Paul Elliot using discriminatory language?

mad_mac

Don't know if this has been brought up elsewhere, but former Blue, Paul Elliot has had his position at the FA deemed untenable after using discriminatory language.

The FA have just accepted his resignation.  They thanked him for all he did, especially in the Anti-Racism campaigns.

I don't know what he's said, but it was directed toward Richard Rufus.  Has he used a racist term toward Rufus?

I read this on the sun it was something to do with a failed business adventure by Richard Rufus. He called him a ni**er so what blacks are to sensitive they rap about it in music videos and that's ok who really gives a sh*t it's just slang words I get called paddy because I'm Irish who cares. Blacks are to sensitive the world has come along way not many people judge skin colour anymore thank god they judge character. It's only slang.

So.. a member of Kick It Out, who hounded JT throughout his court case about alleged use of abusive language, has himself resigned for using similarly abusive language?  See Daily Mirror article.. seems right and proper to me that such hypocrisy should be recognised as a fit cause for resignation.   And he whinges that "a former friend and business colleague made public an SMS text message I sent him, in which I used a term which is widely known as being derogatory to my own community."

The implication here strongly is that had the message not been made public, there would have been no problem.

Make your mind up time, Paul!  Is it acceptable to call a member of the black community a ni**er or isn't it?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/paul-elliott-anti-racism-campaigner-quits-1726736

I read this on the sun it was something to do with a failed business adventure by Richard Rufus. He called him a ni**er so what blacks are to sensitive they rap about it in music videos and that's ok who really gives a sh*t it's just slang words I get called paddy because I'm Irish who cares. Blacks are to sensitive the world has come along way not many people judge skin colour anymore thank god they judge character. It's only slang.

agree with the sentiment although saying blacks are to sensitive, is like saying muslims are terrorist! strange comment to make when arguing that that people rarely judge others by the colour of their skin!

its sweeping statements like that I feel are more irritating for me personally.

the sooner we refer to, and treat people as individuals, and stop judging people by race, religion, sex, etc. The closer we will be to eradicating the issues.

Dont wanna sound like im junping down your throat mate, just dont like being pigeon holed.

The shame of it is Paul Elliot was an absolutely fantastic centre-half for Chelsea, as committed as they come, and had his career cruelly ended up at Anfield by Dean Saunders.

It might not have anything to do with this particular thread, but it's a coincidence nonetheless that he and Terry excelled in the same position for this club, and we musn't forget all that Paul Elliot gave to Chelsea.

Society is too sensitive. Thought crime, failure to toe the line crime. Speak out of turn crime. Today at the Berwick v Rangers game, at least two Rangers fans were arrested for "inappropriate chanting". Rangers have since issued a statement and Ally McCoist has made a plea to Rangers fans to "Do The Correct Thing,"

ESPN issued an apology live on air and alerted police to the situation:

ESPN anchor Ray Stubbs told viewers: “We want to talk about the football but there has been some sectarian singing during the first half and we’re going to contact the police and authorities here to find out what can be done about that.â€

And the "inappropriate chant" in question that led to all this? No Pope Of Rome.

Now you may not like the song, you may not agree with the sentiments. Fair enough. But a criminal offence? Not to my way of thinking.

There does appear to be more than a faint suspicion that ESPN are responsible for the amount of attention given to the situation.

Back on topic, the story goes that Richard Rufus got the hump when Paul Elliot told him he looked like a cross between Ian Wright and William Gallas.

It is ironic that Tommy Docherty's namesake should find nothing inappropriate about the lyrics of No Pope Of Rome!

The Sash?  the 12th of July?  the Battle of the Boyne?  No nuns? No priests etc etc Did they have Ian Paisley singing with them?

Is it only Scots and Irish that find these sectarian chants inappropriate?

That's not quite what I was getting at though, which is simply that inappropriate or "distasteful" chanting doesn't or at least shouldn't equate to a criminal offence.

The point is it equates to a criminal offence if there's a potential to incite violence - and such chanting at a football match can be deemed thus.

It's a question I suppose of when incitement to hatred becomes a criminal offence.  I don't accept IRA chants as appropriate at a football game, nor do I accept Orangemen chants, which is what this is. 

Doesn't or shouldn't is not the same thing.  If you are saying it "doesn't" constitute a criminal offence, then I have to say I don;t know enough about the law to know whether to agree with you or not on that.  If you are saying it "shouldn't" constitute a criminal offence, that is you expressing your opinion that the public expression of religious intolerance is not a matter which is within the remit of the law.

Presumably if these people have been arrested it is because the local police believe that it DOES constitute a criminal offence...

Ah, pipped at the post by Geezer!! 

The point is it equates to a criminal offence if there's a potential to incite violence - and such chanting at a football match can be deemed thus.

In which case every other chant at every other match every weekend could be deemed a criminal offence.

Call me cynical by all means, but I can't help suspecting that it was fear of causing offence to the powerful Irish American lobby that prompted ESPN to apologise. I've yet to hear any such apologies for the pro-IRA chants of Celtic supporters.

In which case every other chant at every other match every weekend could be deemed a criminal offence.

Call me cynical by all means, but I can't help suspecting that it was fear of causing offence to the powerful Irish American lobby that prompted ESPN to apologise. I've yet to hear any such apologies for the pro-IRA chants of Celtic supporters.

And sadly we never will hear any apologies from that pile of sh*te - nor we will hear an apology for the disgraceful chanting about Paul Gascoigne last week.

Politics has no place in football but it has been happening for years, people need to relax I doubt it will ever go away. I was in the shed when Celtic played Chelsea and the shed upper sang rule Britannia I'm Irish and I honestly didn't give a sh*t I people are to easily offended.

It just don't bother me enough to care moi. Britain and Ireland have come along way I don't think a few Celtic or rangers fans will damage the good work done in both country's.

I tend to agree with this. Criminalising this kinds of chant is unnecessarily heavy-handed and doesn't solve anything. In fact if anything, it runs the risk of exacerbating the situation, widening the social divide, especially when one side of that divide feels they are being unfairly targeted.

What I'm saying is that you're not going to solve the problems associated with sectarianism by banning a few chants, but you do run a very real risk of making matters worse.

The irony is all this PC zealousness comes from America (guilt complex ??), which as a country has shown in its VERY SHORT history it's perpensity to be anything but PC in everything it does.

PC zealouts seem very much... 'Do as i say not as i do', and in reality have less tolerance and decency than those they seek to admonish.

Harrrumphh

Archived