good deal on external hard drive

g3.7

in these days of not stealing music and films and games and sandwich makers over the internet, some people will find that they do not need an external hard drive.

as one of these people, I've decided not to buy an external hard drive, even if this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...2&DOY=4m2&c=dow does seem like good value.

I also noted this 500gb model, and will avoid it like any other:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/B000EXZB0M/...7755616-1274213

Is there a particular reason why you want an external hard drive? Portability? Have a laptop?

If you are simply looking for expanded storage you are much better off just getting an internal hard drive. A 400GB Seagate SATA hard drive is down to about $120 or $130 these days. Almost 3.0 Gbps as compared to the wimpy 480 Mbps transfer of USB 2.0.

Matt,

What puts me off Vista, is all the bugs that came about when XP came out.

Could that happen again with this?

I plan not to dive into Vista for sometime yet until everyone knows where we are with it. I got XP the day it came out, and had probs with it at the start.

But what I've seen, looks good.

Looks good - I've had it in test version for about 2 months now and have yet to get a crash it. It's more secure than any Windows platform I've used before and I don't think large Service Packs (such as XP SP2) will be an issue. It all seems to be Windows Updates driven.

The install was the easiest Windows install I've ever done (am old enough to remember 3.11!) and nearly all the drivers were done on install - only one I think I had to go and find was the one for the webcam.

Due to the improved graphics it is more resource hungry than XP, but if you have a machine that is 2-3 years old with about 1Gb of RAM you will be fine.

I can't see myself jumping to Vista anytime in the next year or more. Most of the features that would have made Vista revolutionary were axed to get it out the door (e.g. WinFS).

Maybe once SP1 comes out, DX10 is launched and DX10 compatible video cards get affordable I'll consider it.

Is there a particular reason why you want an external hard drive? Portability? Have a laptop?

I swap between a few external drives cos my board isn't a SATA one and I already have 4 drives attached internally. icon_razz.gif

Vista... I think... if you're getting the Home Basic version, don't bother (unless of course it comes with the laptop, then it's fine icon_lol.gif ). I'm definitely not making the jump yet but the minimum anyone should switch to should be the Home Premium...

Adding RAM won't hurt any of your existing files, settings, programs, or anything. Just pop open the case to see how many DIMMs (memory modules) your motherboard can accept. On some older computers you used to have to add RAM in pairs or put certain ones in certain slots. I don't think that's the case for anything these days, thankfully...

If you add RAM the only thing you're likely to have to do is enter the BIOS once the first time you boot it up, exit and save everything, reboot. Good to go from then on.

Archived