Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soulo

Should the World Cup be moved?

I think it should be moved given the protests, the corruption, the problems with the stadiums.

The protesters have some serious complaints, Brazil's economic advancement notwithstanding. The trouble is that the WC should not be used for political reasons, it needs to be about football. If this is what the Confederations Cup brings, millions in the streets and police violence I dread what the WC will become. Blatter waves the protests aside and will carry on like the stubborn c**t he is, more than likely because his he and his son or associates are about to lose millions in kickbacks and illegal tickets. Football is for the people, and increasingly with communications what they are for all the people. I'd prefer the WC be moved FIFA be damned because what is going to happen to Brazil.

Then the next one in some f**king 125 degree desert or in the middle of the club season...f**k FIFA. The WC should be scaled back and played in existing stadiums just as the Olympics should be. About the sport, not telling nations they must spend billions.

I thought this topic was going to be about Qatar which should bloody well be moved before it is too late.

As for the 2014 world cup, I think Brazil would be an amazing place for the fans and anyway it's too late now to make other arrangements.

The outrage has been on the streets for weeks if ya don't know. Because of all the money spent on venues that should've gone to the people. I don't watch any TV so I don't know what they show on that piece of garbage but Brazil has been rioting for weeks, that's why I feel this way. I know this isn't going to happen but it just shows what FIFA has come down to, a bunch of moneymongering c**ts.

This all has been happening in the background of the Confederations Cup, but I bet the that wasn't shown on sky news. That's why I don't watch the TV. Cause they only show you what they want you to see. Riots like these have been going on for months all over the world. Bahrain, Turkey, Brazil, Bulgaria and so on.. But they don't broadcast that on your 7 o clock news station so noone knows or gives a crap.

The money has already been spent and moving the World Cup somewhere else won't bring any of it back. If they moved the World Cup now, all that spending had been for nothing. I don't know about you, but that would make me mad as hell. I mean, what a waste that would be...

Well yeah, I agree with you at that. But it also makes me mad that the World Cup, the holy grail of the most beautiful game on earth, the game of peace, is being exhibited in this fashion. Brazil is the Samba country and if anyone would ask me where's the ideal place for a World Cup I would say Brazil anytime. But that said it should be about the beautiful game and it should be about the people. If the cost of hosting a World Cup is the people there living in poverty and having to go to the streets to riot to get the message across and yet still no news channel broadcoasts it. That makes me even more mad.

I know it won't be moved, I know that. It just makes me mad how this all is turning out.

I don't suppose this will help...

"Brazil referee decapitated after stabbing player"

Referee Otavio da Silva pulled a knife after amateur player Josenir dos Santos refused to leave the pitch

Football spectators in northern Brazil decapitated a referee after he fatally stabbed a player for refusing to leave the pitch, officials say.

An angry mob stormed the field during the amateur game in the state of Maranhao and stoned Otavio da Silva to death before severing his head.

Police said the murder was in retaliation for Mr Silva stabbing player Josenir dos Santos.

One man has been arrested over the killing and investigations continue.

The incident took place on 30 June in the remote town of Pio XII, but news of the event has been slow to emerge. The state's Public Safety Department said it started when the referee and Mr Santos got into fist fight after the player was sent off but refused to leave the pitch.

Mr Silva then pulled out a knife and wounded Mr Santos, who died on his way to the hospital.

The player's friends and relatives rushed onto the field, stoned the referee to death and dismembered his body, the department said in a statement. So far police have arrested a 27-year-old man in connection with the crime. "We will identify and hold accountable all those involved," police chief Valter Costa was quoted as saying by local media. "One crime will never justify another."

Link - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-23215676

It's all just proof that Brazil isn't the samba nation we all think it is no more. It's a very scary place and I doubt even the bravest of football fans will go there peacefully.

It's all just proof that Brazil isn't the samba nation we all think it is no more. It's a very scary place and I doubt even the bravest of football fans will go there peacefully.

There is definitely some truth to this statement.

My wife and I were set on going to Brazil for the 2014 WC. Over time, and these incidents don't help, we have been cooling on that idea. We just do not feel 100% sure about going to Brazil. We never have.

Instead, we are probably going to make a trip to Germany to watch some of the matches (while vacationing of course).

I thought this topic was going to be about Qatar which should bloody well be moved before it is too late.

Yes it should. And they better not determine that because of the heat that the WC will move to the winter months, that would just enrage me. Qatar has to build fully enclosed indoor stadiums otherwise the scorching heat will be too much for the fans and the players. It will still be ridiculously hot and there will not be much outdoor activity people will want to partake in and enjoy.

A good bit is that Ramadan will occur in early April or so in 2022. Otherwise that would add a whole extra layer of complexity to the situation. I have nothing against Ramadan, but a lot of places are closed throughout the day especially places to eat. That would make it extremely tough for those visiting to enjoy vacation life or trying to watch a match outside of the stadium.

Yes it should. And they better not determine that because of the heat that the WC will move to the winter months, that would just enrage me. Qatar has to build fully enclosed indoor stadiums otherwise the scorching heat will be too much for the fans and the players. It will still be ridiculously hot and there will not be much outdoor activity people will want to partake in and enjoy.

A good bit is that Ramadan will occur in early April or so in 2022. Otherwise that would add a whole extra layer of complexity to the situation. I have nothing against Ramadan, but a lot of places are closed throughout the day especially places to eat. That would make it extremely tough for those visiting to enjoy vacation life or trying to watch a match outside of the stadium.

a world cup in 55 degrees heat and no-one is allowed to drink

it's just a f**king joke

In all seriousness though this is something that the world media seem to have been told to keep quiet, unfortunate for them that the Internet is so powerful these days that the word gets out either way. The amount of Brazilian people who have woke up one morning to findout that their home is next on the list to be pulled down is in its 100s of thousands now. The Brazilian government who deserve praise for how they have turned the economy around over the last few years also deserve a severe reprimand for the treatment of the insignificant * to them * people. It seems like Brazil fooled alot of countries into voting for them to hold all these various comp's due to their new found financial structure, only to find that once the very thin layer of cream had disappeared from the top all that was left below was the same third world degradation that has been there for a very long time.

Quote " A recent poll showed more than 80 percent of Brazilians approve of recent protests.

After initially ignoring the demonstrations, FIFA officials are saying they have taken note of the social unrest. "

What are everyone's thoughts on Russia? Safe to travel to? Obviously wanted US to get it again, but was hoping otherwise for Australia, as that could be a lovely vacation.

a world cup in 55 degrees heat and no-one is allowed to drink

it's just a f**king joke

I'm generally wearing a coat when it is 55 degrees outside.

What are everyone's thoughts on Russia? Safe to travel to? Obviously wanted US to get it again, but was hoping otherwise for Australia, as that could be a lovely vacation.

Watch out for meteors.

Haven't been to a WC before, don't have the money in time for Brazil and certainly not keen on Qatar, so hopefully i'll be going to Russia in 2018 and tie it in as part of a Euro holiday. I know Russia isn't the standard bearer for safety but I think they'll be on their best behavior when they have the world's media spotlight.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter is determined to switch the 2022 World Cup to the winter because of the intense Qatar summer heat.

The head of world football's governing body is planning discussions over the change with his executive committee. The Premier League are opposed to the move as it would cause major disruption to league fixtures. Blatter said: "The executive committee will certainly follow my proposal. Then we will have dealt with it for good."

"We still have enough time," he added.

Blatter will hold talks with Fifa's executive committee in October about a change prompted by medical evidence highlighting the dangers of playing games in temperatures that average 40C in June and can reach 50C. The heat dips to an average of 20C during the winter months. The host nation is planning to play games in air-conditioned stadiums. But Blatter said: "The Fifa World Cup must be a festival of the people. But for it to be such a festival, you can't play football in the summer.

"You can cool down the stadiums but you can't cool down the whole country and you can't simply cool down the ambience of a World Cup. The players must be able to play in the best conditions to play a good World Cup." Moving the World Cup to the winter would significantly impact on the European leagues. Blatter insists it would only affect one season but the Premier League fear fixtures could be disrupted across Europe for three seasons

"The Premier League's view remains unchanged," a spokesman said. "We are opposed to the concept of a winter World Cup for very obvious practical reasons that would impact on all of European domestic football." The Football Association are believed to be concerned about the upheaval that would be required to domestic leagues to accommodate the switch.

But Mark Perryman, of the London England Supporters group, told the BBC his personal view was that a change to the timing of the World Cup should be welcomed.
He said: "It is high time we recognise that football is a world game. "Half the world in the southern hemisphere are effectively forced to play the World Cup in the middle of their season so why is there so much upset in European nations when they are expected to do the same?

"A lot of the Nordic and East European countries do not play in the winter because of the weather so this would not affect their own leagues. "So this is a rather Anglo-centric view that is being taken. There is a long time to go until the tournament so why can't we reorganise our season to allow a winter World Cup?"

Uefa president Michel Platini has previously stated he is willing to move European club competitions to enable the tournament to be held in winter.
He said: "If we play in winter, [it is] not a problem to organise it."

The head of Qatar's organising committee, Hassan Al-Thawadi, says his country would be willing to change their plans. "If it's a wish of the football community to have the World Cup in winter, then we are open to that," he said. Blatter had said in February 2011 that "everything is settled for summer", when asked about the potential for switching the tournament to the winter. But his change of heart followed medical information about the effects of the heat on players. "There has been a fresh medical investigation into what it would be like to play football there in the summer and we have to take into account the health, not of the spectators, but of the players," he told Sky Germany. 

Qatar defeated bids from South Korea, Japan, Australia and the United States to win a ballot of Fifa's 22 executive members for the right to host the 2022 World Cup. Meanwhile, Blatter said Brazil might be the wrong choice to host the 2014 World Cup if the tournament is affected by the wave of protests seen at the Confederations Cup last month. Hundreds of thousands of Brazilians took to the streets expressing their anger over the costs to stage the World Cup and demanding better public services. "If this happens again we have to question whether we made the wrong decision awarding the hosting rights," Blatter said. "We didn't do a political debriefing, but we did emphasise the fact of this social unrest being there for the entire duration of the Confederations Cup. "The government is now aware that next year the World Cup shouldn't be disturbed." He added: "It's not we who have to learn lessons from the protests in Brazil; politics in Brazil have to do that."

My opinion on the Qatar World Cup is, how can you decide to switch the timing of the event being held after the bid has already been won?

Surely you vote under the assumption that the host nation is bidding to hold the event at the usual time of year? How can the bid be amended after the votes have been cast?

I think if it is to be moved to Winter then the voting process needs to be done again.

Qatar is so bad that people aren't even questioning any problems that might arise with Russia.

While the World Cup is fun to watch, It's like a drug that makes you happy and joyous in the beginning then leaves you with crippling debt and terrible health as it runs out and disappears. Please stop making countries build stadiums and infrastructure to support a one month tournament in which FIFA takes a cut of everything despite contributing the least.