden will no longer be a Chelsea player next season, and while I don't have a list of players i'd say we should target with his money, I do think we need someone in a DoF role that can identify talent and replace him.  I'd be happy if we got 150 million plus for him and used that to invest in a few players; however, I don't think Marina G is exactly scouring the world for the next Eden Hazard.  It's sad that we have a potential windfall of cash coming in, and yet i've no confidence that we'll use that money for the betterment of the club.

The only way we can get Eden to stay (because I'm pretty sure we'll not make top 4, and i'm maybe assuming that Eden will want to be playing CL football every season from now until he hangs up his boots) is if we take him aside and say "we are adding x, y and z players to support you next season."  Then he'll at least have a season to see if we're going in the right direction before we sell him with a year plus on his contract.

12 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

So many people seem to bring up Zaha so often and i don't understand why. What is so great about this guy? He seems to have a few good games and a bunch of people go on like he is some sort of world class winger. He's 25, he hasn't had one stellar season yet. I watch the guy and most games i see him play, he struggles with his first touch, he struggles to dribble past players, often has the balance of someone like Danny Welbeck, and on most days has terrible end product.

Not once in his career has he reached double figures in goals, most of his career he has struggled to get past 5 goals. You can find wingers with end product like Zaha's all over the world. 

If people want to bring up Zaha, they should do it when he has at least had 1 consistent season of top level performances.

I think its obvious Hudson-Odoi should be his successor. However, with two years left on his contract i would like to keep Eden for those remaining two years.

If we don't and it means bringing someone like Odoi in to take over, i wouldn't be mad. We need to focus on youth more and maybe hazard and pedro leaving will allow us to do so. 

I don't think there are players are there of his quality to replace him with that would be much better than Odoi. Maybe Bailly but no idea how good he is tbh. 

Who else is there? It depends how much he wants CL and whether RM can really give it him. They also need a striker and CB, and a GK by all accounts. That is a lot of money if we are talking top level.

If you include Hazard in that then Real Madrid will have to end up paying insane amounts in summer for a good transfer window. Their team isn't getting younger with marcelo, ramos, modric, ronaldo, injury prone bale, benzema regressing. 

One thing i will say is nobody else has had hazard in the premier league and still won the league and done as well as us. Of course hes important, but one player doesn't make a team. 

Edited by enigma

For me, everything hinges on the successor to Conte as to whether Hazard Stays. He will be incredibly hard to replace so we need to go to great lengths to try and persuade him to stay, and that requires buying quality players to supplement him,we are a one trick pony, there's far too much being placed on his shoulders.

51 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Playing Hazard as the 9 oon Sunday was the best way to take our best player out of the game, hell at least we made United man mark him the week before. He's never going to be a 9, really puzzling why Conte persisted with the tactic after repeated failures.

The only time it should be used is in emergencies, like when we have no striker available. We have probably played him as a false 9 just as much as a winger this season, and almost every time it has limited his and our game.

16 hours ago, forbzy said:

I usually don't like it when names come out of nowhere as the next big thing, but my god Bailey seems fantastic. He's very similar to Hazard before we bought him in terms of, already ready to win the biggest games, but still so much refinement to come. 

We may be surprised. If we sign a more prolific player than Hazard, like a Bailey who goes on to score like Salah does for Liverpool, will we be appeased? Or will we genuinely miss specifically Hazard's touches, smiles, celebrations, etc? (I think so.)

Ultimately i think... he can't be replaced. So instead, we have to change once he's gone, and not even think about replacing him. It'd be sad going from worshipping a god, to going to finding a random person to mould into that god's image once the god is gone. 
Though in terms of 'replace' as in who do we buy with the money and the gaping hole - then I think the next step is a 4-2-3-1 with prolific, balanced players.

Edited by fiel

It's too easy to forget that less than 5 high profile players use Hazard's style. Less than 3 do. I can't even name the second one beyond Hazard; the only name is Ribery, but from years ago, though.

You don't replace Messi, because his qualities will not be found again. Similarly, you don't replace Hazard, because his qualities will not be found again. Just like we won't replace Lampard, and won't replace Drogba. 

What's next, is a new 'style' entirely. One that i think will resemble 2005 Chelsea, just based on the players we have now and the way we'd have to set up if we lost Hazard.

Edited by fiel
2 hours ago, icecoolguy22 said:

Playing Hazard as the 9 oon Sunday was the best way to take our best player out of the game, hell at least we made United man mark him the week before. He's never going to be a 9, really puzzling why Conte persisted with the tactic after repeated failures.

Agreed, playing him as a false 9 completely nullifies his threat. Hazard is, and always will be a threat from deep wide areas. Its no coincidence that he suddenly comes into a game(that we've started without a striker) when a striker is brought on and he reverts to his naturel role. It baffles me why Conte persists with this formation even though he has admitted himself that he has made a mistake going with it. Surely the best option against City would have been to go 3-5-2 with Hazard playing just off Morata, as we did to great effect away to Madrid.