big blue

Eden Hazard

I think these comments from Hazard clearly state he wants to go, and I think we should let him go.

He's been an unbelievable player for us, the most talented we've ever had IMO. He's also been immensely loyal. For the last 6 years we've had one of the best 5 players in the world, a player that could play for any team in the world, and he's never agitated for a move. 6 years is a long time in a player's career and we've had his best 6 years. He'll be 28 in January and on the wane. He only has one big move left in him. He wants a new adventure, a new league, a new club. He wants the chance of winning the CL, of playing alongside similarly talented footballers. Whatever it is, he deserves his move. 

It's been a privilege watching him play for Chelsea. Without him these last 6 years we'd have won f**k all. He's been easily our most important player during that period. He's been double-marked and triple-marked. He's been kicked all over the shop. He's been targeted. We should be really grateful to him. He's basically been our only attacking threat for most of his time with us, which is the thing I regret most. At City, or Real or Barca they put great attacking players alongside other great attacking players. We haven't done that. We've relied solely on Hazard. He's our only player that can do things out of the ordinary.

If it's what he wants we should grant him it. We'd get a lot of money, far more than if we waited 12 months. Invest that money in the next Hazard. It wasn't long ago we recruited Hazard, Salah, De Bruyne and Lukaku. Unfortunately Mourinho let 3 of those players go without spotting their potential or giving them a chance. Well let's find the next guy and sign him. We'll have money to burn if we sell Hazard. Let's buy someone who can lift bums off seats. Yes it's a risk but let's take that risk. Players come and go. It doesn't mean everything has to come crashing down. Sometimes a door closes and another one opens. We've had Hazard's best years. Let's go out and buy Bailey or whoever our scouts think a worthy successor. Let's spend whatever it takes to secure him and let's all look forward to a new era.

What's the alternative? Keep Hazard another year when we know his heart is set on Madrid? Get far less for him next summer? Give him one year with Sarri and hope he is suitably seduced and wants to sign for the rest of his life? I won't be complaining if we keep him another year but we're not in the CL, we have a new manager building a new team and now is as good a time as any.

If he really wants his move sell him. He won't force a move away this summer, that's not his style, and we should be immensely grateful for it. We should only keep him if his heart is in it. I won't begrudge him a move and nor should any of you. If there's one player that deserves it it's Eden Hazard.

170m Euroes is what Real Madrid prepared to pay. I think we can squeeze out £180m which is around 190m Euroes, considering he had an amazing World Cup.

We can't replace him though. I can't think of a single player available who could come in.

180 million is all well and good but we have spent the same near enough that amount on Morata, Bakayoko, Zapatista and Drinkwater. 

Fortunately what we seem to have missed is that Real Madrid need to replace a 40 a season goal scorer, for all his attributes that isn't Hazards forte, so i cant now see him being pursued, they have other fish to haul, left sided midfield isn't where they are short, expect a huge bid for Mbappe.

1 hour ago, Chelsbear said:

We can't replace him though. I can't think of a single player available who could come in.

180 million is all well and good but we have spent the same near enough that amount on Morata, Bakayoko, Zapatista and Drinkwater. 

Fekir, Martial even Dembele at Barca if possible. And in a year or 2, Hudson Odoi will own the left wing. 

Tell real to cough up 225mill pounds for him and tibo. That would be fair imo.

Hazard is at his peak, he has served us well for his 6 years and played some amazing stuff. He deserves this "dream" move for him and I don't begrudge him it one bit.

Can we replace like for like? No but neither did we with Zola, Drogba or Lampard. We adapted and still did pretty well.

I can see him staying as although a good player, he’d be so expensive even for Real and he’s not going to replace Ronaldo in any way. Would end up like Robben and ditched after a few seasons when the fans start moaning when he goes missing against Bilbao mid winter. 

We are rejecting 60M bid for Willian, so i doubt we will let Hazard go for anything close to 200M. Sure he only has 2 years left on his contract, but serious bidder won't wait another 12 or 24 months for taking a world class player. Despite what he said ( nothing surprising), persuasion by Sarri and a couple of ambitious signings by the club will keep him.

4 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

We are rejecting 60M bid for Willian, so i doubt we will let Hazard go for anything close to 200M. Sure he only has 2 years left on his contract, but serious bidder won't wait another 12 or 24 months for taking a world class player. Despite what he said ( nothing surprising), persuasion by Sarri and a couple of ambitious signings by the club will keep him.

Club are flipping mental if we turn down even the 53mill that was linked for Willian.

Willian: 60 m

Courtois: 50 m

Hazard: 180 m

------------------

That's close to 300 m for three players that are either already in the prime of their careers, or just past it. All three probably  have only one final big transfer in their careers.  They have given the best years of their lives to CFC.

I know there are risks, but you can build a great, great squad, and one for many years to come with that kind of money.

There would be at least around 50-75 m remaining for this season's transfers even after the Sarri-Jorginho deal. (around 100-125 m total is what early rumors suggested)

One or two young players can be shipped out too. 

The only question is whether we can trust the Board, given the current state-of-affairs, to invest close to 350-400m wisely ? 

Edited by Lord

I think we were more stable league wise and really making CL then it wouldn’t be so bad however in our current situation, I don’t think we can afford to let him go. We’ve been in the CL 2/4 seasons and we need to let the slide stop and become more consistent. 

Some issues are not about money - this situation is Hazard is one of them. 

Edited by JM7

Would hate to loose Eden, absolutely live watching him play but if we are to then the only sensible option would be ask for Bale plus cash in return. Bale wants out & I'm sure would love to return to the PL. I'm sure bale would do a decent job of replacing hazard, he is PL proven and of fit is capable of scoring more goals in a season than hazard. This is the only sensible and best option in my opinion.

Move willian over to the left, Pedro on the right and then the striker. Willian would definitely be more effective on the LW. He wouldn't replace Hazard like for like, but Willian could thrive under Sarri on that LW. It's difficult because there aren't many, if any, players like Hazard. Hudson-Odoi is still very young so can't take that place immediately. 

The thing is we really don't need the money from the transfer, and an extra £50-60m or whatever this summer compared to next doesn't really have any impact on the finances of the club.

Our squad is overflowing with players surplus to requirements which can be used fund any transfers we make (i.e. Drinkwater £20m, Zouma £20m, Pasalic £15m, MVG £10m, Luiz £10m etc etc) although given Sarri isn't a cheque book manager and prefers to coach his players rather than buying new ones I can't imagine we will be splashing a lot of cash.

Also losing Hazard is a huge blow to our marketability as a club and will cost the club in sponsorship deals, shirt sales, growth of supporters etc so losing out on £50-60m worth of transfer fee for a year of Hazard at his best is not nearly as costly as it looks.

The only reason to let Hazard go this summer is because he really doesn't want to play for us this season, which he has giving no indication of.   

Edited by PedroMendez

I think we should say to him stay this season and help us, but if we don't make top four or challenge, then he can leave next summer. I do think there may be less need for Hazard in a Sarri system than in a Mourinho or Conte system, purely because other players will become just as influential. Only reason we are so worried about Hazard leaving is because we've not seen any other attacker thrive under previous systems and style of play. Pep managed to win the league with Sane and Sterling as the wide attackers. Both are nowhere near world class. 

Edited by enigma

The club must do everything to keep him. Everything !There are not players in the world that can replace him.Nobody !

If will be really impossible to keep him, they must demand not less of 200 million euros.

Edited by Master&Commander

6 hours ago, Lord said:

The only question is whether we can trust the Board, given the current state-of-affairs, to invest close to 350-400m wisely ? 

We may not replace Hazard or Willian if we do sell, Sarri has a reputation for working with what he has and 350-400m is a pretty big wedge towards the new stadium.