Eden Hazard - Chelsea Legend

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Love to see Hazard play out his career here with Chelsea and then maybe move on in about 8-10 years to the MLS for a nice big payout. I don't watch MLS but as an American I am all for the globe's footballing stars wind down their careers here. Great for the American game and more importantly will influence young kids here that Football isn't a sport where one gets their heads smashed every Sunday only to eat your food through a straw when your 50 years old.

I think he'd suit Barcelona very well, more so than Real Madrid. His ability to go from 0 to 100 in the blink of an eye is perfect for Barcelona's style and is what they are missing.

As much as I enjoy Hazard here I can't help but think that Neymar is a better fit for Chelsea.

What? Sorry but what I've seen of Neymar he doesn't look the kind who'd handle the Premier League. He has to be one of the most overrated players in the world.

Hazard's been class for us.

As much as I enjoy Hazard here I can't help but think that Neymar is a better fit for Chelsea.

Not disagreeing with you but what is this thought based on? I am interested to know.

I'm beginning to think the additions of Fabregas and Costa are going to be really good for Eden. His strength has always been beating defenders and laying the ball up for his team mates to score. I feel he can focus more on this in the coming season and chip in with goals rather than being the attacking scapegoat all the time. 

He's an exceptional player and is still a beautiful fit in this team so any suggestions of selling him I would have to highly disagree with. Fabregas and Costa have received all the attention lately but lets not forget how good this guy is and his achievements to date at the club. 

Personally I would like to see Hazard improving his overall game, which (IMO) needs to develop if he is to be the superstar he thinks he is.

This.

He has the talent but is still some way behind the best players in the world.

Need's to do it week in/week out and not just every other game.

What? Sorry but what I've seen of Neymar he doesn't look the kind who'd handle the Premier League. He has to be one of the most overrated players in the world.

Hazard's been class for us.

There's no doubt Neymar hasn't hit his potential yet but with all due respect I think you've made it pretty obvious you will never give credit to Spanish football in the face of all evidence.

Not disagreeing with you but what is this thought based on? I am interested to know.

I'm beginning to think the additions of Fabregas and Costa are going to be really good for Eden. His strength has always been beating defenders and laying the ball up for his team mates to score. I feel he can focus more on this in the coming season and chip in with goals rather than being the attacking scapegoat all the time. 

He's an exceptional player and is still a beautiful fit in this team so any suggestions of selling him I would have to highly disagree with. Fabregas and Costa have received all the attention lately but lets not forget how good this guy is and his achievements to date at the club. 

I agree but on the limited evidence we have so far, it seems that this could potentially be a hindrance as much as a help. 

One of the more astute things that commentators have been picking up on is that Hazard is seeing reduced time on the ball. For example, against Leicester, he meaningfully touched the ball just three times in the opening 25 minutes. Our system is noticeably more direct, more focused on midfielders linking with Costa, and since it is working ruthlessly why should Mourinho even contemplate changing it to suit Hazard?

Hazard's genius comes from his incredible efficiency; our system doesn't get him the ball nearly as much as the top echelon of players (Bale, Ronaldo, Messi, Suarez etc) but when he does have the ball he seems create something it. If Hazard is naturally a super-efficient player, imagine how much more productive he would be in a system that gets him even more time on the ball?

A team like Barcelona would suit Hazard even more than Chelsea. Firstly, their ability to keep the ball in the opposition half and switch it between players would give Hazard the time on the ball his genius craves. Secondly, and most importantly, their system would benefit tremendously from Hazard's talent in the position he is most likely to recieve the ball (the left channel, on the edge of the box). Barcelona's attackers attempt to 'hem' in a opposing defense in a sort of square pen around the penalty area, and Hazard's incredble productivity in creating chances would be amplified by their ability to do this to virtually every team. 

Fortunately (hopefully) for us, Barcelona have already got that same type of ability in Suarez who occupies the same positions and has the same style. Neymar, for my money, is too similar to Messi to be productive right now in their system. The Spanish league appears too tactical for him, and I think the counter-attacking chaos of the EPL would better suit his skill set. His raw pace and individualism suits our less structured, more direct attack much more than Barcelona's tactics whereas Hazard's specific strengths would improve Barcelona's style more than ours.

Edited by SydneyChelsea

There's no doubt Neymar hasn't hit his potential yet but with all due respect I think you've made it pretty obvious you will never give credit to Spanish football in the face of all evidence.

How will I not give credit to Spanish football based on the fact Zi think Neymar is overrated?

Anyway it's a fact that the Spanish league isn't as tough as the Premier League, not many leagues are. A lot of players come here and can't handle the physical side of it, i.e. Robinho, Reyes, etc. I've seen people get tough with Neymar and he so far hasn't really shown he can handle it.

How will I not give credit to Spanish football based on the fact Zi think Neymar is overrated?

Anyway it's a fact that the Spanish league isn't as tough as the Premier League, not many leagues are. A lot of players come here and can't handle the physical side of it, i.e. Robinho, Reyes, etc. I've seen people get tough with Neymar and he so far hasn't really shown he can handle it.

Lol, you've just proved my point. I have seen you state this over and over again in the face of conflicting evidence and while I respect your determined faith this argument has been done to death on these forums, hence why I feel the need to reach for the salt shaker.

As for the second point, Zuniga aside, Neymar has more than paid his dues against violent opponents both at international level and at club level, especially in Brazil.

I think there is no doubt that he has not lived up to his potential at Barcelona but he is only 22 and the whole point of my post is that Neymar is not suited to Barcelona's tactics.

Edited by SydneyChelsea

Spanish League us more technical, but the premier league is more physical. That is a statement that every player that has played in both leagues seems to agree with.

Some players have struggled with the physical side of it, and the amount of games and lack of a winter break can take some getting used to.

I think neymar would be good where ever he plays, but I would definitely argue that hazards game fits better with English football than neymars.

Hazard wouldn't suit Barcelona's game at all, he plays pretty much exactly the opposite to their game. He is direct and individual, moves around the pitch looking for space and opportunity. Barcelona's is all about moving the valley around and staying right to a position, being in the same place. Then give it to messi. And it's dreadful to watch in my opinion.

Spanish League us more technical, but the premier league is more physical. That is a statement that every player that has played in both leagues seems to agree with.

Some players have struggled with the physical side of it, and the amount of games and lack of a winter break can take some getting used to.

I think neymar would be good where ever he plays, but I would definitely argue that hazards game fits better with English football than neymars.

Absolutely agree, but that is a far cry from what Bobby is arguing.

Hazard wouldn't suit Barcelona's game at all, he plays pretty much exactly the opposite to their game. He is direct and individual, moves around the pitch looking for space and opportunity. Barcelona's is all about moving the valley around and staying right to a position, being in the same place. Then give it to messi. And it's dreadful to watch in my opinion.

There is no question Barcelona's football had fallen from its peak to something that vaguely resembled Benitez-ball, but I'd be clutching at straws if I was trying to argue that their football was always completely devoid of movement. It just seems unfair to stereotype their tactics based on a few years of underperforming, much the same as if people were to rubbish Mourinho because of 06-07 Chelsea or 12-13 Madrid. 

If you read my second post, i'm arguing that 1) Barcelona's tactics allow for a specific tactical situation to be created quite frequently (the 'box' around the opponent's area) and 2) Hazard is so productive and so rarely dispossessed in that specific tactical situation that logic suggests he would be a huge success. I also argue that because we are now playing much more directly, and everything essentially is directed via Costa or Fabregas, that lessens Hazard's time on the ball which will in turn negatively affect his end product compared to Suarez/Messi/Bale/Ronaldo who get a lot more time on the ball.

Neymar's schtick is that he's very, very good at cutting in from the wing to shoot at goal, something that Barcelona's system does not allow (again, think of the 'box' they try and create around the defense). The aforementioned ability is something that has historically been very successful in the Prem (think Henry) and at Chelsea (Robben). It's something we do have here at Chelsea but to the eternal frustration of many, already expressed in this thread, Hazard seems to 'slow the play down' and with what we know of Mourinho's attacking style and Fabregas and Matic's ability, it's likely to be a common route to goal. 

At the end of the day it seems that Barcelona have a very common tactical play that seems to be tailor-made to Hazard's unique strength and Chelsea have one that seems tailor-made to Neymar. 

Does that mean Neymar is better than Hazard? No.

Does that mean I want Hazard over Neymar? No.

People can relax now, i'll stop rocking the boat.  :rolleyes:  

Lol, you've just proved my point. I have seen you state this over and over again in the face of conflicting evidence and while I respect your determined faith this argument has been done to death on these forums, hence why I feel the need to reach for the salt shaker.

As for the second point, Zuniga aside, Neymar has more than paid his dues against violent opponents both at international level and at club level, especially in Brazil.

I think there is no doubt that he has not lived up to his potential at Barcelona but he is only 22 and the whole point of my post is that Neymar is not suited to Barcelona's tactics.

That's in no way me sayibg the Spanish league is bad its just different abd pro footballers thst have played in both leagues have backed up my point. Yet you think you know better than they?

Neymar hasn't exaxtly set thst league in fire either and as I said I've seen him in get physically bullied at times in games and he's struggled. I think he'd have a hard time over here. Hazard's already proved he can handle it and suits a system. Where would Neymar play for us? He's not a winger that does the hard work and he's not a lone centre forward that can hold the ball up.

Eden Hazard vs Swansea :

Passes 58

Accurate 93%

Take-Ons 9/10

Chances Created 4

Shots (OT) 5 (2)

He may not have as many goals and assists as he deserves, but he creates a constant unbalance in the opositions defence, wich gives Costa and the rest of our players the space they need to thrive. He would have been my MOM today, if Costa wasn't such a beast infront of goal :)

He's never going to be able to do that sort of performance week in week out, but if he could do it more often than last year that would be great.

I have a feeling he will do alot better this year. The oposition can't just throw 2-3 players at him anymore, they are more likely to start doubling up on Costa, if he continues scoring goals. 

It looked to me like hazard was allowed much more freedom. I wonder if Jose's thinking is to do this at home and away to lesser teams. I guarantee he won't be allowed to do it against city etc.

It looked to me like hazard was allowed much more freedom. I wonder if Jose's thinking is to do this at home and away to lesser teams. I guarantee he won't be allowed to do it against city etc.

Citeh ?  I wouldn't be so sure, Yaya has problems with players like Hazard.

Out of all the good performances yesterday Edens one was the one that has left me most impressed.

Simply reinforcing how good he is for us and silencing his somewhat rather vocal critics and just reminding everyone that he is still here and on fire for Chelsea. 

Edited by gussy122