Mike 93

Willian

2 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I don't think he regrets it at all though and i won't be giving him a break. I'm sick of the unprofessional behaviour we get from some our players every season, things like this don't happen at other clubs, and if they do, they are dealt with. We just let it slide though. For too long we have let player power have too much of an impact on this club. 

If this was a one off with our players, i would probably let it slide, but we don't seem to go a full season without one of our players acting childish.

Fully agree. 

It's not just the incident itself (which is undeniably embarrassisng for the club), but it's the example it sets to all other players (most of which are younger than him). 

I honestly think what he did is disgraceful, and would make an example of him. 

Wouldn't be arsed even a little bit if he left. He's spent 5 years. Would be good if we could throw him + a few millions at United for Martial. Have United taste a bit of the old "Jose binning your promising young talent for old dross" medicine.

Now that all you lot have vented your animosity towards Willian over what,  on the face of it, looks to be a childish and petulant outburst on his part, and the dust has had time to settle, other than the fact that some arse twatted it, is there any proof that

a) This image ever actually existed, and

b) That Willian actually posted it?

I don't do twatter or instagram, so I don't pick up on these things as quick as you young 'uns, but someone posted a link in another thread to an SBNATION article, that had the offending image on it.  When you click that image, you go off to the source twat, where a very large number of the comments are saying that the picture is faked, that it doesn't exist on any of Willian's accounts on any social media,and that the whole thing is bollocks.

Now, I don't know either way, but I find it quite interesting that so many of us in here were willing to accept the truth of an accusation without bothering to discover whether there was any basis in fact at all,  but were quite happy to sharpen the  pitchforks, light the torches and go marching off in self-righteous indignation to confront and abuse something that may never have happened, done or not done by someone with either malevolent or "comedic"  intentions.

As I said, I don't use social media, so I may well be unaware of some sort of in-built invisibility-ness of some things or other that only those with the sharpest pitchforks can see, but the level  of abuse hurled at Willian in here and elsewhere for something that I can't find, even using the best google tips my comedy-haired mate taught me, strikes me as being just a tad "end-of-seasony, we haven't won the league, who can we scapegoat" blamestorming.

I would sell him to Utd if we can get £60m+ or straight swap for Martial. In the right system Martial is a 15+ goals player, Willian has only hit 10+ goals once in his career. Martial has hit 10+ goals twice already in his career, and stats wise was more productive this season.

On the face of it he looks like he could solve their RW problem, but I think he could actually make it worse. Sanchez on the left would always come inside same as Willian would, Lukaku thrives on early crosses but both players tend to overplay & take the extra touch. I would be more worried if Utd ended up with a Mahrez, whose output is far superior.

57 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

Now that all you lot have vented your animosity towards Willian over what,  on the face of it, looks to be a childish and petulant outburst on his part, and the dust has had time to settle, other than the fact that some arse twatted it, is there any proof that

I don't do twatter or instagram, so I don't pick up on these things as quick as you young 'uns, but someone posted a link in another thread to an SBNATION article, that had the offending image on it.  When you click that image, you go off to the source twat, where a very large number of the comments are saying that the picture is faked, that it doesn't exist on any of Willian's accounts on any social media,and that the whole thing is bollocks.

Now, I don't know either way, but I find it quite interesting that so many of us in here were willing to accept the truth of an accusation without bothering to discover whether there was any basis in fact at all,  but were quite happy to sharpen the  pitchforks, light the torches and go marching off in self-righteous indignation to confront and abuse something that may never have happened, done or not done by someone with either malevolent or "comedic"  intentions.

As I said, I don't use social media, so I may well be unaware of some sort of in-built invisibility-ness of some things or other that only those with the sharpest pitchforks can see, but the level  of abuse hurled at Willian in here and elsewhere for something that I can't find, even using the best google tips my comedy-haired mate taught me, strikes me as being just a tad "end-of-seasony, we haven't won the league, who can we scapegoat" blamestorming.

BBC, Telegraph and others had news articles on it, so i'd assume at least one of them checked it was real.

Edited by Zeta

You'd like to think so, wouldn't you? Though it wouldn't be the first time that the BBC the telegraph or others made something up or lied about something to create a story or to stir some sh*t somewhere.

Genuinely,  I don't know,  but it doesn't appear  on any of his sh*t now,and the only copies appear to be screen saved  from the original  tweet.

I was just interested in how these judgements get made, really

Edited by yorkleyblue

1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

Yeah i saw it on his Instagram story. It's a bit like snapchat in the regard that you post the picture on there and it last 24 hours before it is deleted. People use it to keep others updated on their daily happenings. 

2 hours ago, yorkleyblue said:

I think you raise a fair and reasonable question, and I get your point that people should perhaps do their own research before jumping to conclusions. 

In this case however, it was on his official instragram account, and as others have already said, it was a story which means it disappears after a limited amount of time. It was seen by millions and Willian has made no denial. 

I must say however I strongly disagree with your final statement which I have highlighted. 

I can only speak for myself, but I was on cloud nine the day after winning the FA Cup. I still am in fact. A fairly painful season ended in beating Mourinho's United at Wembley- it doesn't really get much better than that. The sun was even shining all day. We won a trophy. We stopped United winning a trophy. We won more than Spurs even in a 'crisis' season. Believe me- I was over the moon and the last thing I was thinking about was scapegoating anyone for anything. 

I think it's the timing of the instagram post which actually annoyed me even more. After winning the FA Cup, it kind of felt like everyone had united for that one game, put their differences aside, and pulled together to deliver on the day. It felt like the unsavoury emotions of the season had been washed away with positive euphoria, and everyone could go off on their summer holidays feeling like we saved the season. I felt like it had demonstrated to the world that we were more focussed on winning the FA Cup than we were worries about infighting. I felt like it had silenced those who you know were waiting to write the 'club in crisis' headlines had it not gone to plan. They had nothing to talk about other than us winning the trophy. 

So that's why I thought it was disgusting that Willian thought he would take to social media the next day and remind everyone that all is not well, undermine the Manager, and embarrass the club and it's fans in doing so. 

Edited by mclovin83

I don’t mean to justify Willian’s childish act, but consider two things.

1). Him being very introverted, I think he has taken the passing of his mother as bad as I think possible for a human.  has made him into a very bitter person I think on the whole.  

2) Conte subbed Willian on in the 89th minute I believe, which I think Willian took as being a fu-k you gesture to him by Conte.

44 minutes ago, Phillip said:

1). Him being very introverted, I think he has taken the passing of his mother as bad as I think possible for a human.  has made him into a very bitter person I think on the whole.  

2) Conte subbed Willian on in the 89th minute I believe, which I think Willian took as being a fu-k you gesture to him by Conte.

I don't know anything about his private life but don't you think that it's a part of his job to accept that some games he will be taken away from the pitch or put on by the manager at times when he maybe doesn't like it?

His relationship with Conte was broken before the FA Cup final, Conte is from that Juventus school where managers don't give 1% sympathy to players that act like divas and fight against their decisions, that's how Lippi was as a manager and Conte/Zidane learned from him, Lippi didn't care to offload big stars as soon as they started with their ego tripping like Baggio, Vialli, Ravanelli and Conte is like that too he didn't show any desire to rebuild a relationship with Diego Costa and just kicked him out of the squad even when he was our top scorer, as soon as Willian started to act unhappy he got less playing time and there were some rumors that David Luiz actually isn't injured but that he also fought Conte and lost his place for a while long ago...

I just don't understand if Willian knows that Conte is probably leaving like the rest of us, why is he so willing to join United if he can assume that a new manager will be there soon? If the rumors are true that is...

7 hours ago, mclovin83 said:

I think you raise a fair and reasonable question, and I get your point that people should perhaps do their own research before jumping to conclusions. 

In this case however, it was on his official instragram account, and as others have already said, it was a story which means it disappears after a limited amount of time. It was seen by millions and Willian has made no denial. 

I must say however I strongly disagree with your final statement which I have highlighted. 

I can only speak for myself, but I was on cloud nine the day after winning the FA Cup. I still am in fact. A fairly painful season ended in beating Mourinho's United at Wembley- it doesn't really get much better than that. The sun was even shining all day. We won a trophy. We stopped United winning a trophy. We won more than Spurs even in a 'crisis' season. Believe me- I was over the moon and the last thing I was thinking about was scapegoating anyone for anything. 

I think it's the timing of the instagram post which actually annoyed me even more. After winning the FA Cup, it kind of felt like everyone had united for that one game, put their differences aside, and pulled together to deliver on the day. It felt like the unsavoury emotions of the season had been washed away with positive euphoria, and everyone could go off on their summer holidays feeling like we saved the season. I felt like it had demonstrated to the world that we were more focussed on winning the FA Cup than we were worries about infighting. I felt like it had silenced those who you know were waiting to write the 'club in crisis' headlines had it not gone to plan. They had nothing to talk about other than us winning the trophy. 

So that's why I thought it was disgusting that Willian thought he would take to social media the next day and remind everyone that all is not well, undermine the Manager, and embarrass the club and it's fans in doing so. 

You nailed it. The main reason why i reacted so angrily was because of the timing of it. It would have annoyed me at any time, but after the season we have just had and us finally having something to cheer about, the last thing i wanted to see was one of our players being a prick. 

We can't seem to enjoy any kind of success without a price it seems. There is always something or someone that will put a damper on things.

14 hours ago, mclovin83 said:

7 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

You nailed it. The main reason why i reacted so angrily was because of the timing of it. It would have annoyed me at any time, but after the season we have just had and us finally having something to cheer about, the last thing i wanted to see was one of our players being a prick. 

We can't seem to enjoy any kind of success without a price it seems. There is always something or someone that will put a damper on things.

This is fair enough from both of you.   I was just asking the question because I truly couldn't find the offending item on anything to do with Willian, and on the only link I could find, the majority of the comments were stating that it was faked, or some such.  I'm not sure of the point of some sort of social media thing where what you post disappears after a day,  but never mind.

9 hours ago, Phillip said:

I totally agree that Conte gave him a big f**k you by doing that. It’s one of the reasons I want Conte gone. He seems to fall out with players and it’s like that’s it you’re done. We could actually lose Hazard if we kept Conte.

However, I still believe that Willian behaved childish and petulant. I think as an adult he could have responded in a different manner while still venting his frustrations max

8 hours ago, bluedave said:

Managers make last minute subs all the time to waste a bit of time. Weird that it would suddenly be interpreted as a “f**k you” to anybody.

This. 

And, to date, I can't remember a player getting precious about it. 

On 22/05/2018 at 08:57, Barrettinator said:

Wouldn't be arsed even a little bit if he left. He's spent 5 years. Would be good if we could throw him + a few millions at United for Martial. Have United taste a bit of the old "Jose binning your promising young talent for old dross" medicine.

Indeed. Jose got rid of Salah and De Bruyne, and look how they turned out.

Hopefully Martial can repeat the story. Let’s not chuck money at United, if he really wants Willian then demand money and Martial in exchange. And then we’ll be laughing.

On 23/05/2018 at 16:15, yorkleyblue said:

It is real. I saw it with my eyes from his story on the Instagram

2015/16, the team has decided not to give a single f**k, and we're plummeting down the league like a Hull girl rushing to the chip shop after closing time. One player stands up and fights, game after f**king game, not giving up, not just copying everyone else and not giving a toss, but giving it 100% over and over.

That man was Willian, and he deserves more respect than he's getting in here recently.

1 hour ago, Kentonio said:

2015/16, the team has decided not to give a single f**k, and we're plummeting down the league like a Hull girl rushing to the chip shop after closing time. One player stands up and fights, game after f**king game, not giving up, not just copying everyone else and not giving a toss, but giving it 100% over and over.

That man was Willian, and he deserves more respect than he's getting in here recently.

Willian scored a fair few free kicks that make his stats look impressive and he was our best player for about a month but he wasn't carrying the team at that point. We were still 16th with his performances.

I like the saying that you must give respect to earn respect. Willian has been VERY disrespectful on a number on occasions and he is receiving a fair backlash for it. Needs to grow up and stop acting like a f**king baby.

1 minute ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Willian scored a fair few free kicks that make his stats look impressive and he was our best player for about a month but he wasn't carrying the team at that point. We were still 16th with his performances.

I like the saying that you must give respect to earn respect. Willian has been VERY disrespectful on a number on occasions and he is receiving a fair backlash for it. Needs to grow up and stop acting like a f**king baby.

He didn't just score a few free kicks, and his stats are irrelevant (whatever they are). He put his heart and soul into those games, and was the only one out there really fighting. He deserves a lot of respect for that season, even if he is out of order now.