Willian

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

It seems to me that some people have been against Willian since before he even kicked a ball for us. Immediately after his signing he was written off as "too expensive" (not really his fault) and "not needed" (we had a glut of AMs at the time, again not his fault), and it has carried on from there. I don't think it matters what he does they will always find some reason to knock him. 

If he wasn't aiming to score, and the ball ends up in the net - that's flukey to me!

I don't mind it either way - he seems to be the only player who gives a toss at the moment, maybe signing Pedro has made Willian step up a bit.

Id say a fluke is where you mish*t the ball, or it doesnt go where you intend it to. Willian puts the ball where he does because it increases the possibility of it going in. Id say it's fantastic skill rather than a fluke. But either way, as long as it goes in who cares?

When Zola scored a goal like that, it was genius. When Willian does it, it's a fluke. I wonder what the reaction would be if it had been Mr. Magic Hat who scored those goals...

My point entirely.

Put a free kick, angled, over the top like that.

It's perfect. As Zola did, so many times. The keeper can't go for it, as he'd leave an open goal with ANY contact. Horrible to defend.

Willian's got it right this season, on that front. Jammy he is not.

Oscar got a similar one, but I think (from his reaction) that it was a cross.

Willian's free kicks have really improved this season, to the point where I actually feel like we're a threat from direct free kicks, which is something we haven't REALLY had since Mata and Lampard. They haven't been flukes, if it was a once off then maybe, but he's scored several free kicks this season with similar techniques. I think overall he's been our best player so far this season (not saying much, but he's played well while everyone else has been giving themselves colonoscopies with their own fingers)

My point entirely.

Put a free kick, angled, over the top like that.

It's perfect. As Zola did, so many times. The keeper can't go for it, as he'd leave an open goal with ANY contact. Horrible to defend.

Willian's got it right this season, on that front. Jammy he is not.

Oscar got a similar one, but I think (from his reaction) that it was a cross.

They are nightmare free kicks to defend, you have no idea what to do. Keeper can't come for it as if an attacker gets a touch hrs stranded, defenders can't attack it because its out of reach until it dips at the end etc. I hate them when I'm defending, love them when a Chelsea player puts one in.

Not just in this moment. He was pretty much the same towards the end of last season as well. And he has firmly established his presence in his national side. Turning into a little beast.

Exactly. He's just picked up from where he left off at the end of last season. It's just taken some people a long time to recognize it.

He was one of our best performing players today. Showed good effort and workrate and almost scored from a freekick too.

One of the few players who was able to replicate their form from last season.

At this rate, he stands a high chance to win our POTY.

The biggest problem this season is consistency of each individual. There are two guys that consistently play well every game, and that is this guy and Azpilicueta. The rest have good and bad days. For instance, a couple of weeks ago I was singing Ramires praise after a good game, but he was poor today, likewise with Matic. There was a couple of others that stepped it up today, but there was some awful performances out there. The problem is, we had 5 or 6 good performers today and 5 or 6 poor. This doesn't win titles, we need 10 or 11 good performers week in week out.

Willian has taken the bull by horns and is working his arse off every game, if only the rest of the team could follow his example!!

The biggest problem this season is consistency of each individual. There are two guys that consistently play well every game, and that is this guy and Azpilicueta. The rest have good and bad days. For instance, a couple of weeks ago I was singing Ramires praise after a good game, but he was poor today, likewise with Matic. There was a couple of others that stepped it up today, but there was some awful performances out there. The problem is, we had 5 or 6 good performers today and 5 or 6 poor. This doesn't win titles, we need 10 or 11 good performers week in week out.

Willian has taken the bull by horns and is working his arse off every game, if only the rest of the team could follow his example!!

It's so frustrating that we finally have Willian delivering in attack when the rest of the squad is playing sh*t.