Alex Ferguson considering retiring before end of week?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, merely a rumour at the moment but not a Chelsea rumour, the potential repercussions deem it thread worthy.

As rumours of the 71-year-old’s imminent retirement swept Manchester, senior figures at the club failed to respond to repeated attempts to confirm or deny the story, which emerged following United’s player versus coaches golf day at Dunham Massey on Tuesday afternoon.

With United now forced to adhere to the strict rules and regulations of the New York Stock Exchange in terms of the release of significant information relating to the running of the club following last August’s partial flotation, any change of management would fall within those requirements.

As of Tuesday night, no statement over Ferguson’s future had been issued by United.

However, with sources close to the players confirming that the squad’s golf day had been overshadowed by suggestions that the Scot would be making an announcement ahead of Sunday’s clash with Swansea at Old Trafford, any ongoing uncertainty is unlikely to be allowed to continue to the point where it would affect the confidence of investors and, in turn, United’s New York share price.

When United’s owners, the Glazer family, issued its prospectus for the club’s £500m bond issue in January 2010, the prospect of Ferguson leaving the club and potentially jeopardising future success was raised by the Americans as one of the risk factors attached to investing in the club.

Telegraph

Obviously all conjecture at this stage, but this type of story doesn't get legs without a grain of truth given Fergie's pally relationship with the press.

Moyes will no doubt be a prime candidate if it happens, hopefully it wouldn't throw a spanner in the works vis a vis Jose's return.

Edited by Lofty 1905

Rumours are he is announcing it in his speech to the united fans in the final home game. Every year he addresses the fans on the pitch after final home game, and they reckon he will announce it then.

Pure rumour at the momen. Cant see it myself.

IF this is true, is there a possibility that JM's destination might be Old Trafford? (serious question - not posed to troll)

It's anyone's guess, he did publicly distance himself from the United role not too long ago and it is often said that the Glazer's wouldn't want him because of his image (Ironic, given Fergie's abrasive nature), but you can never say never in football.

Exactly my thoughts, makes me nervous.

The common wisdom about SAF's replacement is that it'll have to be a major managerial talent or someone like Moyes who has a lower profile but is thought of well. JM would fit the first category. I wonder whether he'd think that following on from SAF is too high risk (i.e. a hard act to follow and, given that the Man U fans throw a wobbly over one loss, how patient would they be with a new face?). Interesting, if true.

If it happens I actually hope the media campaign for Rafa to be given the job.

I keep hearing what a "great job" Rafa has done at Chelsea and how "grateful" I should be he is our manager despite him cocking up 3 semi finals (2 of which should have been trophies in the bag) and a string of cup games that consisted of the mighty Prague, Steau, Rubin Kazan and Basel (for FA Cup see Southampton, Brentford, Boro and a tired Man U side).

I also keep hearing how those big bad Chelsea fans of up to 30-40 years of support have mistreated poor old Rafa.

So it makes sense right? If Benitez has done such a great job and has been badly mistreated he deserves a whack at a top job? Where better than United?

Okay let's cut the crap here, the media deep down know Rafa is an average manager who would most likely leave United battling it out for top 4 next year, but in contrast happy to let Chelsea fail and effectively allow history to be re-writtten (what was it? 4 points off 1st when he came).

Rant Over.

Red Cafe making interesting reading. A mixture of distress at possibility of losing SAF, quite a lot of opposition to Moyes as a replacement and some speculation that United are going to 'gazump' Chelsea for JM.

One poster on Red Cafe saying that bookies have stopped taking bets on SAF retiring.

At mo, everything is speculation.

Edited by Thfc

He will be gone this year or next. This year looks like a good bet with either Moyes or JM or even Ancelotti at a left field appointment will all probably be available. 

Mourinho to United with 100 million to sign Bale and Ronaldo. Now there is a scary thought.

The common wisdom about SAF's replacement is that it'll have to be a major managerial talent or someone like Moyes who has a lower profile but is thought of well. JM would fit the first category. I wonder whether he'd think that following on from SAF is too high risk (i.e. a hard act to follow and, given that the Man U fans throw a wobbly over one loss, how patient would they be with a new face?). Interesting, if true.

not directly related to the thread but i have to comment how refreshing it is to have thfc on the shed end. granted your not a chelsea supporter but whenever I'm online you always offer interesting opinions and outsider views without trying to wind up cfc supporters

Guest RFC_CFC

@danroan: Hearing there could be a Utd statement as early as 10am tomorrow. Club officials on standby.

Just heard this on BBC Radio 5:

'...there's increasing speculation that Sir Alex Ferguson...(to announce retirement)'.

BBC hedging its bets - 'speculation' is vague, but they are also going with story. The poss JM angle aside, this could be a landmark week.

Radio 5 saying that large amounts have been bet on Moyes going to Man U. Could be insiders, etc trying to benefit from advanced info re. SAF.

I hope that JM does come to yous.

I have to ask why - if both of the above happen - we will win the league next season, it's almost a guarantee