Who? Just about every good manager out there? Ferguson? Wenger? Klopp? 

Mourinho develops players who already were very good to start with anyways, but that's not important here. Ozil is a very odd example to give as well; that development and that expecting more responsibility from him is what Özil has missed in the last three years with Mourinho. He has become a world-class player, yes, but he hasn't developed as a player. In fact he's still the player he was at 21 with the same weaknesses - the same exaggerated altruism, the same adversity to taking risks in front of the goal, the same "shyness" to take responsibility in big games-, with the difference of being used to the big guys more and perhaps having brought a few backheel/bubble gum tricks to perfection. 

Ferguson criticised his players a fair bit to get them to improve.

Ferguson criticised his players a fair bit to get them to improve.

In public? 

'Of course there is criticism,' he said. 'The criticism has come from all directions. What you have to do as manager of our club is to make sure the criticism remains inside your doors. 'I am unremitting in that respect. Totally unequivocal. My stance is there and it doesn't change. You don't criticise any Manchester United player outside the doors. I have never done and I won't.'

I remember him criticising Ronaldo at one point but that's because he was getting a bit big-headed towards the end. But what Mourinho is saying to Haz, considering the circumstances, is harsh IMO. 

Edited by MANoWAR

Jose comments are nothing to do with improving Hazard and all to do with changing the topic ie blaming the loss on someonelse. We all know where this ends up with Hazard being sold for someone who has the endurance of Mo Farah and is as quick as Usain but with half the football ability. Build the team in the final 3rd around Hazard give him freedom let the others do the running and this boy will get us loads of goals and assists.

Edited by pete

Jose comments are nothing to do with improving Hazard and all to do with changing the topic ie blaming the loss on someonelse. We all know where this ends up with Hazard being sold for someone who has the endurance of Mo Farah and is as quick as Usain but with half the football ability. Build the team in the final 3rd around Hazard give him freedom let the others do the running and this boy will get us loads of goals and assists.

Yes, clearly it has nothing to do with Hazard's comments slating the manager and teammates plastered all over the media for 3 days running.

And if the player is the only one between the attacker and the goal he shouldn't have to clear the ball because attacking players should have freedom from defensive duties, right?

Edited by darrus

Who? Just about every good manager out there? Ferguson? Wenger? Klopp? Has Ferguson ever gone and said Ronaldo doesn't do this for the team, especially when he'd been out for a while? 

Mourinho develops players who already were very good to start with anyways, but that's not important here. Ozil is a very odd example to give as well; that development and that expecting more responsibility from him is what Özil has missed in the last three years with Mourinho. He has become a world-class player, yes, but he hasn't developed as a player. In fact he's still the player he was at 21 with the same weaknesses - the same exaggerated altruism, the same adversity to taking risks in front of the goal, the same "shyness" to take responsibility in big games-, with the difference of being used to the big guys more and perhaps having brought a few backheel/bubble gum tricks to perfection. 

Haha fergy never publicly commented on his players weaknesses? Did you only start watching football this year or something?

Guest RFC_CFC

In public? 

'Of course there is criticism,' he said. 'The criticism has come from all directions. What you have to do as manager of our club is to make sure the criticism remains inside your doors. 'I am unremitting in that respect. Totally unequivocal. My stance is there and it doesn't change. You don't criticise any Manchester United player outside the doors. I have never done and I won't.'

I remember him criticising Ronaldo at one point but that's because he was getting a bit big-headed towards the end. But what Mourinho is saying to Haz, considering the circumstances, is harsh IMO.

That answers my question and tells me you know hee haw about what your trying to discuss.

What?

I just made a comment on the fact that any potentially inflammatory comments from Hazard or Mourinho's camp would be noticed by others. If that was out of order for some people then I apologize. 

Just like your arrival in town puts McDonald's on high alert, fattie

Subway my friend, I worked for McDonald's as one of my first jobs years ago and haven't ever had the urge to go back.

Edited by Izanagi

Yes, clearly it has nothing to do with Hazard's comments slating the manager and teammates plastered all over the media for 3 days running.

And if the player is the only one between the attacker and the goal he shouldn't have to clear the ball because attacking players should have freedom from defensive duties, right?

I don't speak French but below is what Jose said about Hazard. If Eden had badmouthed his manager and teammates then he would have my full support to bollock him but that is clearly not the case as I can't stand dissent from players but on the other hand I don't like players being made scapegoats either like Jose has done quite a few times with players this season.

Mourinho on Hazard - "I listened to the interview, There was nothing critical in what he said

just in from work and only picking this story up now.  i'm torn on much of this.  do we really need all 10 outfield players to defend? - does that take away from our ability to be creative....it might, I don't really know.  

i'm a big fan of Mourinho and the personnel we have currently don't match the squad we had from 2004- 2007. Makalele, Ballack, Lamps in his prime - Robben, Drogba...

watching us this season i've often felt that a number of guys just don't look like Mourinho players - Hazard and Oscar are both in this category for me.

i think one way or another Jose will create a team that can really play, really attack and really defend. If Hazard wants to succeed at Chelsea he'll clearly have to try harder and if he's not prepared to do that ......

I think Jose shouldn't have said what he said in public ... this is open to all sorts of interpretations and has obviously become the hot topic on talk sh*te radio tonight ...

I understand Jose said similar things during his Real Madrid skint ... which was seized upon by the Spanish media, blown out of all proportion and ultimately led to player unrest and Jose's eventual undoing ... I'm not suggesting for one second that will happen here ... but one should learn from past experiences ...

I don't speak French but below is what Jose said about Hazard. If Eden had badmouthed his manager and teammates then he would have my full support to bollock him but that is clearly not the case as I can't stand dissent from players but on the other hand I don't like players being made scapegoats either like Jose has done quite a few times with players this season.

Mourinho on Hazard - "I listened to the interview, There was nothing critical in what he said

It was said referring to the first part, that lost in translation "posession football". "I have to do it all alone" was another thing and was wrong at many levels, and the manager had to react if even for the sake of other 22 players on the team.

I'd trust nothing was lost in translation as Mourinho knows French.

I've read Jose's comments several times and they make me uncomfortable. They don't sound to me like they are intended to motivate Hazard to improve at all but more like Jose has simply had enough of him and is lashing out.

"...he's not the kind of player to sacrifice himself for the team."

"I'm not happy. I've tried to improve him all season."

I hope it's not the case but those in those two remarks Jose seems to be talking about Hazard as if he's a lost cause.

Whatever happens, the words have been spoken now so all we can do now is wait and see how Hazard responds to them. He's one of the most exciting players I've ever seen play so if we lose him then I'll be hugely disappointed. I'm well aware that Jose has fallen out with and reconciled with players in the past so I really hope that this is the case here.

The fact it has lead to more speculation about hazards future for me means it wasn't one of jose' better comments.

Don't think there was any need to add fuel to the fire. Especially with the windows about to open.

I don't think there's any chance him leaving though, no club would meet our valuation.

THOU SHALL NOT DOUBT MOURIHNO!

The slogan of this Forum!

Jose is wrong here. He didn't have to come out and say this publicly. Hazard is a great talent and this kind of thing should be handled behind closed doors. There is no reasob to create tension. A previous poster said it right when saying that Jose has come off as a crabby old man this year.

And this talk of improving Ronaldo? Cmon! He was one of the top 2 players in the world already. So he tracks back a little bit now? (Which by the way, he doesn't do that much)

Jose is one of the best. He has a history of winning and helping players& but he also has a history of ruining relationships with players. This is the kind of stuff that does that.