Willian

Mike 93

10 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I think Willian has kids and so would prefer to stay with us, so think that will depend on the club.

Caught Dave Basset on the stream I was watching and he said he never understood Pedro playing in front of Willian in previous seasons as Willian was a much better creator on the pitch. I'm not saying he is right by any means just interesting to hear another professional opinion.

Pedro 100%, deserved to start Infront in the title season and last season.

This season it's a no contest though, obviously.

8 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Who the hell regards Duff and Cole legends? Both better players than Willian and all 3 are not legends.

Cole won 3 Premier Leagues and 2 FA Cups. He'd have to come close, that goal at United to win us the title under Carlo was a pretty enormous contribution by itself. 

I think Willian has been a great servant. Perhaps a step below Cole but certainly on par with Duff for me.

6 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Cole won 3 Premier Leagues and 2 FA Cups. He'd have to come close, that goal at United to win us the title under Carlo was a pretty enormous contribution by itself. 

I think Willian has been a great servant. Perhaps a step below Cole but certainly on par with Duff for me.

Maybe J Cole and he was better than Willian. I just dont think the words legend or world class should be thrown about to easy. Theres a reason they sit in there own group, they consistently was top class for season after season. Not bit parts of seasons.

Even Duff for that one season under Mourinho played at a level Willian has never reached IMO.

4 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Maybe J Cole and he was better than Willian. I just dont think the words legend or world class should be thrown about to easy. Theres a reason they sit in there own group, they consistently was top class for season after season. Not bit parts of seasons.

Even Duff for that one season under Mourinho played at a level Willian has never reached IMO.

Apart from the last season under Jose. Duff in that one season was great. He did have some better players around him though...

Agree on the legend thing though. Not to be thrown around lightly. A harsh critic would rule out Joey based on him parroting lines about Anfield on European nights when he joined them

Edited by Spiller86

13 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Played well again today. Looks better on the left hand side where he can cut inside and curl them.

At the moment he is still our most creative outlet. I've been critical of his attitude at times, but without reinforcements we actually need him in the squad.

Reece James dislikes this post.

13 hours ago, Droopy said:

Why not? Some people consider Duff and Joe Cole legends and their contribution is far behind Willian's + the years of loyal service... 

I suppose it's subjective then, my legend category isn't as big as some others is. Just in the last 10 years I would say the likes of Lampard, Terry, Cole, Hazard, Drogba and Cech are legends, I don't think Willian is on their level, but that's just me. 

Willian 319 appearances and 57 goals vs Joe Cole 281 appearances and 40 goals.

Both on the next rung down from "legend" for me.

Even someone like Kalou has 60 goals in 254 games, pretty much playing in the same position as a wide forward. Not sure too many would have Kalou in the legend category !

Legends used too loosely. 

I guess the other one you hear now is icon. 

They were Chelsea 'heros', 'stars' if you want to call it that but legends are reserved for the very best who did it at the highest level over a long period imo.

Cech

Terry 

Lampard 

Drogba 

A. Cole

Zola

Hazard 

From the past, I'll leave the seniors to mention. 

4 minutes ago, Argo said:

Just checked Damien Duff's goal stats for us and he scored 19 goals in 125 games.

Back then he was appreciated for what he brought to the table whereas stats like that in today's game would have the goals only count brigade slaughtering him for "not being ruthless enough".

I liked Duff - just curious, how would Jesper Grønkjær would have been received now? only 7 goals in 88 matches - he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I found him to be a very effective wing player for Chelsea - hard worker too

2 minutes ago, robdog said:

I liked Duff - just curious, how would Jesper Grønkjær would have been received now? only 7 goals in 88 matches - he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but I found him to be a very effective wing player for Chelsea - hard worker too

Well now the away fans are in the Shed there would be a decent chance of Gronkjaer's crosses hitting one of them in the face.

2 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Willian isn't a club legend, he divides opinion too much. You don't get that status just by making a ton of appearances for the club. I see Willian as more of a cult figure than a club legend.

The urban legend is that he got a free plane ticket from Spuds on the way here so that makes him like a cult figure like you say, but he did score some important goals for the club as well, for me after scoring against Spurs he's good enough.

If you consider Gudjohnsen, Desailly or Mata a legend then Willian is close enough, but if you see him as a cult figure then he's more like Makelele then I suppose, not sure which other players fit in that cult of personality category but I think if you consider David Luiz a legend then Willian shouldn't be overlooked, part from the one time he was unhappy when Conte was the manager he has been a loyal player.

Edited by Gol15

Gronkjaer and effective wing play. 😂😂

He was quick and had a decent shot. That's about it. One of the most frustrating players to ever play for the club.

Duff had a couple of good seasons and then was mediocre / injury prone.

Hazard 

Mata

Duff,, Robben, J. Cole, Malouda 

Willian 

Petrescu

Kalou, Pedro

-----

------

------

Gronkjaer

14 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Willian 319 appearances and 57 goals vs Joe Cole 281 appearances and 40 goals.

Both on the next rung down from "legend" for me.

Even someone like Kalou has 60 goals in 254 games, pretty much playing in the same position as a wide forward. Not sure too many would have Kalou in the legend category !

It's not always about goals though, You can play well without scoring a goal.

3 hours ago, Gol15 said:

The urban legend is that he got a free plane ticket from Spuds on the way here so that makes him like a cult figure like you say, but he did score some important goals for the club as well, for me after scoring against Spurs he's good enough.

If you consider Gudjohnsen, Desailly or Mata a legend then Willian is close enough, but if you see him as a cult figure then he's more like Makelele then I suppose, not sure which other players fit in that cult of personality category but I think if you consider David Luiz a legend then Willian shouldn't be overlooked, part from the one time he was unhappy when Conte was the manager he has been a loyal player.

Makelele shouldn’t ever be in the same sentence with Willian.