Mike 93

Willian

Obviously £60m is a lot for Willian and to any other club I would say that we should sell him for that but United are desperate for someone of his quality and type to play RW it would massively improve and balance their team and make them much more competitive is that worth £60m I don't think so.  

Its all good saying he's not a £60M player, but at the end of the day he would need replacing if we sold him, and he's clearly one of the brighter sparks in the team at the moment.

We could spend 40M on someone else and they could be sh*te!

Its all good saying he's not a £60M player, but at the end of the day he would need replacing if we sold him, and he's clearly one of the brighter sparks in the team at the moment.

We could spend 40M on someone else and they could be sh*te!

Totally agree.

Everyone worries about turning down good money, I don't know why.

It's not like they get a cut of the money or cheap tickets, nor do we need the money, we have no CL football to attract top new players to spend it on.

Personally I'd bite off Woodward's w**king arm if he was offering £60M for Willian.

We have a number of players who can play as a right-sided attacking midfielder. Moses, Oscar, Traore and Cuadrado to name but four ...

Obviously £60m is a lot for Willian and to any other club I would say that we should sell him for that but United are desperate for someone of his quality and type to play RW it would massively improve and balance their team and make them much more competitive is that worth £60m I don't think so.  

That's an understatement!

I know he got our player of the season (only real candidate but where was he from about March time?) but f**k Me, £60M? If we were looking to sign him I wouldn't want to part with half of that amount.

for me, willian is technically proficient, but he just doesn't do enough. if next season he still hasn't provided enough goals and assists then we may have to look elsewhere. i think pedro and willian are not too dissimilar. i wouldn't entertain the thought of letting him go to utd though; anywhere but another epl side. 

even though i agree getting Willian would improve their squad, this isn't a reason for us to turn down the sale
remember United virtually have unlimited budget, if they don't get their hands on Willian, you bet they will get their hands on other good player
might as well for us to make this an opportunity to improve our team
so the real question isn't whether Willian would improve United. the real question is whether we can improve our squad using that money

My question, other than being disinclined to sell our player of the year and to a rival at that, is how much is £60m in today's market?

It seems to me to have inflated again massively as a result of the new TV deal.

First off nobody is offering £60m for Willian. It's a nonsense rumour with bugger all foundation.

So to the question of whether we should contemplate selling Willian? Abd9kiteky not unless it is a stupid bid.

Yes he dipped in form in final third of season but it's hardly a surprise given that he carried the team for two thirds of it. Carried them to the extent that I'm sure I saw a taxi meter attached to his shoulders.

He is an excellent professional, p laying better now than he ever has, has a turn of pace that defenders hate, excellent work rate and his ability to protect full backs has improved (used to be a real weakness).

On form Hazard clearky a better player on the flank as was Robben and Duff however there are many playe5s at Chelsea I'd look to offload before Willian.

First off nobody is offering £60m for Willian. It's a nonsense rumour with bugger all foundation.

So to the question of whether we should contemplate selling Willian? Abd9kiteky not unless it is a stupid bid.

Yes he dipped in form in final third of season but it's hardly a surprise given that he carried the team for two thirds of it. Carried them to the extent that I'm sure I saw a taxi meter attached to his shoulders.

He is an excellent professional, p laying better now than he ever has, has a turn of pace that defenders hate, excellent work rate and his ability to protect full backs has improved (used to be a real weakness).

On form Hazard clearky a better player on the flank as was Robben and Duff however there are many playe5s at Chelsea I'd look to offload before Willian.

His versatility is a real plus, too. He's a real hard worker, covers a lot of ground and helps out defensively. His stats are quite misleading. Yes, it would be nice if Willian could score more often, but he's a very valuable asset to the team.

My question, other than being disinclined to sell our player of the year and to a rival at that, is how much is £60m in today's market?

It seems to me to have inflated again massively as a result of the new TV deal.

£60m will get you the vast majority of players apart from your Messi's and such so it's a significant amount of money even in today's market. 

Personally I'd bite off Woodward's w**king arm if he was offering £60M for Willian.

We have a number of players who can play as a right-sided attacking midfielder. Moses, Oscar, Traore and Cuadrado to name but four ...

Jesus, did you watch any of last season? There were days when Willian was the team.

As for Cuadrado, I don't think I have ever seen player less suited to the EPL. He was a disaster first time around, (his marking and tackling efforts in particular were comedy gold), and I will be deeply depressed if Conte brings him back and actually plays him.

We must keep hold of Willian at all cost. We will have no midfield drive and tempo if he goes.

Jesus, did you watch any of last season? There were days when Willian was the team.

As for Cuadrado, I don't think I have ever seen player less suited to the EPL. He was a disaster first time around, (his marking and tackling efforts in particular were comedy gold), and I will be deeply depressed if Conte brings him back and actually plays him.

We must keep hold of Willian at all cost. We will have no midfield drive and tempo if he goes.

Cuadrado who went past full backs as if they weren't there. Or should that read Cuadrado who only went past full backs if they weren't there.

Why on earth would we want to let Willian go comfortable in the knowledge we have much worse players who can play in his position.

Leading on from what g3.7 said in the Conte thread about patterns of play being drilled into the players.

I feel that this will greatly help Willian. He's obviously got the technical ability to make things happen, just seems to lack the initiative. If attacking patterns are drilled into him I can see his productivity going up a lot. He did look great under Lucescu at Shakhtar where he'd clearly carefully choreographed their attacks.

This is pretty much spot on. Willian drives us forward so much, those bursts of pace he has are instrumental for us going forward.

This is pretty much spot on. Willian drives us forward so much, those bursts of pace he has are instrumental for us going forward.

He causes opposition defences and midfielders loads of trouble when they try and bring it out from defence and very often took the ball in their half and got us on attack before the could get set up. But as so many fans now seem to just use stats to rate a player he isnt rated.

£60m will get you the vast majority of players apart from your Messi's and such so it's a significant amount of money even in today's market. 

I don't think it does any more.

big teenage prospects in europe seemed to be valued at £30m or even more. when you look at fees for di maria, sterling, de bruyne, rodriguez etc I suspect that £60m is the new £30m. factor in the gigantic tv deal coming into effect and I don't think £60m could easily buy a better player than willian. but then I accept he's as divisive a player as we have in the squad. some people here would describe him as merely a runner, I'm definitely at the other end of that scale.

I would be surprised if conte would want rid too. I think he ticks a lot of the boxes he looks for.