big blue

Eden Hazard

2 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Form has completely dropped off. The problem is that when his form goes, the whole team falls apart. That shows how much we rely on him.

This started after the Man City humiliation not just the humiliation of us in that game but the humiliation of Hazard by his manager. 

He is a problem. Not really productive enough to be the main threat in a teams offense but also demands the ball too much to be sidelined for another player. The argument is that his lack of decisiveness in the final third (Comparative to other players in his position that he is competing against) is made up by his ability to be the central hub of a teams offensive structure. This doesn't really work though when he takes up one of the offensive spots within the team where we need players who are decisive.

If you look at Real Madrid as the extreme example a few years ago (Not Barcelona because Messi is a GOAT and kind of an anomaly to look at). They played 4-3-3 with Ronaldo-Benzema-Bale. All three of those players scored over 15 league goals in their best season and were regular goalscorers in all competitions. They had Ronaldo as the main goalscorer who did nothing to try and dictate the teams play, he waited in the final third to be decisive and make assists/goals. Because he is a ridiculously good player, Ronaldo's goal tally was insane even for the main offensive threat of a team. As such, Benzema would drop deeper and would involve himself more in the structure of the teams play. However, as one of the three offensive players he still retained the purpose of being decisive, which meant he played as the secondary offensive threat and scored 20+ League goals a season. Bale, when he was brought in, was not as good as Ronaldo, thus his time in the final third was reduced compared to Ronaldo's and he scored quite a bit less goals then Ronaldo but still a healthy amount (19/20 league goals). This is an extreme example but one that is applied to most teams.

The more important a player is, the more time they get on the ball relative to their teammates on the ball. When your main player is an offensive player, the majority of your offensive play goes towards them. When they take up one of the three main goalscoring positions, where their main effect has to be in the final third, the main player has to be the most productive player in the team. If your main player is not the most productive player then your attacks are spending most of their time with a player that is not producing as much as another player can. That's a problem especially within a 3 man attack like in the 4-3-3 or the 3-4-3 as the burden of productivity upon the wide players in a one striker system is much higher. If one player in that trio is not producing at a high rate but is spending most of the time on the ball, it increases the burden of productivity even more on the other two forwards in a lower amount of time.

If a player plays like Hazard, the best place for them is in midfield. See Iniesta, Isco, Silva etc. This then frees up another spot within the team in the forward area for another player that is more productive and who can better utilize the time they are given within the final third. A midfield player in a 4-3-3 not having to get goals is good and it is actually better for the team when a player like Hazard, who wants to control the structure of a teams attacks, is played centrally where they can do so. The problem is, no manager will ever play Hazard in midfield because he lacks in 2 vital areas: 

1. Defensive workrate - He doesn't defend and wont defend. It will massively unbalance the shape of the team with him pottering about like a fool.

2. Tactical awareness - Midfield is the most tactically demanding area of the pitch. Hazard does not have the ability to take in tactical instruction and execute it effectively. He will end up wondering around aimlessly like he tends to do, searching for the ball as much as possible without interest in the teams shape or stability. 

Personally, I would try Hazard in midfield for a while if I was the next manager and see if I could get something from him there because his playing style lends itself to a midfield role. He is just a bit of a lazy bastard who hates hard work though.

I didn't see the match today yet read the report on football365. They said Hazard was double marked yet still created twice as many chances as any other Chelsea player.

They also said he tucked back into midfield when we lost possession to help out defensively.

I don't see how being in an attacking team will improve his goal scoring. He just doesn't try enough to score goals when he has all the ability in the world to make defenders his bitch. Salah has the goals he does because he always tries to score. Hazard is too unselfish to try for goal all the time. 

Just now, enigma said:

I don't see how being in an attacking team will improve his goal scoring. He just doesn't try enough to score goals when he has all the ability in the world to make defenders his bitch. Salah has the goals he does because he always tries to score. Hazard is too unselfish to try for goal all the time. 

Hazard wouldn't score more goals if he was playing at Man City? Sterling finishing is poor but has 20 odd goals this season. 

Hazard seems a great guy, but let's be honest not the game changer and world class player we hoped, great against your West Broms and Watford's, but when have we seen him step it up against your Barca's, city's, etc big games and a no show, sad to say but 50 mill and have to consider it

4 minutes ago, chi blue said:

Hazard seems a great guy, but let's be honest not the game changer and world class player we hoped, great against your West Broms and Watford's, but when have we seen him step it up against your Barca's, city's, etc big games and a no show, sad to say but 50 mill and have to consider it

3 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Not looked interested in a while. If he can’t show up against the dirty y*ds then I wonder if he is actually Chels deep down. The old guard wouldn’t put in a lazy performance like this lot. 

I take it you didn't watch many games in 10/11?

I don’t think I’ve been more confident in the club keeping him ironically. Why would anyone sign him for huge cash with the way he’s playing? For me he’s still got stuff to prove. 

Some of our fans don't deserve Hazard. Some of the things I read about this player sometimes is appalling. 2 time PL champion, arguably the best player in 2 title winning campaigns under two different managers, 3 time CFC player of the year (all time record), one of the only 3 Chelsea players to win the PFA player of the year, most team of the year appearances by any Chelsea player ever.

Yet some of you talk about him like he's nothing in a moment of adversity or/and dip in form and just right off what he's achieved. He's been very loyal to us. He didn't hand in a transfer request like Suarez did. He didn't hand in a transfer request like Coutinho did. If he wanted he could have left last season or the season before. Let's show some loyalty in return to a Chelsea legend. It's only fair. 

Hazard's poor form started 4 games ago: https://www.whoscored.com/Players/33404/Fixtures/Eden-Hazard

Coinciding with the Man City game. Still our top scorer this season. 15 goals, 10 assists after coming back from a broken ankle. The worst injury of his career yet some talk about him like he's been crap all season when he's actually been as he's good as he's always been for most of the season. 

9 minutes ago, Slojo said:

I don’t think I’ve been more confident in the club keeping him ironically. Why would anyone sign him for huge cash with the way he’s playing? For me he’s still got stuff to prove. 

Me too, i was only worried about Real Madrid but i don't think there interested now. A really good world cup though from him could change there minds.

Some of our fans don't deserve Hazard. Some of the things I read about this player sometimes is appalling. 2 time PL champion, arguably the best player in 2 title winning campaigns under two different managers, 3 time CFC player of the year (all time record), one of the only 3 Chelsea players to win the PFA player of the year, most team of the year appearances by any Chelsea player ever.
Yet some of you talk about him like he's nothing in a moment of adversity or/and dip in form and just right off what he's achieved. He's been very loyal to us. He didn't hand in a transfer request like Suarez did. He didn't hand in a transfer request like Coutinho did. If he wanted he could have left last season or the season before. Let's show some loyalty in return to a Chelsea legend. It's only fair. 
Spot on

12 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

Hazard wouldn't score more goals if he was playing at Man City? Sterling finishing is poor but has 20 odd goals this season. 

I think it's down to personality tbh. Ronaldo scored a sh*t ton of goals for real madrid when Jose was in charge, and Jose isn't known as an attacking coach. It's a mindset with hazard, he doesn't want to score goals. He doesn't score that many for Belgium either. Hazard has so much ability to get lots of goals, but doesn't. Juventus aren't that offensive, but even Dybala scores more goals per season than Eden. Maybe the coach is the issue, but I don't think so, it's more so Hazard is unselfish. Sterling showed at Liverpool that he was a player that liked to get forward a lot and score goals. It is also probably Pep who has brought the best out of him. I don't think Sterling is that special though, still a good player, but Eden, in my opinion, is a level above Sterling in terms of natural ability. He could be so much better if he chose to change his mindset. 

Edited by enigma

11 hours ago, Slojo said:

I am quietly confident he will stay too, even without CL football. Maybe I will be wrong though and he'll think this is his last chance to go to RM. Saying that, even when his contract runs out he'll be 29, so still kinda in his prime. 

Age is a problem now. For him personally,  If he stays to play in the Europa League and help the team qualify for CL and then play in it the season after (All BIG ifs and buts.) he's 29. Maybe he will have declined in talent by then, etc etc. The time is now if he is to leave. Also, if he and the Belgium national team perform well in the World Cup with all eyes watching, I'm sure bids galore will be coming in. It will be highly unlikely he is at Stamford Bridge next year. 

When was the last time Real Madrid bought someone for their first team's attack who was over the age of 27?

Benzema, Cristiano, James, Isco, Higuain, Bale, Di Maria & Kaka have all been signed as attackers but not one of them were over the age of 25.

I think Eden's time to go to Madrid was just after 14/15 when we won the league under Mourinho. He was imperious that season and easily the best player in the league and one of the best in the world. He was 25 then and that's when he should have made the leap to join them.

I think he will stay due to lack of potential suitors.

Edited by JMaher94

15 hours ago, The Liquidator said:

Arguably one of the best players to pull on the Chelsea shirt but that doesn't mean he is immune from criticism. Was very poor yesterday and has been for a few games now. Games like yesterday he should know what it means to Chelsea fans and be grabbing the bull by the horns. He's done it before, he should've showed more imo.

He's one of our best players and people are coming for him??

Hazard is in a team which plays with the tempo of a snail. He then has to resort to taking on his opponent in a physicality battle which if his trickery is sussed, he will lose. 

KdB looks like the GOAT at City cause of the high press and tempo at which they play. Same for Salah. Chelsea play like a one legged lumbering ox and its no wonder the likes of Hazard are struggling. 

If he goes, we will truly be in a major transformation.  He is far and away our most crucial player.  He transitions the ball from back to front, he creates the opportunities in front of goal, and scores the most goals.  He is our most fouled player.  Hell he's probably the most fouled player in the entire premier league.  When Jose went to ManU he set up his defense to focus solely on Hazard.  We expect him to do literally everything for us, and he gets marked by 2 or 3 players and we still expect him to do everything for us.  

@Sing the Blues has it spot on.  Players like Hazard thrive in attacking sides where he has freedom to play to his strengths.  Not in a catenaccio type where we play the majority of the game in our own half.  Even still, he is our best player because he affects the game from every area.  Again, he is relied on to transition the ball from back to front, he is relied on to dribble past the most players, he is relied on to create the most chances, and he is relied on to score the most goals.  All in a setup that does not play to his strengths.

If he leaves we are in major trouble and some people on this thread will get their silly wish.  I won't want to hear any complaints if it happens.  Meanwhile I will be sulking with a beer wearing my eden top watching his highlight videos on youtube

Edited by TheChelsRVA

I'd be seriously worried if he left in the Summer because there is no way we'd spend the 100 million+ on a player needed to replace him. We should make every effort to keep him. Top player.

10 hours ago, Famous CFC said:

Age is a problem now. For him personally,  If he stays to play in the Europa League and help the team qualify for CL and then play in it the season after (All BIG ifs and buts.) he's 29. Maybe he will have declined in talent by then, etc etc. The time is now if he is to leave. Also, if he and the Belgium national team perform well in the World Cup with all eyes watching, I'm sure bids galore will be coming in. It will be highly unlikely he is at Stamford Bridge next year. 

Chelsea aren't in a position to sell their best player so if he does go he'll have to go for a good amount of money, and I'm talking the crazy amount that players like Coutinho went for. 

Would Madrid/Barcelona be willing to risk that? I know Hazard is unplayable when he's on form but he's become of an inconsistent player as the years have gone by here. If he had a sh*t hot season like we were all expecting I would definitely be worried about him going, but now I'm not. Not when you've got Mohammad Salah who is outshining everyone currently, all the eyes should be on him not Hazard.