I think it looks good. Lets be real though, it wouldnt be the first time an architect created an eyesore they thought looked good. Happens all the time, saying "The architects wanted it to look that way" Isnt really an argument for anything.

Architecture is all about taste and as we all know taste is subjective.

I don't know of this PythinLu but he seemed to get a bit carried away with that post.... I have this image of him licking his top lip with a big grin as he frantically googled word definitions whilst composing the post.... checking back every 5 minutes to see if anyone has liked it yet. :-(

Try applying some logic based on context and start again.

I think it looks good. Lets be real though, it wouldnt be the first time an architect created an eyesore they thought looked good. Happens all the time, saying "The architects wanted it to look that way" Isnt really an argument for anything.

Architecture is all about taste and as we all know taste is subjective.

That's a very good point.

To be honest, I am not a big fan of what Herzog and De Meuron built in Beijing and Bordeaux, and the Allianz Arena isn't good either. In fact, I believe the new Stamford Bridge is their best work yet in the field. Given the restraints set by the site and the people living there that is a huge achievement. 

The design looks fantastic and I share the sentiments of others who love the fact that we're still remaining at our spiritual home.

Had we gone to Battersea for example, I wouldn't have felt as connected to it as I will now even with the stadium being completely re-designed.

The quote from the architect is clearly in reference to the wish to reflect the club's "specific atmosphere and history" on the site, their response to the local area and London  (gothic architecture, Westminster Abbey etc) in general. They also point out that in their view "It is beyond beauty or ugliness"  So they clearly state they don't think it's ugly (it's beyond that) .

'We have tried to make it a place where people will really feel at home ... a castle, or a medieval walled village ... something you wouldn't find anywhere else. It is beyond beauty or ugliness. It's about creating something unique'. 

"Pierre and I have always admired traditional English stadiums because of their specific atmosphere and history. Stamford Bridge has a rich history and is located at the core of a vibrant neighbourhood. Unlike an isolated stadium, it is part of the day to day life of the local community.”

In case anyone was wondering, they haven't made up their mind about the brick type they will use yet. After they have done a lot of research into the history of London Stock Bricks and their use across the capital, the following eight are now in contention:

3GqSqvm.jpg6G3rDuU.jpg510cAvN.jpg

They will use physical mock-ups to decide on the final choice. I personally like Brompton Cemetery, Serpentine Gallery and Lot's Road Power Station.

I think Ossies statue will be the only one. That's not because no other player deserves one, but because they want as much space as possible for the crowd to get into and out of the stadium smoothly. Because of that the carving you can see at the base of the piers isn't just there because it's pretty - it's supposed to give people more space to move around the stadium. Smart thinking there.

Edited by PythonLu

I think Ossies statue will be the only one. That's not because no other player deserves one, but because they want as much space as possible for the crowd to get into and out of the stadium smoothly. Because of that the carving you can see at the base of the piers isn't just there because it's pretty - it's supposed to give people more space to move around the stadium. Smart thinking there.

id like to see some sort of commemoration for Terry and his service to the club but modern players don't seem to get statues anymore