Pre-Season Tour 2013

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Asia and USA confirmed now, how many games in total will it be, 8? Hope its not too many now when our players should be given a bit of a rest, especially the guys flying out for confederations cup as well.

Believe we fly out to Asia July 17th and then USA at the start of August.

Gourlay said we would see 2-3 new signings flying out on this tour, lets see if he keeps his word.

1. So Chelsea confirm our tour in US after our Asian tour. Will be watching the cup but yeah no rest for our players.

2. Looks like it's going to be a hectic pre-season. More attention being paid to CFC "The Brand" rather than players' well-being.

Have not really paid full attention to the dates but reading these I think there wont be much rest.

I'm sure the players will get a week or so of rest after the tours. 

Plus it will make sure we're fit for the start of the season. Most players are not 100% fit in the first couple of weeks of the prem.

Edited by JoeyN

Any idea what games we are playing in the US?

In USA it will be the Guinness International Champions Cup. We'll play three matches, but I'm not sure who we'll play against. The other teams taking part in the Guinness Cup are AC Milan, Inter, Juventus, Real Madrid, Valencia, Everton and LA Galaxy.

In USA it will be the Guinness International Champions Cup. We'll play three matches, but I'm not sure who we'll play against. The other teams taking part in the Guinness Cup are AC Milan, Inter, Juventus, Real Madrid, Valencia, Everton and LA Galaxy.

Ah I may have been getting my games mixed up...I thought that was the tournament in Asia

Ah I may have been getting my games mixed up...I thought that was the tournament in Asia

During the "2013 Here to Play, Here to Stay Tour in Asia" we'll play against "Singha All Stars" in the "Singha 80th Anniversary Cup". I'm not sure if it's par t of any cup competition, but we'll play against "Malaysia XI" and then go on to take part in the "Bank Negara Indonesia Cup" where we'll play against "Indonesia XI ". We could win three trophies before the UEFA Super Cup final... :happy001:

Edited by Maksimov

I'm confused by the brand business. I'm no businessman but I really couldn't get my head round why we went to the states post season and then played City twice using a hotch-potch of senior and youth players and making numerous substitutions.

I personally would think that you either protect your assets (players) and let them rest ready for next season or if the business of selling Chelsea in the states is more important you send your best players and play to win. I can't see what we gained by losing to City twice. They've just acquired a franchise over there and beaten a rival twice. I would think that their chief execs will be the happier after that few days.

Anyway, if I had my way we'd sack all the money grabbing trips around the world and have a sensible pre-season that involved playing carefully selected professional opponents in northern Europe. Keep the traveling down and keep all key staff close to home to focus on any transfer dealings. I'm sure that approach would pay dividends whilst all our rivals are suffering jet lag and organising transfer deals from different time zones. And then maybe we'd stand an improved chance of winning proper titles and it is winning the big trophies that truly inspires overseas football fans to buy our shirt over another club's shirt.

Rant over.

I'm confused by the brand business. I'm no businessman but I really couldn't get my head round why we went to the states post season and then played City twice using a hotch-potch of senior and youth players and making numerous substitutions.

I personally would think that you either protect your assets (players) and let them rest ready for next season or if the business of selling Chelsea in the states is more important you send your best players and play to win. I can't see what we gained by losing to City twice. They've just acquired a franchise over there and beaten a rival twice. I would think that their chief execs will be the happier after that few days.

Anyway, if I had my way we'd sack all the money grabbing trips around the world and have a sensible pre-season that involved playing carefully selected professional opponents in northern Europe. Keep the traveling down and keep all key staff close to home to focus on any transfer dealings. I'm sure that approach would pay dividends whilst all our rivals are suffering jet lag and organising transfer deals from different time zones. And then maybe we'd stand an improved chance of winning proper titles and it is winning the big trophies that truly inspires overseas football fans to buy our shirt over another club's shirt.

Rant over.

it was a good rant though :biggrin:

Rant over.

Regarding the USA tour, it was a stupid idea, but it was divised by us and City after we both went out of CL early.  Obviously we didn't know that we'd win the EL when we agreed to come for two games, but pretty sure it was a way for both clubs to add a little bit more to their bottom line for FFP-purposes.  

These pre season games are a good opportunity for youth so they can prove themselves. Most of the time anyway about 40% of the starting 11 is youth and reserves. 

you-dont-say.jpeg

I like these tours and think they play an important role not only in expanding the brand for financial purposes but also for team building and integrating new signings and youngsters into "the group".

As long as you're landing back in the country 8/9 days before the first fixture then I think they're a positive.