what makes me laugh is west ham moving to a 60,000  seat stadium. when they are forever advertising on talksh*t, and in the evening standard, cos they can't sell out  upton park.

There's two unintended consequences for them. One they will find there might be a lot more away fans than they intend at games. Two this will still give them a lot more matchday revenue that could change the dynamics of the team for them. Two food for thought items.

Still the track around there is going to ruin the atmosphere IMO. Could be really cavernous

The Standard now saying we are considering Wembley. Its basically our second stadium anyway ;)

Chelsea are considering the possibility of playing a season at Wembley Stadium should they decide to rebuild Stamford Bridge.

The Blues revealed in June that they had begun looking into the feasibility of redeveloping the ground into a 60,000 all-seater.

The RFU confirmed yesterday that they had been approached by the club over potential plans to play their games there for a campaign in future while building work took place.

It is expected that such a move would face fierce opposition from local residents, while the RFU have ruled out the venue being used for football in the past.

The lack of alternatives in the capital means that Wembley is one of the few alternatives and is a possible option.

The Football Association are still having to pay off the sizeable bill from redeveloping the ground and may encourage another revenue stream.

Chelsea currently have one of the smallest stadiums out of leading teams in Europe and are aware they need to play somewhere bigger to attract more fans and bring in more money to compete.

Stamford Bridge currently holds just over 42,000, which is only the eighth biggest in England. But they will fall behind Spurs once White Hart lane is finished and West Ham, who will move to the Olympic Stadium in 2016.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-consider-seasonlong-move-to-wembley-stadium-9761578.html

Lets get to work Chelsea!!

The Standard now saying we are considering Wembley. Its basically our second stadium anyway ;)

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-consider-seasonlong-move-to-wembley-stadium-9761578.html

Lets get to work Chelsea!!

As I said earlier, my sister lives in Twickenham and is a Chelsea fan but even she doesn't want the disruption that us playing there for a season would cause.  So, realistically, I can't see us using Twickers really, much as I'd love it (sorry, Sis!)

Not sure what we could do to get another 18 odd thousand seats in but I suppose that's for others to work on.

Ideally it would be the best for everyone concenred if we stayed at the bridge.

Fingers crossed for this.

The fact that the club are looking at temporary venues may be a good thing.

I'm wondering if they've been given encouraging news on the redevelopment of Stamford Bridge.

To play 20-30 games elsewhere in London is nothing.

People who question whether we can fill a large stadium may come in for a shock if tickets are made available on the day.

That's another story, but it's getting interesting.

The fact that the club are looking at temporary venues may be a good thing.

I'm wondering if they've been given encouraging news on the redevelopment of Stamford Bridge.

To play 20-30 games elsewhere in London is nothing.

People who question whether we can fill a large stadium may come in for a shock if tickets are made available on the day.

That's another story, but it's getting interesting.

Agree, we're members with good loyalty provision and struggle to get tickets. Bolton midweek early round of Capital One Cup was a sell out with 9 first team changes and a good night out. I'm looking forward to seeing us grow and better availability for all... Roll on the Bridge expansion.

I'm sure I read years ago that as part of the agreement between the RFU and Richmond Borough Council that Twickenham could only be used for a certain number of events each year. I don't know how many times a year Twickenham is used at the moment but having 19 football matches could result in a few complaints from the locals. Hope not given the extra revenue the local pubs, cafes etc will make.

Have been to Twickenham a couple of times for international games and it's an impressive stadium. Though I think the Millennium stadium in Cardiff is better.

I seem to recall Ken Bates saying before the last re-development of Stamford Bridge that building a 60,000 capacity stadium would be a bad move as he thought that the football bubble would burst and we would be left with loads of empty seats. Think Ken was wrong given the demand for tickets.

Perhaps as part of the re-development the club could push for terracing areas.

I read somewhere once that we would increase the capacity to 60k but only 6000 of them seats would me made available to 'regular fans' the rest would be hospitality. As with the emirates they have concreted massively on corporate seating. It's where the money is after all. Don't agree with it but its fact.

My first post so please be gentle.

I sort of agree, but I , sort of, don't.

A hospitality season ticket is between £4500 for the lowest and £10,500 for the highest (Above the dugout where Lampard Senior, Ecclestone and Clarkson sit). So, that's between 4.5 and 10.5 times the price of a regular season ticket. If Chelsea can extend the ground and add 5,000 extra hospitality seats then that is the financial equivalent of between 22,500 and 55,000 extra regular seats. It puts the club on a massive financial grounding for the future. I should also add that although the majority of hospitality season ticket holders are corporates , around 30% are private people who love the club as much as the next man. I went to every single game last season and the one before and will go to every single game this season. I know some people in hospitality who have been going to the games for over 40 years.

The part I agree on you most with, and I think we all know this, is that the corporates don't do anything for the atmosphere. Pretty much all of them are not Chelsea fans. I wouldn't like to see too many more seats in the graveyard sections for that very reason.

But, from a purely financial point of view the club needs these corporates because they couldn't even fill the current hospitality areas with 'private' hospitality seat people if they tried.

Anyway - as far as the expansion itself, it was my understanding they were going to extend the east stand back over the railway line ?

Edited by Crem

My first post so please be gentle.

I sort of agree, but I , sort of, don't.

A hospitality season ticket is between £4500 for the lowest and £10,500 for the highest (Above the dugout where Lampard Senior, Ecclestone and Clarkson sit). So, that's between 4.5 and 10.5 times the price of a regular season ticket. If Chelsea can extend the ground and add 5,000 extra hospitality seats then that is the financial equivalent of between 22,500 and 55,000 extra regular seats. It puts the club on a massive financial grounding for the future. I should also add that although the majority of hospitality season ticket holders are corporates , around 30% are private people who love the club as much as the next man. I went to every single game last season and the one before and will go to every single game this season. I know some people in hospitality who have been going to the games for over 40 years.

The part I agree on you most with, and I think we all know this, is that the corporates don't do anything for the atmosphere. Pretty much all of them are not Chelsea fans. I wouldn't like to see too many more seats in the graveyard sections for that very reason.

But, from a purely financial point of view the club needs these corporates because they couldn't even fill the current hospitality areas with 'private' hospitality seat people if they tried.

Anyway - as far as the expansion itself, it was my understanding they were going to extend the east stand back over the railway line ?

I'd still rather a little less revenue than a bowl with no atmosphere like the Emirates.

I'd still rather a little less revenue than a bowl with no atmosphere like the Emirates.

Oh , I agree. I think there needs to be a balance.

Apparently the dippers put their ticket prices up this season and a lot of the fans are complaining that has affected the atmosphere at the ground. Nothing to do with the sh*te they are playing, of course .

Edited by Crem

I think the club (or some companies on the club's behalf) are only doing a feasibility study. Checking whether a temporary move is possible, where and how much it would cost while SB is redeveloped has to be part of any serious such paper. It doesn't necessarily mean that it will happen or even that the club is considering it.

First time poster but a long time reader here :)

Just wanted to express my enthusiasm from retaining Stamford Bridge as our home, as a kid I grew up in Chelsea a few minutes walk from the bridge and until this day I remember most of the walks I made to to the bridge on a match day so Stamford Bridge means quite a lot to me.

The first thing I do when I get to London these days is head to the bridge just to get the feeling that I have arrived home.

Although a lot of people were excited by the prospect of a new shiny stadium I'm sure there are quite a few here that have many memories from Stamford Bridge and would love to keep acquiring new ones there as well :)

Edited by jclark

I'm sure I read years ago that as part of the agreement between the RFU and Richmond Borough Council that Twickenham could only be used for a certain number of events each year. I don't know how many times a year Twickenham is used at the moment but having 19 football matches could result in a few complaints from the locals. Hope not given the extra revenue the local pubs, cafes etc will make.

Have been to Twickenham a couple of times for international games and it's an impressive stadium. Though I think the Millennium stadium in Cardiff is better.

I seem to recall Ken Bates saying before the last re-development of Stamford Bridge that building a 60,000 capacity stadium would be a bad move as he thought that the football bubble would burst and we would be left with loads of empty seats. Think Ken was wrong given the demand for tickets.

Perhaps as part of the re-development the club could push for terracing areas.

You're right about the limit on the number of events Twickenham can host I think but I've no idea what the number is. And it's not going to be a few residents complaining but almost all of them - they won't care about extra business. And they'll be mainly eloquent middle class types who know how to get their voices heard.

You're right about the limit on the number of events Twickenham can host I think but I've no idea what the number is. And it's not going to be a few residents complaining but almost all of them - they won't care about extra business. And they'll be mainly eloquent middle class types who know how to get their voices heard.

You're right. there will be loads of complaints. What could happen - and I don't think it's right and I hope I'm wrong - is that if Chelsea do move to Twickenham temporaily there could be a deal where the attendances are limited to say 50,000 to keep residents happy. Here's a thought: would the locals be happy with mid-week games. I'm not aware of Twickenham being used in the week but could be wrong.

They won't be happy with anything!!  To be fair, it would be major disruption every other week.  The main road from Central London and Richmond is shut every time there's a game at Twickenham because that's the way the fans have to walk from the station.  And that of course would be the road that would need to be shut towards the end of rush hour for midweek games - a main commuter route.  

That is true, but they also objected to concerts being held there a few years back and lost. The extra revenue is always a massive incentive to any council and that's one thing we would bring in.

The issues are the clashes with Quins matches (although with them playing on Sundays and Fridays and us playing Sundays and midweek then this issue could be minimised) and the internationals in November. 

I can see this going either way because there are issues, but they can be either minimised or mitigated with the extra revenue we'd bring in. This could all just be the club making the right noises to appease the CPO before moving elsewhere. 

I think our second home would be a better option! The FA still owe sh*t loads of money so us renting it for a season or two could help them out.

I still cant see how we will go from a 42k stadium to a 60k in one season. Surely there would be loads of work to do that would take more than a season to do.

My guess is they will just knock down one stand and then rebuild it bigger but that would surely have an impact on the rest of the stands.

I just cant see it being built in one season.

As Undertow said, I think these discussions have to be had as part of the feasability study and it's nothing more than that at this stage.  I wouldn't worry too much about if it's going to be Wembley or Twickers just yet, or the logistics of it, far more likely that they're getting an initial answer to the question; "is it something you would discuss?" rather than a firm plan or agreement.

There's a long way for this to run before we start playing games anywhere other than Stamford Bridge.