Cesc Fabregas

Ballack & Blu

I still think Fabregas has a role with us but at age 29, given his history, I'm beginning to wonder if selling him now while he is valuable would be a good idea.

Although 29 is far from old in a player of his position and style you have to remember he's been playing first-team, top flight football in England since he was 17. He has a LOT of miles on the clock for a 29 year old, in high intensity environments like Arsenal and Barcelona, and he's lost a bit of his athleticism.

I think that football in 2016 has sort of moves beyond the point where you can play a static playmaker pinging passes to forwards, especially in the EPL. Modern midfielders are both more mobile and more technical than before.

11 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Whenever a player doesn't get a few games, all we hear is that player will be leaving. If we sell all of these players then we won't have a squad big enough for Premier League.

Well it's not quite a few games is it, 1 start out of 7 in the league for a team with no European football doesn't take much to guess his not a Conte type of player. Did he even come on in the last game? Pundits thought he would be leaving at the end of August.

For Fabregas to be in the team he would have to start and make himself unstoppable but it's getting those chances. Matic, Oscar and Willian all come before Fabregas.

It will be really difficult for him to get a game, when is the next Carling cup game? After the Arsenal debacle ( not necessarily Cesc's fault), I don't see Conte risking much in his team selection, unless we are playing Sunderland at home or serious injury problems. He will get a cameo if we are chasing the game, 2 strikers and Cesc as the last resort. I don't think Conte is comfortable to play Cesc if we are holding on to a 1:0. If we are cruising like last week, probably no point playing him either apart from give him some minutes. He could play in a midfield 3 beside Matic/Kante in 352 ,but dropping either Willian or Hazard will be a very tough call.

On 7/10/2016 at 15:31, didierforever said:

If oscar/mikel somehow outlast him, then there is something very wrong at this club

or to be more accurate is the manager, he's the one who picked the team..   Conte will only use cesc if we're chasing the game which means he never intended to involve cesc in his original safety first plan but did his original plan work?? Apart from burnley and to a lesser extent hull, I would say it's hardly working, not to mention both burnley and hull were atrocious on that day..

Given the manager's playing style, we somehow are lacking offensively and I just think you don't go and further make things worse by breaking up cesc-costa combination.. I certainly don't enjoy the way we're playing at the moment overall..

3 hours ago, bola said:

Conte will only use cesc if we're chasing the game which means he never intended to involve cesc in his original safety first plan but did his original plan work?

Fabregas was Conte's 'plan A' against Arsenal, say no more.

It's obvious he will leave in January but am sure we will later regret allowing him to go because you will pay a lot to find someone as creative as he is but it will be cheaper to find an upgrade on the likes of Matic and Oscar who will be here for a long time.

1 hour ago, Englishman said:

And his plan A against Liverpool was to leave Fabregas on the bench for 80 minutes, not exactly a roaring success.

Maybe it's Conte's plans that are the problem.

I agree the Liverpool game was poor, but it was the defence that went to sleep for the first goal, the second goal was a screamer from Henderson. And Liverpool are on a run and have looked like the best team in the league this last month.

The Arsenal game was probably the worst performance i have seen from any Chelsea midfield this century, we made them look good, it was that bad, that's why Conte pulled Cesc after just 55 mins.

1 hour ago, coco said:

I agree the Liverpool game was poor, but it was the defence that went to sleep for the first goal, the second goal was a screamer from Henderson. And Liverpool are on a run and have looked like the best team in the league this last month.

The Arsenal game was probably the worst performance i have seen from any Chelsea midfield this century, we made them look good, it was that bad, that's why Conte pulled Cesc after just 55 mins.

Yeah it was all Cesc's fault. Kante was absolutely awful that game, the ref was quicker to get back than him.

1 hour ago, Ernie_blue said:

Yeah it was all Cesc's fault. Kante was absolutely awful that game, the ref was quicker to get back than him.

Have you got a problem with your reading ? I put 'midfield', which includes Kante.

Conte obviously thought we would do better taking off a midfielder and bringing a defender and switching to three at the back. The midfielder he took off was Cesc, make of that what you like, but we din't concede again after that.

1 hour ago, coco said:

Have you got a problem with your reading ? I put 'midfield', which includes Kante.

Conte obviously thought we would do better taking off a midfielder and bringing a defender and switching to three at the back. The midfielder he took off was Cesc, make of that what you like, but we din't concede again after that.

At 0-3 down it was just about damage limitation by then, so swapping a creative midfielder for more defensive-minded players was hardly surprising. Even so, us not conceding again was probably more because Arsenal were happy to coast through the rest of the match than anything we did.

In my opinion we need a creative midfielder and Cesc is one of the best in the world. He doesn't defend well, but he is not the problem, the problem has been the crap defence we have. Populating our midfield with defensive players hasn't solved the problem, and we lack creativity in the attacking front. Get sorted the denfence and we can play Cesc as a starter.

1 hour ago, Englishman said:

At 0-3 down it was just about damage limitation by then, so swapping a creative midfielder for more defensive-minded players was hardly surprising. Even so, us not conceding again was probably more because Arsenal were happy to coast through the rest of the match than anything we did.

Exactly, the game was won and over by then. Arsenal just sat back and took it easy, tbh they still had more chances in the second half but I think they missed them because Fabregas wasn't on the pitch.

53 minutes ago, RMH said:

In my opinion we need a creative midfielder and Cesc is one of the best in the world. He doesn't defend well, but he is not the problem, the problem has been the crap defence we have. Populating our midfield with defensive players hasn't solved the problem, and we lack creativity in the attacking front. Get sorted the denfence and we can play Cesc as a starter.

Chelsea don't need 4 defensive minded midfielders and leave Hazard to do all the work. No other top team does it or maybe Chelsea are not a top team anymore.

54 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Chelsea don't need 4 defensive minded midfielders and leave Hazard to do all the work. No other top team does it or maybe Chelsea are not a top team anymore.

And that is exactly what I mean. We need a creative, attacking midfielder. Sort out the defence, that is what is really needed.

I'd like to see Cesc play in the system we used against Hull, I think he'd do well in the deep midfield role sitting behind Costa and the two attacking midfielders.

Always going to be that question mark about if he'll be good enough defensively but with up to six other defence minded players in the team I think he can be allowed some creative licence. 

29 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I'd like to see Cesc play in the system we used against Hull, I think he'd do well in the deep midfield role sitting behind Costa and the two attacking midfielders.

Always going to be that question mark about if he'll be good enough defensively but with up to six other defence minded players in the team I think he can be allowed some creative licence. 

That's a good point, a team needs someone like Fabregas who can play balls into the channels, over the top or in short for players like Hazard. It's gives variety and his passing accuracy is good. Chelsea are not going to get this from Kante and Matic, it's not there job so it can't be expected. Others have made the comparison and so have I but Fabregas and Carzola are very similar players and Arsenal play Carzola.

5 hours ago, wallosh said:

Well Conte probably thinks swapping Fabregas for Bonucci is the solution to EVERYTHING.

2 hours ago, dkw said:

And your basing this ridiculous statement on what?

I guess he refers to the reports that say that Conte would be willing to swap Hazard for Bonucci, and Juve would have asked for Cesc instead of Hazard. But these are just rumours, and ridiculous in my opinion.

He will easily fit in when you play him deep and that's when you can also get the best out of Costa.
And sometimes I wonder why we still worry about Fabregas' defending when we have already signed Kante for 30m so he can be the defensive midfielder to provide cover for the defence. Is Kante not up to the job? Fernadinho is doing that job alone for Manchester City and they are scoring goals. Yet I won't take Fernandinho over Kante on current form.