but none can deny that he had been absolutely underwhelming for most of the season

I deny it.

I don't think he's unimprovable- I think his and cahill's places in our first 11 are where we could realistically improve, but I think he's been a very important player for us this season.

I think jose would deny it too- which is why he's picked him all season despite other options.

You guys say Willian is integral to our success this season? Well I dunno. I think Cesc, Costa and Hazard are much more integral. The thing is WIllian always gets away from criticism every time even when he plays horsecrap is just because of his workrate and that has been the case for almost whole season. Schurrle didn't got enough chances to prove himself this season, he started the season well and then some mystery illnes fked him after that he just didn't got enough chances to prove himself... if he had got the amount of chances that Willian had I can surely bet we would have been even better. But he just didn't got enough chances nor did Salah( just for the sake). You can't always expect a player to play a decent game when he plays a game after months and then he's dropped forever. Willian's got lucky.. Schurrle was also very good last season...

He's just a good workhorse with good ball retention qualities and stamina.. he isn't even that good defensively imo, it's just his endless stamina and running which allows him to cover almost every part of the pitch. But in the final third he hardly provides anything.. whenever he has the ball in the box he has a brain fade and couldn't do anything most of the time. Because of the fact he provides so less attacking threat from the right, teams double man mark Eden Hazard who our most coveted attacker and it also puts a lot of pressure on Hazard.. and hence we struggle. He doesn't even provide half the attacking threat of Hazard. Willian isn't creative enough to unlock tight defenses nor he have the directness or eye for the goal nor he has the ability to make team tick.

And the fact he is a 30million pound attacking winger who scores or creates less goals than a defender is shambolic. 

Willian is a good player when we play big sides, but when we need to break deadlock or defenses he isn't the guy I would want anywhere near the team.

It's really strange how Willian is overrated by Chelsea fans despite being bang average for most of the time he plays. All in all thank goodness we signed Cuadrado... hope it will be finally a end of Willian at Chelsea's first XI.

That's my point and it wouldn't change much unless he puts more consistent performances for a period of time (which I doubt would ever gonna happen).

Edited by CFCBlue12

A good start due to a "decent" game vs Villa?  See I thought you mean building on top of being one of the most important players in January.  Well, lets see what Willian did in January that's already being discredited, as I predicted (well, to be fair, kind of like predicting that if you jump in a lake you'll probably get wet. Im not exactly Nostradamus here.) in the Swansea thread.

You know,

-Scoring opener vs Watford

-Setting up opener vs Newcastle with his quick/short corner

-Pivotal in setting up the only two goals against Swansea that werent basically Swan OG's, whilst he was on the pitch.  Including an amazing solo-run and curving throughball for the 4th.

-Assisted game winner vs Liverpool

-MOTM, atleast in my mind, vs Aston Villa with an assist for the opener, again.....but already downgraded to a decent shift by others.

Thats off the top of my head for January.  Pivotal in opening the scoring in 4 games in a month.  Not bad for a player who apparently has no end product.

Doesnt seem you are too happy when he has a decent end product.   If he has an even better February, will we be talking about a "good start after one decent game" or will some people accept the fact Willian is starting to improve in that area?  When did beloved Schurrle put together such a month?  You seemed delighted for Schurrle but I cant think of a month, or eve a string of games, where his end product matched that of Willian this past month.

Not saying I don't agree with your argument because I do rate Willian, but what you posted there is just nit picking all his highlights of the season.

Lets not forget the minutes he has had, we are first in the league, he was a big money signing, you can pick those highlights out of any player in the side. Funnily enough you could pick better highlights out of Schurrle and he had way less game time than Willian.

I see a close correlation between people that don't see the contribution Willian gives to this team, to much time on fifa and never having played 11's football... 

Not saying this is a 100% of the case... I get the fealing blue daze is not the first to attack the play station in the evenings but I would say 90% of the cases.... 

Haha, well we all know that's complete bullsh*t.

Don't confuse what you think with fact. Unlike some I put Chelsea's success before being right about something on the internet. Willian being the best player possible is they must important thing for me and my criticism of him comes from worrying that he won't be.

Understand?

Don't confuse what you think with fact. Unlike some I put Chelsea's success before being right about something on the internet. Willian being the best player possible is they must important thing for me and my criticism of him comes from worrying that he won't be.

Understand?

Are you putting this season's success so far before being right about Willian? 

It's fine to worry about a player not being good enough, what isn't fine is digging him out after every single game, even one's where he's been one of our better players in. 

Are you putting this season's success so far before being right about Willian?

It's fine to worry about a player not being good enough, what isn't fine is digging him out after every single game, even one's where he's been one of our better players in.

Think I said he was man of the match. Hardly digging him out.

I also cheer him on every time he takes the field for us. I do have concerns about whether he has the quality on the ball for us and that is evident in what he does on the pitch and in the stats. I've always said he was a very tidy player with a great touch but expressed reservations about his vision, his decision making and his finishing.

Let's be honest, at 26 he's hardly a developing player likely to change much is he.

Think I said he was man of the match. Hardly digging him out.

I also cheer him on every time he takes the field for us. I do have concerns about whether he has the quality on the ball for us and that is evident in what he does on the pitch and in the stats. I've always said he was a very tidy player with a great touch but expressed reservations about his vision, his decision making and his finishing.

Let's be honest, at 26 he's hardly a developing player likely to change much is he.

Well either a f**k load of people are wrong (most in this thread and Jose) or you are... .. just saying 

Well either a f**k load of people are wrong (most in this thread and Jose) or you are... .. just saying

I wouldn't say that a handful of people on a forum constituted a f**kload but wrong about what exactly?

That he's got a poor goalscoring and goal creating record? That he's hardly going to change radically at 26? Must be all that FIFA I play colouring my view.

I wouldn't say that a handful of people on a forum constituted a f**kload but wrong about what exactly?

That he's got a poor goalscoring and goal creating record? That he's hardly going to change radically at 26? Must be all that FIFA I play colouring my view.

Haha,,, that fifa comment must have stuck in your head....

I have to hand it to you you move the point of the topic and conversation to suit you with all the skill of the most season polotition.

I think you will see from my comment that I suspect you don't fall in to that demographic... just that your company in this opinion probably do......

Secondly, every one acknowledges that we would like a better goal return... 

The difference lies in that my self, and I would say most others tend to see the value and believe he has been absolutely pivotal to our team this season. Most of us think he has great work rate, great close control and skill and always makes him self available, never hides, covers ivan's ass time and time again... 

You believe his work rate is massively over rated because he closes the keeper down once a game and moves his legs quickly while not actually running fast, essentially at this point it's no shock that you don't rate him.

So to restate my point to make it a bit easier for you, most on this forum and in this thread think that Willian is pivotal.... you disagree... your either a visionary far beyond most of us or... well... you know 

I love Willian.

So does Jose.

The guy is a machine. A freak of nature. I have rarely if ever seen a player who covers that much ground, closes down opponents, wins the ball so well, retains the ball so well and supports his team mates so well. His positional play and reading of the game is truly superb. And he does it practically every single game.

I pity those that can't see what a dynamic he brings to our team. Those that only see the Panini sticker description of Willian as an "attacking midfielder" are missing the point of his effectiveness and the job he does for Mourinho completely.

I say again, I love Willian.

I love Willian.

So does Jose.

The guy is a machine. A freak of nature. I have rarely if ever seen a player who covers that much ground, closes down opponents, wins the ball so well, retains the ball so well and supports his team mates so well. His positional play and reading of the game is truly superb. And he does it practically every single game.

I pity those that can't see what a dynamic he brings to our team. Those that only see the Panini sticker description of Willian as an "attacking midfielder" are missing the point of his effectiveness and the job he does for Mourinho completely.

You don't need to pity those that don't agree with you, just accept that people have different opinions.

But it's lovely that you love him. Feeling the love in here today.

Edited by Blue Daze

Not saying I don't agree with your argument because I do rate Willian, but what you posted there is just nit picking all his highlights of the season.

Lets not forget the minutes he has had, we are first in the league, he was a big money signing, you can pick those highlights out of any player in the side. Funnily enough you could pick better highlights out of Schurrle and he had way less game time than Willian.

No, just nit picking the highlights of the past month.

Then go ahead and point out a single month where Schurrle has had that much of an influence on so many games. Aside from Costa/Hazard/Cesc I think you fail to do that with any of our players in terms of helping produce goals like that in a month this season.

Here's a fun fact.  The poor Willian has only provided a goal or an assist in 8 of his 48 BPL appearances.  Pathetic, unlike the heavy end producing Schurrle who has provided a goal or an assist in an amazing 8 of his 44 BPL appearances.

Where this notion of Schurrle being this amazing non-stop threat for CFC came from, I do not know. Take away his hat trick against Fulham and his brace against Stoke and his stats are worse than Willian's.  Sure its not fair to take away his 2 best games, but do that to Willian and half of his direct goal scoring contributions don't dry up.  That shows you how widely inconsistent Schurrle is.  You need players you can rely on to win long campaigns, I suspect thats why Jose was not so keen on a player whose often invisible aside from scoring when only 1 in over 20 performances were that of a match winner and 8 out of 44 where they actually scored or provided an assist. 

Willian is starting to show improvement in what he is being slated most for, his end product and helping create goals.  What progress was Schurrle making? For all this talk of how Schurrle was a massively better threat going forward, how can that be true when half of his goal/assist contributions came in 2 out of 44 appearances?  That was Schurrle's greatest asset to the team and he certainly wasn't providing enough of it to even keep out such a non-threat as Willian allegedly is not to speak of the overall contributions to the team of either player outside those two stats.

If Cuadrado puts Willian on the bench with his performances than I will be pleased. I mean if the player who put Schurrle on the bench with his performances suffers the same fate due to Cuadrado, then that can only be good for the team.

Edited by Barry Bridges

No, just nit picking the highlights of the past month.

Then go ahead and point out a single month where Schurrle has had that much of an influence on so many games. Aside from Costa/Hazard/Cesc I think you fail to do that with any of our players in terms of helping produce goals like that in a month this season.

Here's a fun fact. The poor Willian has only provided a goal or an assist in 8 of his 48 BPL appearances. Pathetic, unlike the heavy end producing Schurrle who has provided a goal or an assist in an amazing 8 of his 44 BPL appearances.

Where this notion of Schurrle being this amazing non-stop threat for CFC came from, I do not know. Take away his hat trick against Fulham and his brace against Stoke and his stats are worse than Willian's. Sure its not fair to take away his 2 best games, but do that to Willian and half of his direct goal scoring contributions don't dry up. That shows you how widely inconsistent Schurrle is. You need players you can rely on to win long campaigns, I suspect thats why Jose was not so keen on a player whose often invisible aside from scoring when only 1 in over 20 performances were that of a match winner and 8 out of 44 where they actually scored or provided an assist.

Willian is starting to show improvement in what he is being slated most for, his end product and helping create goals. What progress was Schurrle making? For all this talk of how Schurrle was a massively better threat going forward, how can that be true when half of his goal/assist contributions came in 2 out of 44 appearances? That was Schurrle's greatest asset to the team and he certainly wasn't providing enough of it to even keep out such a non-threat as Willian allegedly is not to speak of the overall contributions to the team of either player outside those two stats.

If Cuadrado puts Willian on the bench with his performances than I will be pleased. I mean if the player who put Schurrle on the bench with his performances suffers the same fate due to Cuadrado, then that can only be good for the team.

Schurrle was apparently suffering from an illness that affected him this season and he featured in about a quarter of the minutes William did.

Willian has had a decent month and hopefully it continues. I'm hoping Cuadrado proves his worth though and combines work rate with effective use of the ball on a consistent basis against the best teams around.

no- lets try to avoid viewing things in the most facile way possible ignoring every possible contextual factor when offering an opinion. lets try that.

So you're saying managers never get things wrong?

I think it's pretty factual that Willian doesn't have many goals or assists to his name, is it wrong pointing that out? Or is it wrong because the manager has selected him. That's just a lazy argument.

I love Willian.

So does Jose.

Is it Valentines day already?

I love Willian.

So does Jose.