Jump to content


Mike 93

Willian


Recommended Posts


What I think on Willian is that he cannot really cross from the by-line yet when in open play he used to break the defensive line and twist and turn confusing defenders and getting time to look up and chip in a short cross for Morata or Giroud. Don't see that happening recently and think because no-one is overlapping with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Strider6003 said:

What I think on Willian is that he cannot really cross from the by-line yet when in open play he used to break the defensive line and twist and turn confusing defenders and getting time to look up and chip in a short cross for Morata or Giroud. Don't see that happening recently and think because no-one is overlapping with him.

I also don't think Willian is working so hard either, I always use to think he worked hard when without the ball, but don't see it now, if we were offered 50/60 mill in summer then in hindsight we should of taken it, problem is I don't always trust the club to spend wisely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont think playing Hazard and Willian together is compatible to the Sarri system, both have the tendency to come deep looking for the ball and we end up playing more as 4-5-1 rather than 4-3-3. Unfortunately for Willian between him and Hazard it's a no-brainer in regards to who plays, Pedro is more of a goal threat and occupies defenses alongside the striker and Hazard can have that free role to roam.

I wouldnt mind experimenting with Willian in the midfield role rotating with Kante as I dont think he has the goal threat we need to play in that advanced position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

We could also play with Willian, Hazard and Pedro as our front three with Hazard as the no.9.

We did this under Conte with mixed results yet not tried so far under Sarri.

Imo Sarii has to fiddle with it come soon, he has to....it will be a proto-type but should give a glance if it has potential........cuz our strikers simply not any good, Giroud can do a decent job now and again but come'on this is Chels, im all at seas how the Club thought this a good idea,  Sarii will do his best to improve us but f**k me he aint no omnipotent force who can do everything......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It amuses me that commentators are always waxing lyrical about what a quality player he is... The supposed 'experts' do not know more than the fans. One of the most inconsistent players we've ever had and certainly one of the worst in terms of end product. I find him extremely frustrating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BenCFC19 said:

It amuses me that commentators are always waxing lyrical about what a quality player he is... The supposed 'experts' do not know more than the fans. One of the most inconsistent players we've ever had and certainly one of the worst in terms of end product. I find him extremely frustrating

It annoys me too. They are so lazy. He's scored the old worldy & he's Brazilian - he MUST be great. You just imagine if we had sold him to United - it would be Matic all over again. "What are Chelsea doing selling yet another Superstar player to one of their biggest rivals", forgetting that Matic looks bang average these days.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, BenCFC19 said:

It amuses me that commentators are always waxing lyrical about what a quality player he is... The supposed 'experts' do not know more than the fans. One of the most inconsistent players we've ever had and certainly one of the worst in terms of end product. I find him extremely frustrating

A bit like Glen Hoddle last night, its almost like he can't understand why Kovacic plays ahead of Barkley and Loftus Cheek. I think Kovacic is a level above both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually thought Willian did okay last night, bar a couple of sloppy passes, he certainly had more of an impact than giroud, fabregas, or Moses. 

We desperately need an overhaul of the attackers though, I know there is this narrative that we turned down £60m for him, but I read a couple of reports that said barca's highest bid was around half of that, which is a little bit more believable, when you consider the likelihood that 1) barca would offer £60m for 30 year old that wouldn't even be a guarenteed starter for them, and 2) chelsea turn down £60m for a 30 year old, that would be highly replaceable with that fee. 

Out of the 6 attackers on our books, Morata, Giroud, Batshuayi, Hazard, Willian, and Pedro, how many of them will still be here in 2 year's time? 

It's going to be very costly to freshen up those attacking options in the next 18 months.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, big blue said:

Out of the 6 attackers on our books, Morata, Giroud, Batshuayi, Hazard, Willian, and Pedro, how many of them will still be here in 2 year's time? 

It's going to be very costly to freshen up those attacking options in the next 18 months.

Like your post, I didn't believe the £60m figure either. Regardless of that, I think your last point is good one. If we can keep RLC I think he could be one and Hazard if he does not stay will generate funds. Even that still leaves 4 positions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

Like your post, I didn't believe the £60m figure either. Regardless of that, I think your last point is good one. If we can keep RLC I think he could be one and Hazard if he does not stay will generate funds. Even that still leaves 4 positions.

I'm not getting too carried away with RLC, 24 hours ago, there were very few posters believing he would make it here, but a hatrick against some postman, and he's back in the reckoning.

No offense to you mate, just funny how quickly opinions change in football. 

I hope RLC does stick around though, but I wouldn't have thought he will be in that attacking 3 over the next 2 years, especially if sarri sticks around, he will be competing for the centre midfield places. 

Maybe CHO will step up, he looked raw last night, but I like that he didn't play safe, and wasn't afraid to miss. It would certainly save us some money in the long run, because by my reckoning, a top striker, and winger, could cost us over £150m, with fees rising every year.

Apart from hazard, who we don't want to lose at any cost, the other 5 players aren't going to bring big money due to age or form, so it will be interesting to see if we are willing and able to bring in quality, while not being able to offset the fees with selling players. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jack_super_class said:

A bit like Glen Hoddle last night, its almost like he can't understand why Kovacic plays ahead of Barkley and Loftus Cheek. I think Kovacic is a level above both.

I think Hoddle made a valid point. A supposedly top class attacking midfielder not scoring a goal for almost two years? I don't think he has shown enough yet to make him a nailed on starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, just said:

I think Hoddle made a valid point. A supposedly top class attacking midfielder not scoring a goal for almost two years? I don't think he has shown enough yet to make him a nailed on starter.

Sarri obviously does, he puts in a great shift defensively aswell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much better in the 'Hazard' role than in the Pedro role.

Not too surprised because his style of play approximates Hazard's more than Pedro's, plus he had Barkley (a more creative presence than Kante) to help set him up.

Could have scored two goals. His only goal was a trademark Willian belter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't think Sarri was too pleased about having to leave him on for the 90 last night. In an ideal world he would have been given a well deserved rest on the hour after having started nine games on the trot. He looked jaded in the final twenty minutes but needs must kept him on the pitch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, charierre said:

I wouldn't think Sarri was too pleased about having to leave him on for the 90 last night. In an ideal world he would have been given a well deserved rest on the hour after having started nine games on the trot. He looked jaded in the final twenty minutes but needs must kept him on the pitch. 

He's been playing out of necessity as much as anything. He's about the only player not being rested or rotated right now but it's mainly because of injuries and illness to Hazard and Pedro.

Moses has looked nothing short of woeful in the limited minutes he's been given. RLC has started to emerge as an alternative in those wide areas but that's literally happened in the last week. 

Hudson-Odoi looked pretty raw when he came on last week, perhaps a little too eager to make an impression on the game but can't say he looked great. 

Hopefully Pedro and Hazard are both fit for the weekend because I think Willian could do with sitting out a couple of games, especially with the busy Christmas schedule not too far away.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

He's been playing out of necessity as much as anything. He's about the only player not being rested or rotated right now but it's mainly because of injuries and illness to Hazard and Pedro.

Moses has looked nothing short of woeful in the limited minutes he's been given. RLC has started to emerge as an alternative in those wide areas but that's literally happened in the last week. 

Hudson-Odoi looked pretty raw when he came on last week, perhaps a little too eager to make an impression on the game but can't say he looked great. 

Hopefully Pedro and Hazard are both fit for the weekend because I think Willian could do with sitting out a couple of games, especially with the busy Christmas schedule not too far away.  

agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/10/2018 at 08:10, RIP Mourinho said:

Showed a good turn of pace yesterday but once again absolutely no end product.

Surprisingly the best comment about Willian on his Sundays performance came from you.

I don't think he was bad at all, he kept the game flowing better than the likes of Kante, Barkley and Morata he just showed no end product, didn't take any risks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/10/2018 at 08:10, RIP Mourinho said:

Showed a good turn of pace yesterday but once again absolutely no end product.

 

4 hours ago, Slojo said:

Surprisingly the best comment about Willian on his Sundays performance came from you.

I don't think he was bad at all, he kept the game flowing better than the likes of Kante, Barkley and Morata he just showed no end product, didn't take any risks. 

Other than scoring an incorrectly dis-allowed goal, obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×