Mike 93

Willian

4 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

Doubling down on Willian turning down a 2-year extension from Chelsea. 

Unbelievable. We didn't even break our 1 year extension for over 30's policy for club legends like Terry, but we are happy to do it for Willian? I don't know what Willian has done to be thought of so highly by the club. 

Personally, I think Willian knows he would never get a 3 year extension with us, he just doesn't want to come out and say he wants to leave. He wants out, and he's going to use the excuse that it was because the club couldn't agree with his contract demands. Even if he was offered a 3 year extension, I expect his demands would have changed to 4 years. 

25 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Unbelievable. We didn't even break our 1 year extension for over 30's policy for club legends like Terry, but we are happy to do it for Willian?

Perhaps the club have finally realised just how f**king stupid it was to have a blanket 1 year policy for over-30's, regardless of the individual player's ability and usefulness to the squad.

Letting good, experienced players leave for nothing will make us better next year for sure!

The blanket 1-year policy is stupid but I do think Willian's being a bit optimistic asking for three years. Can't blame him though, he must be well settled in London by now.

I feel he definitely wants to stay in London,but we can't be held over a barrel by him,even if going to a rival makes them better,he has been a good player for us but 2 years we are offering you would have thought would have been enough for now.

5 hours ago, bluedave said:

Letting good, experienced players leave for nothing will make us better next year for sure!

The blanket 1-year policy is stupid but I do think Willian's being a bit optimistic asking for three years. Can't blame him though, he must be well settled in London by now.

No one is saying to let good, experienced players leave for nothing (Not sure anyone has said they want Dave to go let alone for free). We are saying to let past it players leave for free.

6 minutes ago, PloKoon13 said:

I'm not sure how Willian is past it exactly, he's fundamentally and physically the same player he was five years ago. 

Other than a lot more posters have demonised him into the Mikel de nos jours.

I'm happy for him to leave, but only because i think he wants to, not because he's not quality, he'll be 32 by the time next season starts, let him go free, we have CHO Pulisic and the new player whos name has not registered on my brain yet..

Probably the time for him to go.Both him and Pedro.Ziyech is already signed,we need one more in the summer and were all set.Personally I've been dissapointed with most of the senior players this year.Was expecting players like Willian,Azpi,Jorginho to step up more.Willian did play good for a few games this season ,but he does this every year.He's up and down most of the time,all over the place.If he would accept one year contract then I would have him next year,but the thought of having him here for 3 more years with his inconsistent performances doesn't sit well with me.And as he's getting older those performances will only get even more inconsistent.

I hope this doesn't mean he gets pushed to the reserves, I hope he plays to his best so he can find himself a good club to play for next season. We need him right now, desperately, we can't keep playing with Barkley and Mount on the wings for f**k sake. 

11 hours ago, Slojo said:

I hope this doesn't mean he gets pushed to the reserves, I hope he plays to his best so he can find himself a good club to play for next season. We need him right now, desperately, we can't keep playing with Barkley and Mount on the wings for f**k sake. 

Willian was playing as a winger when we were playing 4 at the back.

Barkley has been brought in as an AM playing with three CBs.

That's how it seems to me.

Did you see Tammy shouting at Willian after that cross vs Bayern, Tammy was expecting Willian to get it at the far post intead Willian was rooted way out on the right.

On 27/02/2020 at 13:12, PloKoon13 said:

I'm not sure how Willian is past it exactly, he's fundamentally and physically the same player he was five years ago. 

His end product was past it 15 years ago to be fair... 

joking aside, I’d be happy for him to stay as a squad player but not if it made us break our policy on over 30’s players by an extra couple of years. As others have said, we didn’t do that for JT, Lampard etc. We shouldn’t be doing it for Willian. He’s been a good servant but it’s a bit cheeky to turn down a 2 year deal which is already going against the clubs policy.

5 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

He’s been a good servant but it’s a bit cheeky to turn down a 2 year deal which is already going against the clubs policy.

I think Chelsea should get rid of that policy, it's what led to Lampard and Drogba leaving early amongst others. Look at City with David Silva (34) and Aguero (31). You are by no means past it be the time you reach 30. The two best players in the world are in their mid 30s!

I don't think Willian should be offered a 3 year deal, but think we would benefit from having here for another 2 years as a squad player. Better that than letting him strengthen Spurs.

20 minutes ago, Shweaves said:

I think Chelsea should get rid of that policy, it's what led to Lampard and Drogba leaving early amongst others. Look at City with David Silva (34) and Aguero (31). You are by no means past it be the time you reach 30. The two best players in the world are in their mid 30s!

I don't think Willian should be offered a 3 year deal, but think we would benefit from having here for another 2 years as a squad player. Better that than letting him strengthen Spurs.

We offered him two years,  not much we can do when Willian is wanting three years. I imagine he'll reunite with Mourinho at Spurs.

1 hour ago, Shweaves said:

Better that than letting him strengthen Spurs.

If he's taking minutes away from Son, Moura, Bergwijn... I'll consider that a win for Chelsea.

Ironic that Spurs fans are ready for a straight swap Willian for Moura right now it seems. 

Going to Spurs seems risky for Willian, how long do we actually think Mourinho lasts there? And if Mourinho is gone, will Willian really want to be at Spurs?

I Personally think this standoff between Willian & Chelsea with the 2/3 year negotiation is a way of Willian to make a move to Arsenal on a free to link up with Luiz, they are good friends and business partners. It is widely established that AFC is a very laid back environment in comparison to Chelsea and Willian will probably get the 3 years he is after in addition to a signing bonus and a salary upgrade. This would also keep him on good terms with the Chelsea fan-base as he will place the blame on the board not bowing down to his request and he keeps his family in London, there is no downside for Willian in this scenario.

Also Luiz would have found a way to get back at Lampard and Chelsea by convincing him to change allegiances.

I've always liked Willian, still do, but giving him more than a year is stupid. I'm surprised the club even offered him two. He was quality yesterday, and we need more of those performances from him, I'm sure we'll get them. 

1 hour ago, Slojo said:

I've always liked Willian, still do, but giving him more than a year is stupid. I'm surprised the club even offered him two. He was quality yesterday, and we need more of those performances from him, I'm sure we'll get them. 

As I was watching Willian, Pedro, and Giroud put on a Masterclass in the first half on Saturday, I was thinking "Ya know, there's something to this playing for a contract thing"

57 minutes ago, Skinnedy said:

As I was watching Willian, Pedro, and Giroud put on a Masterclass in the first half on Saturday, I was thinking "Ya know, there's something to this playing for a contract thing"

Willian for me is having one of his best seasons, and I believe it's because he's playing for a contract, now it's probably a case of playing well to stay at top level and get a good club, either way it works for us we just need his best. When Willian is fighting for his place, he's always been at his best. 

Willian started the season of well but has been playing poorly for a while, having purple patches is a normal Willian season. I'm not even sure he is playing for his contract, I agree with others that he is asking for 3 years knowing full well Chelsea won't offer it to him, it will look like the boards fault not offering him what he wanted but I think they will be crazy to offer a 32 yr old in August Willian a 3 year contract. The 2 year contract is like the Luiz deal, the club can still get some money for him in a year if they want.

30 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

Willian started the season of well but has been playing poorly for a while, having purple patches is a normal Willian season. I'm not even sure he is playing for his contract, I agree with others that he is asking for 3 years knowing full well Chelsea won't offer it to him, it will look like the boards fault not offering him what he wanted but I think they will be crazy to offer a 32 yr old in August Willian a 3 year contract. The 2 year contract is like the Luiz deal, the club can still get some money for him in a year if they want.

I guess playing for the shop window, I agree  3 years is too much too.