Jump to content


Mike 93

Willian


Recommended Posts

Despite the goal last night I thought he had a poor game. 

Was wasteful with openings in the final third and his finishing was wayward (even his shot for the goal was badly struck). 

Given Pedro's injury we need him to step it up as he's likely to start against West Ham on Sunday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cannot say I am surprised that, with Eden off his game and we needing someone else to step up, Willian goes missing, again.

Seriously if CHO is not getting a go play Ruben there, or push Barkley to the pedro position but I would prefer Ross in for Kova and RLC in for pedro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone explain to me why he's still allowed to take all of our set pieces? 

We had 8 corners and 2 or 3 free kicks in good positions and they didn't lead to any good chances. 

The quality of his delivery isn't great, same goes for open play. Surely Hazard or Jorginho could whip in a decent corner? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Cannot say I am surprised that, with Eden off his game and we needing someone else to step up, Willian goes missing, again.

Seriously if CHO is not getting a go play Ruben there, or push Barkley to the pedro position but I would prefer Ross in for Kova and RLC in for pedro

Pedro has been on fire so far this season, why would you put RLC in for him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But, with the very best will in the world, whatever has RLC ever done to indicate that he is the same sort of player as either Pedro or Willian?  RLC is a left-sided mid-fielder, the other two are predominantly rightsided wing attackers.

I want RLC to  succeed, but that sort of suggestion is the absolute dictionary definition of a "square peg in a round hole".  Give the lad at least a fighting chance of making an impression by playing him in his proper position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Can someone explain to me why he's still allowed to take all of our set pieces? 

We had 8 corners and 2 or 3 free kicks in good positions and they didn't lead to any good chances. 

The quality of his delivery isn't great, same goes for open play. Surely Hazard or Jorginho could whip in a decent corner? 

I can't understand it. He's been taking them since he joined the club and he's never been good at it. His set pieces are terrible. Almost every free kick or corner from Willian is played into the keepers hands or low towards the near post. We are relying on a goalkeeper error or a brilliant flick on just to convert one of Willian's set pieces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I can't understand it. He's been taking them since he joined the club and he's never been good at it. His set pieces are terrible. Almost every free kick or corner from Willian is played into the keepers hands or low towards the near post. We are relying on a goalkeeper error or a brilliant flick on just to convert one of Willian's set pieces. 

Checking his assists record, he has 24 direct assists for Chelsea in 207 games (not including domestic cup competitions as they're not included on the site I looked on). 

That's an average of 1 assist every 8.6 games. 

For a player that takes almost every corner and free kick when he's on the pitch that's appallingly bad. 

I have no idea where he got this reputation for being a dead ball specialist from because he's not and I wish he would stop being allowed to take so many of them when we've got players like Fabregas, Hazard, Jorginho and even Alonso who (in my opinion) have consistently shown better vision and passing ability than Willian. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

Checking his assists record, he has 24 direct assists for Chelsea in 207 games (not including domestic cup competitions as they're not included on the site I looked on). 

That's an average of 1 assist every 8.6 games. 

For a player that takes almost every corner and free kick when he's on the pitch that's appallingly bad. 

I have no idea where he got this reputation for being a dead ball specialist from because he's not and I wish he would stop being allowed to take so many of them when we've got players like Fabregas, Hazard, Jorginho and even Alonso who (in my opinion) have consistently shown better vision and passing ability than Willian. 

For comparison, Hazard has 41 assists in 214 premier league appearances. So 1 assist every 5.2 games, while not taking any set pieces. 

Pedro with 13 assists in 100 games, so 1 every 7.6 games while also still not taking set pieces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether you think Willian is good enough or not, his issues within the team is that he is all too similar to Hazard - only worse at everything. They like to hold on to the ball, take on players instead of a short give-and-go pass and both strongly prefers the ball played in their feet. On that right flank, we need constant movement off the ball to benefit from our possession oriented left side. It doesn't help when Giroud is playing either, who's only (albeit a good one) ability is to receive the ball in feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need a left footed player on that RW, it's that simple. Pedro is ambidextrous so he is really useful for us, and like Sarri said, he has the movement off ball. The guy we should be going for in January is Lucas Paqueta of Flamengo (I think) he is a tricky wide attacker with a left foot. We should be getting somebody like that who won't be valued at stupid money but is young and has massive potential. He is already talked about as one of, if not the best player in Brazil. These are the guys we should be going for before their price increases and they are going to one of the other big clubs in Europe. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I believe he is talking about in the instance when Pedro is injured like at the weekend.

Yeah exactly. If fit then pedro would be my pick.

 

3 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

But, with the very best will in the world, whatever has RLC ever done to indicate that he is the same sort of player as either Pedro or Willian?  RLC is a left-sided mid-fielder, the other two are predominantly rightsided wing attackers.

I want RLC to  succeed, but that sort of suggestion is the absolute dictionary definition of a "square peg in a round hole".  Give the lad at least a fighting chance of making an impression by playing him in his proper position.

Because even his most inept performance would be better than Willian who's stats are appealing and only look that 'good' cause he can deliver gloss goals and assists when we are already 2 or more ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, enigma said:

 

Looks decent, although I'm not sure he would get a work permit. 

I think Thauvin would be a good signing, struggled in his spell at Newcastle, but he seems to have matured a lot as player, he scored 26 past season, and this season he already has 6 from 7 games. At 25 he is ready contribute now, and we aren't going to be talking about his potential. I can't see him costing too much either, Marseille aren't really known for bringing in inflated fees for players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, big blue said:

Looks decent, although I'm not sure he would get a work permit. 

I think Thauvin would be a good signing, struggled in his spell at Newcastle, but he seems to have matured a lot as player, he scored 26 past season, and this season he already has 6 from 7 games. At 25 he is ready contribute now, and we aren't going to be talking about his potential. I can't see him costing too much either, Marseille aren't really known for bringing in inflated fees for players.

Good shout, didn't realise he had done so well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Because even his most inept performance would be better than Willian who's stats are appealing and only look that 'good' cause he can deliver gloss goals and assists when we are already 2 or more ahead.

 

14 hours ago, IliyaKrostin said:

Wilfried Zaha worth a shot as well.

Is there a circus in town? We appear to have a lot of clowns posting now.  I didn't see the funny car parked outside, but maybe I missed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Willian's sh*t but yet takes most of our set pieces and plays way too many games! Need to go for bailey or someone of a similar ilk and keep Pedro around as a second option and move this guy on asap can't stand him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/09/2018 at 16:05, RIP Mourinho said:

For comparison, Hazard has 41 assists in 214 premier league appearances. So 1 assist every 5.2 games, while not taking any set pieces. 

Pedro with 13 assists in 100 games, so 1 every 7.6 games while also still not taking set pieces. 

In Mourinho's last season where everyone was bad he made a few goals from free kicks and was kind of the standout player (not really), therefor king of freekicks since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, enigma said:

We need a left footed player on that RW, it's that simple. Pedro is ambidextrous so he is really useful for us, and like Sarri said, he has the movement off ball. The guy we should be going for in January is Lucas Paqueta of Flamengo (I think) he is a tricky wide attacker with a left foot. We should be getting somebody like that who won't be valued at stupid money but is young and has massive potential. He is already talked about as one of, if not the best player in Brazil. These are the guys we should be going for before their price increases and they are going to one of the other big clubs in Europe. 

If we are going to upgrade, we need somebody better than Willan, not somebody who is worse or just as good. Lucas Paqueta seems to have the same problem as Willian, lot's of flair, but little end product. I don't see how he would be an upgrade. He comes across like a massive show boater too. I love flashy football, but do it in the right areas of the pitch, not in your own half or when there is better option available in front of you. If we are going to judge him on those videos, then it's fair to say his end product is more miss than hit. 

If this guy is the best in Brazil, then Brazil must be going through a poor patch. 9 goals and 5 assists aren't exactly great stats for a league like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

If we are going to upgrade, we need somebody better than Willan, not somebody who is worse or just as good. Lucas Paqueta seems to have the same problem as Willian, lot's of flair, but little end product. I don't see how he would be an upgrade. He comes across like a massive show boater too. I love flashy football, but do it in the right areas of the pitch, not in your own half or when there is better option available in front of you. If we are going to judge him on those videos, then it's fair to say his end product is more miss than hit. 

If this guy is the best in Brazil, then Brazil must be going through a poor patch. 9 goals and 5 assists aren't exactly great stats for a league like that.

Paqueta is very highly regarded, he has played most his matches in centre midfielder according transfermarket, so his numbers aren't too bad. Not really the answer for our right wing, he could probably play there, but it doesn't look like his best position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Willian's been a solid servant for this club but I think that his time here is slowly drawing to a close.

For mine, his last season was his worst for this club overall and he's been quite patchy this season.

The difficulty here is that there is no clear replacement for him. The likes of Zaha are a downgrade in most respects, while Lucas Paqueta is an AM, not a RW (and IMO we would need to loan him out for a season or two before playing him). 

Bailey could be that guy - he has upside but Chelsea fans will need to be very patient with him because while he is very quick, he is IMO technically quite unrefined for a winger, selfish and very inconsistent. He will score some goals but his general decision-making will frustrate. Hopefully he can improve with experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My biggest problem with Bill is that he is quite predictable with his movement, the West Ham game being a further highlight, there was so much space out on the right wing at times and yet he was almost always tucked infield, all this talk of a left footer on the right is bollocks IMO you do at times need a player that can beat the defender on the outside and cut it back into the box instead of cutting back in and looking to shoot. I know Morata is slated (and rightly so) but if you had a dozen crosses a game coming in you would hope that one would hit his arse and go in, he does get into decent positions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×