Jump to content

Mike 93

Willian

Recommended Posts

They're all quotes from straight after the 1 - nil loss to City last season, one of out worst performances EVER. Of course there was going to be knee jerk reactions, but over the summer once Sarri was announced the majority changed their tune. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, come on, I can find loads of other similar quotes on the Pedro threads if I could be at all arsed.  Some say "changed their tune", some say "fickle, scapegoaters  who take against a player until  another scapegoat comes  along or the herd turn on someone else".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, yorkleyblue said:

 

 

 

But only a few weeks ago, the general consensus of opinion in here was that Pedro was now getting too old,  his legs had gone, he wasn't consistent enough, he was a bit bandy, CHO HAD to replace both him and Willian, and, well, basically, they were both just a bit sh*t.

Now, a couple of goals, a decent performance or two and Pedro es  el hombre.

Nothing like a good bit of consistency amongst the fanbase, is there?  NO,  Dave, there isn't!

 

Oh, and for  full disclosure, I have always thought that both Willian and Pedro were good, needed to rotate between them, and that most of us in here are and were overly critical of both.  But then, everything is either black or white, ain't it?  Players are either Messi-level all the time or they are cack and need selling, now.

Personally after the season pedro just had, I would've been happy to see him or willian leave to bring in some fresh ideas in attack. I have never said either were poor players, I just felt one or the other would have to move on for us to bring in another player.

I would still like to see another attacker or two come in. 

As things stand, we didn't bring anyone in, and pedro has started the season very well, so he is the best option we have. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, yorkleyblue said:

Might not have been you,mate, but loads and loads WERE offensively abusive about Pedro, including some who are now singing his praises.  Funny old game,  ain't it?

Yeah mate, I think a few the posters that regularly abused our own players and manager on here last season, seem to have been whittled out over the summer. 

Generally quite pleasant on here at the moment. 

I'm sure we will get a few more nutters show up when we lose a couple. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

 

 

 

But only a few weeks ago, the general consensus of opinion in here was that Pedro was now getting too old,  his legs had gone, he wasn't consistent enough, he was a bit bandy, CHO HAD to replace both him and Willian, and, well, basically, they were both just a bit sh*t.

Now, a couple of goals, a decent performance or two and Pedro es  el hombre.

Nothing like a good bit of consistency amongst the fanbase, is there?  NO,  Dave, there isn't!

 

Oh, and for  full disclosure, I have always thought that both Willian and Pedro were good, needed to rotate between them, and that most of us in here are and were overly critical of both.  But then, everything is either black or white, ain't it?  Players are either Messi-level all the time or they are cack and need selling, now.

Well I don't know about anybody else, but I wanted an upgrade on both of them, but that didn't happen so now we need to think about who would improve the squad the most, and in the current formation and with the style of football, Pedro is clearly the better choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

Oh, come on, I can find loads of other similar quotes on the Pedro threads if I could be at all arsed.  Some say "changed their tune", some say "fickle, scapegoaters  who take against a player until  another scapegoat comes  along or the herd turn on someone else".

Had Conte stayed i would have still been saying Pedro should have gone. In that ultra-defensive game plan he was ineffective. 

Under Sarri, clearly it suits him more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I thought the general consensus was once Sarri came in most agreed that Pedro would do well because of his Barcelona upbringing. 

There were the occasional Willian sympathists that argued he should start for whatever reason, but most in favour of Pedro between the two.

Don't know if it was this thread, the CHO thread, Transfers thread or Pedro thread but most said for Willian to leave with Pedro staying and CHO filling the gap or a new signing. 

 

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

They're all quotes from straight after the 1 - nil loss to City last season, one of out worst performances EVER. Of course there was going to be knee jerk reactions, but over the summer once Sarri was announced the majority changed their tune. 

 

24 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Had Conte stayed i would have still been saying Pedro should have gone. In that ultra-defensive game plan he was ineffective. 

Under Sarri, clearly it suits him more.

Not moved the goal posts at all, been fairly consistent with what i've said. 

Under Conte, Pedro was poor. Now we're attacking, he's quite good. 

Don't really see an issue tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you say so.  I didn't see any such qualification on the very many critical posts about Pedro from you and many others previously.  Nothing about "under  Conte" in the two or three posts from you I quoted recently,  nor in any of the others I quoted, and that was just a single page from the Pedro  thread.  And it was not confined to just the few days after the City loss, either.

Just have a look in the mirror and accept you have flip-flopped away from abuse of the player because we were having a bad season and someone has to be blamed, to praising the player because he's had a couple of good matches and we are playing well, top of the league and having a laugh and all that.  (I'm attributing a possible rationale to your change of stance, but that's only because I don't really understand how people can be so fickle so would like to think there was an actual reason)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dustbin719 said:

An interesting tactical breakdown comparing Willian vs Pedro.

Seems like Sarri-ball is playing straight to Pedro's strengths, hence the markedly improved performances

 

The guy who produces those video's does an excellent job. Really spot on analysis, better than you get on sky by a long shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dustbin719 said:

An interesting tactical breakdown comparing Willian vs Pedro.

Seems like Sarri-ball is playing straight to Pedro's strengths, hence the markedly improved performances

 

Pedro is playing in a role very  familiar to him from his Barcelona days. He was such a valuable super-sub to them because of his tactical intelligence and work off the ball. 

While he is suited to the system, it is daft to plan a system around a 32 year old. Willian can play the same role, but he needs instruction to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

Pedro is playing in a role very  familiar to him from his Barcelona days. He was such a valuable super-sub to them because of his tactical intelligence and work off the ball. 

While he is suited to the system, it is daft to plan a system around a 32 year old. Willian can play the same role, but he needs instruction to do so.

We aren't building a system around a 32 year old though, it's just he fits perfectly into the system. 

Willian will always be a player whose natural instinct is to come short, and Pedro will always be a player who naturally makes runs into space. 

Both players have something to offer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, big blue said:

We aren't building a system around a 32 year old though, it's just he fits perfectly into the system. 

Willian will always be a player whose natural instinct is to come short, and Pedro will always be a player who naturally makes runs into space. 

Both players have something to offer. 

Agreed, but the key points here are the ages of these players.  Regardless of who fits the system better or who has something to offer, we need reinforcements on the RW in order to sustain success in the coming years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pedro is more of a wide forward.  Willian is more of a wide midfielder.  Willian is an ideal replacement (in the Sarri system) as a backup to Hazard or in spot starts on the right flank.  Pedro is the ideal wide forward and starter that makes runs into space.  His logical backup is not really on the team yet, but from what I have seen from CHO (preseason) he can make those runs into space. Only question would be is he capable of playing on the right hand side.  

We will need to revisit this position in the future if Sarri sticks with this style of play as only really Pedro fits the mould of that type.  Willian can do it, he just prefers not to.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For my part, I can still say that after how Willian was immature before Conte left I still see him as not-the-ideal player, I think it was a mistake not to sell him for £50-60m this summer. 

For the same reason (dislike of the personality) I wanted Courtois to be sold.

Pedro was saying good things about Sarri as soon as he joined, he knows this style and formation (like already pointed out) and should be starting games, but even when he wasn't starting he never complained, he's older now and that is the only issue but maybe this can be one of his best seasons since he joined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pedro has always been a more natural goalscorer than Willian, and has always been a player who is prone to fits of top-notch goalscoring form (not entirely unlike Willian come to think of it - remember last spring?)

I say make the most of it while he's still hot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PloKoon13 said:

not entirely unlike Willian come to think of it - remember last spring?

No, I didn't remember it, so I looked it up...

1 goal and 2 assists from March through May in 14 appearances including 8 starts.

He had a good run in February in a mixture of competitions, that may have been what you were referencing. Unfortunately, that was the only spell of form he had all season.

2 Against Hull City FA Cup
1 Against Barcelona UCL
1 Against ManU EPL

How I wish Chelsea was able to get £50+ for him in the summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/09/2018 at 10:07, SydneyChelsea said:

Pedro is playing in a role very  familiar to him from his Barcelona days. He was such a valuable super-sub to them because of his tactical intelligence and work off the ball. 

While he is suited to the system, it is daft to plan a system around a 32 year old. Willian can play the same role, but he needs instruction to do so.

He just turned 31 and we are already calling him 32. Oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CFCBlue12 said:

He just turned 31 and we are already calling him 32. Oh well.

Not to mention they are literally one year apart in age. Pedro is over the hill, better get in Willian? They're both over 30. Need a better argument than that.

I've said before, probably on this thread somewhere. I think they are BOTH more effective when sharing the position. I don't particularly care who starts, depending on form, but when they were in together, for one reason or another, they both were ineffective. When we use them interchangeably it creates a good potency off the bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎16‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 00:16, ForeverCarefree said:

Always looks better coming on as a sub. Can have an impact in the final 30 minutes of a game. 

You rarely see him scoring and winning a penalty in the same game if he starts.

Cracking goal today though, quality finish.

Agree with that though with one caveat, every year he seems to have about 4 or 5 matches where he is superb. It doesn't last though and then he reverts to his former self.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...