Mike 93

Willian

He is going to be 31 at the beginning of the season, no one is paying for a 32yr old Willian. It’s just bad business IMO, same with renewing Giroud’s contract. And we wonder why we are regressing compared to other teams.

25 minutes ago, ducavis said:

He is going to be 31 at the beginning of the season, no one is paying for a 32yr old Willian. It’s just bad business IMO, same with renewing Giroud’s contract. And we wonder why we are regressing compared to other teams.

I'm almost positive Giroud's is just for this year. It was known 2 months ago that we were picking up his option. I think he got a bump in pay to sign a "new" one year deal, but I'm pretty sure he's still out of contract next summer. 

Willian? Hopefully it's technically a one year extension getting him to end of 2021. Two year extension on top of this year? Ugh... 

Just to have to watch him prance around, waving his arms, taking a corner that doesn’t get past the first defender, and just an all round average but mostly crap player really pisses me off. 

38 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

A stellar season for Willian is scoring more than 5 goals... Let's face it, it's a pretty low bar he's set himself. 

more?

Hell, 5 goals against the likes of  Newcastle (2), Southampton, Bournemouth, and Crystal Palace won him Player of the Season in 15/16

https://mavenfc.io/chelsea/news/willian-vs-willian-the-myth-of-2015-16-dKrx8zSLKE-OHl5pPS9umg/

1 minute ago, Skinnedy said:

more?

Hell, 5 goals against the likes of  Newcastle (2), Southampton, Bournemouth, and Crystal Palace won him Player of the Season in 15/16

https://mavenfc.io/chelsea/news/willian-vs-willian-the-myth-of-2015-16-dKrx8zSLKE-OHl5pPS9umg/

I reckon we'll keep Willian until he's 40!!! just because the Willian song is the one that is probably sung the loudest when our fans can be bothered to sing.

On 08/06/2019 at 10:38, IliyaKrostin said:

So, now when Hazard left us. It makes Willian our highest goalscoring player, 52 goals in all competitions, Pedro with 41 after him.

They're the only two in the squad who have more than 18 ... so definitely a time for new heroes to step up !

This is really grinding my gears. What the actual f**k is wrong with us? We have no problem selling off class youth talent like Aina yet we keep a good for nothing has been in Willian and offer him contracts after how abysmal he has been for the better part of 3 years now

6 minutes ago, ENygma said:

This is really grinding my gears. What the actual f**k is wrong with us? We have no problem selling off class youth talent like Aina yet we keep a good for nothing has been in Willian and offer him contracts after how abysmal he has been for the better part of 3 years now

Is there anything less trustworthy than "Sky Sources"?

Really?   Both Barca and Athletico bid the exact same amount?  For a winger that doesn't score goals?  What a coincidence.  

No reason for anyone to get upset over us allegedly rejecting alleged bids.

Not being deliberately awkward by asking this, but if we do sell him, what's the solution given the transfer ban? It'd be Pedro and Pulisic on the wings until CHO is back again, which doesn't seem ideal given Pulisic is still a young player himself, plus he's new to the team and league. Also, it leaves no cover for injuries. 

20 minutes ago, Boston Blue said:

Really?   Both Barca and Athletico bid the exact same amount?  For a winger that doesn't score goals?  What a coincidence.  

Yeah... I'm not buying it either. He has a very active agent.... Willian wants 2 year extension, and viola, bids incoming for Willian... sure... sure they are...

still though...

6 minutes ago, Remy10 said:

Not being deliberately awkward by asking this, but if we do sell him, what's the solution given the transfer ban? It'd be Pedro and Pulisic on the wings until CHO is back again, which doesn't seem ideal given Pulisic is still a young player himself, plus he's new to the team and league. Also, it leaves no cover for injuries. 

Pretty much this. We have no choice but to keep him around.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Remy10 said:

Not being deliberately awkward by asking this, but if we do sell him, what's the solution given the transfer ban?

I get that... first... I don't believe anyone is bidding 35M for him. I think his agent is talking him up...

2nd.. 3 goals.... 3 goals last year... I mean at that point who COULDN'T replace him?

I'd rather bring back Moses and his work rate than have Willian at this point.

He's a 4.5 goals per season player in the League. Alonso could replace him on the Wing. Emerson could provide cover on the wing. Musonda and Kenedy could probably get 4 goals in a season. Gary Cahill has a 6 goal season in him for God's sake, a number Willian has only bested once... for Conte.

It's not just that pretty much anyone could replace his production, because they could... but removing him from the team removes a manager complaining, hands throwing in the air, youth blocking, set piece wasting malcontent, Call it addition by subtraction. We're better with him out of the team.

Edited by Skinnedy

12 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

Yeah... I'm not buying it either. He has a very active agent.... Willian wants 2 year extension, and viola, bids incoming for Willian... sure... sure they are...

still though...

His agent might have a bit more credibility if he whispered links to more believable teams.

Like Cardiff City.

38 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

I get that... first... I don't believe anyone is bidding 35M for him. I think his agent is talking him up...

2nd.. 3 goals.... 3 goals last year... I mean at that point who COULDN'T replace him?

He's a 4.5 goals per season player in the League. Alonso could replace him on the Wing. Emerson could provide cover on the wing. Musonda and Kenedy could probably get 4 goals in a season. Gary Cahill has a 6 goal season in him for God's sake, a number Willian has only bested once... for Conte.

It's not just that pretty much anyone could replace his production, because they could... but removing him from the team removes a manager complaining, hands throwing in the air, youth blocking, set piece wasting malcontent, Call it addition by subtraction. We're better with him out of the team.

For me £35 million would be a snatch their hand off offer.

Yep the looming ban is a big issue but Willian as has rightly been pointed out just does not deliver enough. He isn’t going to get better. 

We have Pedro, Pulisic and when fit CHO we need two others and I quite like your idea of potentially Alonso being pushed further forward and with maybe Musonda and even possibly Piazon as plan c and d. Musonda had a bad injury but his talent is without question 

3 minutes ago, ForeverCarefree said:

I’d bite your hand off for £35m and take my chances with Victor Moses as cover.

That would be really daft. Whoever is our next manager will definitely prefer to keep the player rather than have £35 million they can't spend anyway. And Victor Moses? If this was somebody else posting I'd assume it was a troll post, but I know you've been dead against Willian since before he even kicked a ball for us.

Anyway that irrelevant, this came from Sky Sports so you can guarantee it's bolIocks.

4 minutes ago, bluedave said:

That would be really daft. Whoever is our next manager will definitely prefer to keep the player rather than have £35 million they can't spend anyway. 

Willian is on the decline, he’s just had maybe his worst season for Chelsea. Realistically do we expect much more from him than we saw this year now he’s the wrong side of 30?

So if we’ve an opportunity to make a not insignificant amount of money on him this summer? Yeah I’d do it.

Can’t spend it now true but same was true with Hazard. But it’s money in the bank to help us come January or next summer when quality reinforcements are going to be needed.

2 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

Boom. Love this. The Gospel. Thanks Skinnedy for putting all my thoughts into one succinct post.

The transfer ban plays into Willian's hands more than anyone else.  I've not seen someone steal a living as much as he has since Harold Shipman qualified as a faith healer via some webitse called GrigoriRaRaRasputin.com