Mike 93

Willian

1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

Just looking at the picture sequence above, it looks like Alonso was covering Christensen who was out of position, and then was trying to  get back to prevent what actually happened.  I'd have to  see the video to be any more certain of anything than that, but then I don't have an agenda against any of our players, so maybe an unbiased opinion isn't what is required.

Christensen was the one out of position originally and wasn't in sync with the back 4, all it takes is one well-weighted pass and that's it. 

I don't understand how Alonso is the scapegoat in that goal, I don't think people analyse the goals we concede properly, they just look and see "Oh came from Alonso's side? Yeah his fault" 

30 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Christensen was the one out of position originally and wasn't in sync with the back 4, all it takes is one well-weighted pass and that's it. 

I don't understand how Alonso is the scapegoat in that goal, I don't think people analyse the goals we concede properly, they just look and see "Oh came from Alonso's side? Yeah his fault" 

Look at the second picture that bloke uploaded on the second goal, Alonso is massively out of position. Where exactly do you expect Christensen to be there? Its Alonso unnecessarily playing as a second CB. 

Don't get why certain people find it so difficult to admit Alonso/Willian have made a mistake. 

2 hours ago, Slojo said:

My first thought when seeing it in real time after thinking Willy needs to play to the whistle was Alonso was way to narrow.

When you break it down you can see there are lots of other factors involved. 

9 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

My first thought when seeing it in real time after thinking Willy needs to play to the whistle was Alonso was way to narrow.

When you break it down you can see there are lots of other factors involved. 

I don't think it's possible to lay the entire blame on any defender certainly not alonso as its a quick transition from attack to defence due to willian losing it. As you say, it's a combination of factors that led to the goal. 

2 hours ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Look at the second picture that bloke uploaded on the second goal, Alonso is massively out of position. Where exactly do you expect Christensen to be there? Its Alonso unnecessarily playing as a second CB. 

Don't get why certain people find it so difficult to admit Alonso/Willian have made a mistake. 

It's really quite simple... Alonso had to step in as CB or a goal would have been conceded on 1 pass not 2.  Alonso had to step to Christensen's spot because he wasn't there.

22 hours ago, Wearyourblue said:

We'll agree to disagree there I guess,  Jorginho almost always works under the ball unless a defender has it, and if he doesn't then Kovacic does.  I get others disagree, but I don't think we give up either goal with Kovacic on the field.  

We'll see what continues but no coincidence in my mind that the games following RLC has been a wing sub, and hazard has been a false 9.

I think we grade players too often on one moment, some over grade Willian on his steal/ assist to Hazard and some under grade him on his ball loss against the Wolves.  

I felt like watching the Wolves game, was watching the end of the Morata era at Chelsea, he was so poor that game, and looked broken.  And while I thought RLC struggled in the midfield, that game made it clear you'd rather have RLC on the field than Morata.

Another game since the Wolves game where Sarri has moved RLC forward a line.  RLC showed in Wolves doesn't cover all responsibility needed in midfield... but too valuable attacking not to play.

37 minutes ago, Wearyourblue said:

It's really quite simple... Alonso had to step in as CB or a goal would have been conceded on 1 pass not 2.  Alonso had to step to Christensen's spot because he wasn't there.

Christensen is literally 2 yards from him... You're right, it is quite simple. Just a shame you don't understand it. 

33 minutes ago, Wearyourblue said:

Another game since the Wolves game where Sarri has moved RLC forward a line.  RLC showed in Wolves doesn't cover all responsibility needed in midfield... but too valuable attacking not to play.

More like Sarri wants to rest as many wingers as possible so he can go false 9 again at the weekend and RLC is the only one that fits the bill. 

Reckon, or at least hope, that Sarri has realized what he has in Willian; an ineffective and underperforming (to our standards) winger. When a player is taken off before 60 minutes is passed, it is either because he's a) injured, b) rested or c) underperforming. Willian was supposed to be our Hazard today, playing in his preferred role from the left hand side, but nothing really comes off. He did his best Hazard impression when pressing and defending, though, which the best players can get away with ... ...

Can Hudson-Odoi really produce less than what Willian does? Salomon Kalou produced more than the Brazilian, and I must say I have higher hopes for Hudson-Odoi.

Edited by opinionsarelike

He made a few good runs off the ball in behind in the first half. One ball found him but the keeper was out quick. The rest either didn’t have enough legs, were miles away from where they should have been or just never came. You could see him getting more and more frustrated as the game went on, eventually he dropped deeper to find the ball which isn’t his strong suit. 

17 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Willian is not good enough anymore. Plain and simple.

Not sure I can agree but I definitely see where you're coming from, he needs to be dropped it's that simple, I have no idea how he's playing games with the form he's in, nevermind starting them. 

On 21/12/2018 at 19:31, Strider6003 said:

Hold on to your horses, two consecutive wins since the three amigos played upfront together, Willian, Hazard & Pedro.

I would rather wait until the wheels start to come off before deciding he doesn't start.

This post didn't age well

3 minutes ago, BenCFC19 said:

This post didn't age well

Not today for sure though we had more shots on goal yet they didn't take the chances.

We need a better bench and fortunately the January transfer window approaches.

I think Willian has been a great player over the years for Chelsea.

No doubt in the last few games he has been far from his best. I'm not sure if he is declining through age or if he is just a bit tired.

He has started the last 4 games (one of which was a dead rubber) so perhaps Sarri needs to rotate him more to see him back to his best.

12 minutes ago, Nickcook26 said:

No doubt in the last few games he has been far from his best. I'm not sure if he is declining through age 

Willian's career league output at Chelsea is an average of 5 goals and 4 assists per season. Honestly, I'm not sure what people are expecting. 

As has been pointed out, Some people appreciate what he does, some people don't. 

But one thing is, you shouldn't be surprised at his goal/assist totals and overall contribution to the attack... he's right on his career average. 

2 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

Willian's career league output at Chelsea is an average of 5 goals and 4 assists per season. Honestly, I'm not sure what people are expecting. 

As has been pointed out, Some people appreciate what he does, some people don't. 

But one thing is, you shouldn't be surprised at his goal/assist totals and overall contribution to the attack... he's right on his career average. 

Yep, he's great in a more defensive, counter-attacking team, where he can carry the ball up the pitch on the counter but in a more expansive team looking to win titles he should be a squad player, in my opinion.  

Most of his seasons at Chelsea have been average. He has never took a game by the scruff of the neck, and he certainly isn't a consistent game changer. The only season that stands out is one where he scored a handful of free kicks to win a couple games. Apart from that he is a player who will be forgotten quite quickly tbh. Pedro is not miles better, but at least he can play in the system and is left footed so can play on RW or LW. I don't see what Willian brings to us, I really don't. 

If we don't sign a winger in January, we are in serious trouble. He offers hardly anything to this team anymore. As many have said before me, Hudson-Odoi should be starting in Willian's position if we are playing with a false 9. With a striker starting, Hudson-Odoi should be first off the bench as a change for any of the front 3. 

1 hour ago, Gol15 said:

I never needed to change my opinion, we should have sold him in the summer when someone was crazy enough to offer 40m for him.

It was 60 mate........everytime I see him play im reminded our board said no thanks to that. Watch the board hand him 2 year extension.

3 minutes ago, atomis said:

It was 60 mate........everytime I see him play im reminded our board said no thanks to that. Watch the board hand him 2 year extension.

Yea you're right the club refused that big offer and wanted even more...

Just now, Gol15 said:

Yea you're right the club refused that big offer and wanted even more...

And that why I dont rate our board/MArina when it comes to players. I dont care if its the Hulk doing our dealings, as long as they are doing the bits for the Club with a vission and planning. Could have sold Willy, bought Fekir and put 5M in the pocket.....plus plus all around. 60M was simply too good an offer to let go.