What is the point of £200 million when we will only spend it on garbage like Bakayoko, Morata and Zapacosta?

To sign the best players it will take over £100 million these days and if any other top club want them then we are at a distinct disadvantage.

Who would replace him? The likes of Dyabla and Greizmann are fantasy, they have their choice of clubs who can offer way more than we can these days.

1 hour ago, Chelsbear said:

What is the point of £200 million when we will only spend it on garbage like Bakayoko, Morata and Zapacosta?

To sign the best players it will take over £100 million these days and if any other top club want them then we are at a distinct disadvantage.

Who would replace him? The likes of Dyabla and Greizmann are fantasy, they have their choice of clubs who can offer way more than we can these days.

Bailey.

1 hour ago, Bluesince66 said:

It was a really strange game from him, as if his mind wasn't really with it

Nah he was just out shined, out pressed, and out hustled. The Barca defenders locked him up very well, credit to them. When they have with someone like Messi in the training ground, shackling a pretender like Hazard was probably light work. 

I think going forward, if he leaves, I won't care too much. The guy doesn't have what it takes mentally to take it to the next level. Needs to look himself in the mirror. 

8 hours ago, enigma said:

He certainly is our best player, but what frustrates is that he doesn't use his abilities to full every game or during big games. 

No way our best player. N'golo Kante is the only true world class player we have. Hugely consistent, turns up in the big games, carrying our midfield single handed in most games with the lack of quality around him. Hazard isn't even close.

6 hours ago, Theafonis said:

Nah he was just out shined, out pressed, and out hustled. The Barca defenders locked him up very well, credit to them. When they have with someone like Messi in the training ground, shackling a pretender like Hazard was probably light work. 

I think going forward, if he leaves, I won't care too much. The guy doesn't have what it takes mentally to take it to the next level. Needs to look himself in the mirror. 

You won't be saying that if he leaves and we struggle to compete at all. Without him, we aren't getting close to that top 4. The one season he was off form for us, we finished 10th. I think a lot of people are undervaluing his importance to us right now. This isn't like a few years ago where we could afford to lose one of our top players. If Hazard goes, we are in trouble, i don't trust our board to find a good enough replacement. Even if they did identify a good enough replacement, i don't have faith in them getting that player to actually sign for us.

I find it baffling when people say things like "i won't care much if we sell Hazard", why would you not care? What do we get out of it if he leaves? All we end up with is a weaker squad and an almost toothless attack. I only ever hear people say they are okay with Hazard leaving when he doesn't turn up for the big games to get us a win (even though he has turned up for a lot of our biggest games since he arrived, especially in the league) Instead of pointing the finger at Hazard and demanding he step up and produce the goods, how about pointing the finger at the others, the ones that have rarely produced the goods in the big games? Or how about the board, the ones that have failed to get players that are capable of playing at the highest level with the likes of Hazard? (although it can be argued that they did, but we went and sold them all)

Out of all of the players we have had since the Roman era began, which ones have contributed more to our attack than Hazard? Drogba and Lampard, that's it. If Hazard was playing in the 2004-2010 Chelsea team, there would never be any complaints about him. Back then, we had other players that would stand out if one player wasn't producing the goods. If it wasn't Drogba, it was Lampard, if it wasn't Lampard, it was Terry, if it wasn't Terry it was, Gudjohnsen, Essien, Carvalho, Cole, Robben, Ivanovic. These days, if it isn't Hazard producing the goods in the big games, who else do we have that we can fall back on..........Willian on a good day maybe? that's about it. Back in 2004-2010, you would never hear about one player carrying the team, these days though, Hazard has carried this team more often than should ever be asked of a player.

Hazard stands out more because he's the only player in our squad that is expected to shine, in the past, when one of the other top players didn't step up, you could always count on another top player to step up in their place. If people don't think Hazard is a big game player, then maybe they should look up some videos of his goals, you will soon be reminded that he has scored a lot of important goals for us, more than anybody else since Drogba.

9 hours ago, just said:

No way our best player. N'golo Kante is the only true world class player we have. Hugely consistent, turns up in the big games, carrying our midfield single handed in most games with the lack of quality around him. Hazard isn't even close.

Willian is pretty good and a Brazilian international.

4 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Hazard stands out more because he's the only player in our squad that is expected to shine, in the past, when one of the other top players didn't step up, you could always count on another top player to step up in their place. If people don't think Hazard is a big game player, then maybe they should look up some videos of his goals, you will soon be reminded that he has scored a lot of important goals for us, more than anybody else since Drogba.

Yep.

Okay, of late, Willian has upped his game and consistency levels and at times has over-shadowed Hazard. But let's not kid ourselves he is anything like as good. We all know how average we are when Hazard isn't in the side.

I know he still frustrates as he often gets compared to the likes of Messi and Ronaldo when the truth is, he can be that good but doesn't appear to have the desire in him to achieve it. When he is on top of his game he can be unplayable and is capable of things very few others are. But he seems to have this inbuilt mechanism to play in a comfort zone and not turn it on as often as the likes of Messi and Ronaldo. Still our most talented & skillful player and biggest asset by a country mile and will be extremely hard to replace. 

Hazard has world class driblling and ball control.  He's probably second in the world to Messi in that regard.  It's insane how strong he is for someone his size, and his ability to shield the ball from defenders and burst past them is truly world class.  

He lacks consistency in attacking and that's why most people have a hard time placing him in the upper-echelon of players.  Difference is Hazard is asked to carry this team like pretty much no other player in the world.  We have surrounded Hazard with a bunch of mediocre creative players (bar Willian on his day).  We rely so heavily on Eden to create off the dribble for us that it's easy for teams to focus on him.  You can see when Eden is out of the squad we are a significantly worse team.  

If Eden went to somewhere like Real that has an abundance of talent, he would really flourish. He will never be the type of player who scores 25-30 goals a season, it's just not in him.  But the freedom he would get in a squad as stacked as Real would let him breeze past defenders and definitely raise his reputation in world football.  At Chelsea he routinely has to dribble through 3 people just to have an opportunity to make a play.  Before he even has the chance to make an impact play he has to make an impact play.  We MUST buy offensive/creative talent if we want to compete on the world stage and keep Hazard here...

He doesn't even have a reliable striker to play the ball to ffs

Edited by TheChelsRVA

I posted this in the match thread, he lacks the mentality to truly be consistent and be labelled world class. He goes missing way too much in game's he needs to be consistent over a season not just 20 game's or so when you can end up playing 40+ if you go deep in every competition. He lacks the arrogance, ego and killer instinct that Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar have. Need that arrogance

8 minutes ago, Brutos said:

I posted this in the match thread, he lacks the mentality to truly be consistent and be labelled world class. He goes missing way too much in game's he needs to be consistent over a season not just 20 game's or so when you can end up playing 40+ if you go deep in every competition. He lacks the arrogance, ego and killer instinct that Messi, Ronaldo and Neymar have. Need that arrogance

This is why, even though he is obviously far more skilled than someone like Salah, Salah adds so much more than Hazard does which is why, if I had the choice, I'd swap them in a second. Only three things matter in football: Goals, Assists and Goals conceded. Hazard is suppose to contribute to the first two, which he hasn't done anywhere near enough this season.

I must add a post script to this though. I do think Hazard would thrive much more in a more attacking set up than we currently play. In a team like Real, City or Pool, I believe he'd be far more consistent.

3 hours ago, Old Shaggy said:

This is why, even though he is obviously far more skilled than someone like Salah, Salah adds so much more than Hazard does which is why, if I had the choice, I'd swap them in a second. Only three things matter in football: Goals, Assists and Goals conceded. Hazard is suppose to contribute to the first two, which he hasn't done anywhere near enough this season.

I must add a post script to this though. I do think Hazard would thrive much more in a more attacking set up than we currently play. In a team like Real, City or Pool, I believe he'd be far more consistent.

Hazard has done it more than any other player in our squad, and not just this season either, almost every season since he joined the club. It's not him that needs to step up, it's the players around him. Hazard is the last player that should be getting so much criticism. If Hazard is going to get criticism, then so should every single player that has played for the club in the last 6 years.

Remember Hazard has to play with a forward who likes to eat grass and the other who even though he stays on his feet if you decide to pass to him it will most likely be given away. Then throw in Pedro and Willian who has decided to turn up for the first time since he signed for the club. It must be bloody hard work playing with players who are really not anywhere near his level and when you add in defensive midfielders, a LWB who doesn't have the pace to overlap and Moses its not really a highly attacking and creative squad of players. If he was in a more attacking line up with better players he would be less frustrated and I feel up his game even more.

6 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Hazard has done it more than any other player in our squad, and not just this season either, almost every season since he joined the club. It's not him that needs to step up, it's the players around him. Hazard is the last player that should be getting so much criticism. If Hazard is going to get criticism, then so should every single player that has played for the club in the last 6 years.

Comparing him to other players in our squad isn't hard really. Nobody has really stepped up this season in regards to attacking, except maybe Willian in the second half of the season. And even then Hazards stats are not that much better than Willians! When you look at Edens 11 goals and 3 assists in 26 Premier League appearances this season and look around the League at some of the so called "lesser players" who are contributing much more, doesn't it make you wonder why he can't contribute more?

If I'm going to be fair to Hazard, there are other contributing reasons that we are not getting the most out of him. I don't think the formation and tactics we currently deploy suit his style of play for starters. And I also think with a better midfield and a decent striker Hazards all round play would improve. But as it stands, if he is to be considered as our most important player, he needs to step up and prove it on the pitch.

Remember Hazard has to play with a forward who likes to eat grass and the other who even though he stays on his feet if you decide to pass to him it will most likely be given away. Then throw in Pedro and Willian who has decided to turn up for the first time since he signed for the club. It must be bloody hard work playing with players who are really not anywhere near his level and when you add in defensive midfielders, a LWB who doesn't have the pace to overlap and Moses its not really a highly attacking and creative squad of players. If he was in a more attacking line up with better players he would be less frustrated and I feel up his game even more.
Oh yes, blame the other players for his lack of performance.
5 hours ago, EmeraldBlue said:
8 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

Oh yes, blame the other players for his lack of performance.

Well it's true, it's essential an attacking player has a good striker to play with, Morata and Giroud are not good enough. Morata goes to ground too much and Giroud gives it away, cant expect Hazard to make Messi runs everytime he gets it. You really think having Baka and Kante as your midfield pairing in a defensive formation really brings it the best in Hazard.