Our New Stadium

junio_oscarSY

Good to see such a good debate on the matter be rekindled.

Im not a London native obviously, and ive not been to every home game, or a majority every season for years so although the bridge is fantastic to me, i wouldnt be against moving.

I think within 3 miles (from my very limited knowledge of the area) isnt possible. Its just too cluster fu**ed

But if you were to move out, surely new transportation links could be developed, at a cheap rate to keep the bridge full?

I have seen the artist sketch of the Battersea Stadium and I was impressed by the design of it, but I feel like it's still walking away from our traditions and history. Sure having a bigger stadium will generate more profit through ticket sales but at the end of the day Stamford Bridge has been Chelsea's spiritual home for over a century now, since 1905 specifically when the club was first founded. 

I must admit I'm a traditionalist when it comes to these kinds of things. I hate the idea that leaving Stamford Bridge may occur in the near future. I think if the day comes when we leave I will shed a tear considering the ground has so much history of the Chelsea Football Club. I love the ground and that's why I oppose moving away from Stamford Bridge. 

I'd rather we stick with our roots instead of moving away from them.

Edited by Jezz

I think someone said earlier the stands are already too steep for current regulations.

Plus building up isnt a simple case of adding height, the foundations need to be made bigger which means the path of the forces will reach further etc.

I have seen the artist sketch of the Battersea Stadium and I was impressed by the design of it, but I feel like it's still walking away from our traditions and history. Sure having a bigger stadium will generate more profit through ticket sales but at the end of the day Stamford Bridge has been Chelsea's spiritual home for over a century now, since 1905 specifically when the club was first founded.

I must admit I'm a traditionalist when it comes to these kinds of things. I hate the idea that leaving Stamford Bridge may occur in the near future. I think if the day comes when we leave I will shed a tear considering the ground has so much history of the Chelsea Football Club. I love the ground and that's why I oppose moving away from Stamford Bridge.

I agree with your view mate. But you can't let sentiment rule over the risks of being left far behind the others because then we won't be able to compete.... all for the sake of a piece of land. The club is the staff, people and fans, not one specific piece of turf and brick.

The club is more than that though. At the risk of sounding scouse, a club is also defined by its history. Our history is at Stamford Bridge. Every trophy we've won, every promotion, every relegation, every heartache, every moment of pure joy is etched into those walls. It would be a shame to give all that up, just for the sake of making more money.

Guest RFC_CFC

We have to move on as a club.

If we can't do anything of note to The Bridge and with FFP ect coming in then what do we do?

We can't sit and let 8 or 9 clubs trounce us in the revenue stakes in terms of season tickets and match day income...it would bite us on the arse.

Everyone mocks Monaco because they play infront of small crowds and sooner or later that will be us as even teams like West Ham are expanding.

I love The Bridge, it's a classy and spiritual home but our growth needs to be embraced and if we have to move to pastures new then I will say goodbye with a heavy heart.

It would break my heart if we moved.

I would certainly need to be convinced there's no possible way of redeveloping Stamford Bridge Grounds.

What about an exit built over the railway into the cemetery? Guess that's more of a headache.

Has the Earls Court situation any life in it?

In 1905 we were called Chelsea and played at Stamford Bridge. In 1905 Arsenal were called Woolwich and played in Plumstead. That means something to me.

I could accept a move to Battersea or Earls Court, but I don't want us to end up in some distant outpost of London. A bigger stadium is nice but not the be all and end all and shouldn't be done at any cost. It certainly shouldn't be done just to comply with FFP which IMO will crash and burn in a few years anyway. Juventus moved to a smaller stadium than we have. Bayern, despite having a larger stadium, get lower gate receipts than us and they still manage.

The club is more than that though. At the risk of sounding scouse, a club is also defined by its history. Our history is at Stamford Bridge. Every trophy we've won, every promotion, every relegation, every heartache, every moment of pure joy is etched into those walls. It would be a shame to give all that up, just for the sake of making more money.

Similarly, if we dont make the move. Like the scouse, we'd be living off our history. Not making it.

Similarly, if we dont make the move. Like the scouse, we'd be living off our history. Not making it.

That's just an assumption. I very much doubt FFP will still be a factor 10 years from now, it's already been proven to be bollocks and easy to get around, it's a pointless system that only favours the rich clubs, hardly "fair". Anyway, I can't see us being so reliant on extra ticket sales that it would stop us competing.

That's just an assumption. I very much doubt FFP will still be a factor 10 years from now, it's already been proven to be bollocks and easy to get around, it's a pointless system that only favours the rich clubs, hardly "fair". Anyway, I can't see us being so reliant on extra ticket sales that it would stop us competing.

The problem is that this is only relevant in the Abramovich era and that's if he allows for us to keep having losses. There are only so many years that we can keep losing this much scratch. At some point we have to be a little closer to 0 in order for the losses to be evened out by team valuation increases. Without a new or larger stadium I'm not sure that is possible and to still stay a top club. An extra 30 or 40 million quid would be just about right.

http://www.thechels.co.uk/club/finances/

Also found this bit of information on current site expansion via the journos

The other option, extending two of the stands to increase the capacity to 55,000, would be so expensive the club estimate they would pay £20,000 for every seat gained and would make a long-term loss.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/sam-wallace-qpr-stadium-plans-throw-the-spotlight-on-to-chelseas-dilemma-at-stamford-bridge-where-there-is-no-obvious-solution-9006467.html

What walls though? The Bridge looks nothing like the place I first went to as a lad, only The East Stand vaguely resembles anything from my past and that was built in '74! All of the other walls you mention have been built in the last 20 years. Not exactly an historic stadium, more like occupying the same patch of ground for 100 + years.

What walls though? The Bridge looks nothing like the place I first went to as a lad, only The East Stand vaguely resembles anything from my past and that was built in '74! All of the other walls you mention have been built in the last 20 years. Not exactly an historic stadium, more like occupying the same patch of ground for 100 + years.

Gary Cahill looks dashing in your photo

How many stadiums are the same after 100 years Tony ? I reckon none. It's still our home the same road that generation of fans like my dad myself, my nephew and niece and soon my daughter. We probably won't stay but it will be an emotional time if we moved.

Will be emotional, but its a cross roads

You can be the Chelsea of the last 20 years (yes even beyond abramovich) where we won things and did well for the most part

Or we can go abit further as finances will eventually catch up. Its a money game unfortunately.

Could there be a possibility of an "all standing" end?  Don't Dortmund have one and that stand alone can hold something like 15,000

At SB, no chance. Even if the laws were relaxed, health and safety regulations limiting seat/standing ratios and reduced ticket prices means it's not financially viable to bother with the conversion.

At a new stadium? Why not.

Will be emotional, but its a cross roads

You can be the Chelsea of the last 20 years (yes even beyond abramovich) where we won things and did well for the most part

Or we can go abit further as finances will eventually catch up. Its a money game unfortunately.

It will be emotional for everyone really I used to always go into the dressing rooms ans I loved watching the ground get redevelop from when I started going in 93/94 season. I love chelsea but I love Stamford bridge just as much if not more. My first glimpse of the floodlights at the bridge will stay with me forever. It's was a sh*tty stadium when I first started going but it was our sh*tty stadium. It's amazing what it has become and how much people fought to keep it. Stamford bridge was a huge part of my childhood just like thousands of others. It will be a sad day if it ever happened.

• 2 weeks later...