Mike 93

Willian

Leading on from what g3.7 said in the Conte thread about patterns of play being drilled into the players.

I feel that this will greatly help Willian. He's obviously got the technical ability to make things happen, just seems to lack the initiative. If attacking patterns are drilled into him I can see his productivity going up a lot. He did look great under Lucescu at Shakhtar where he'd clearly carefully choreographed their attacks.

This point by Samdwich regarding the choreography of Shakhtar and Willian's potency within that structure, i think is well made. Of all of our players i genuinely expect Willian's profile to increase under Conte's tutelage.

I don't think it does any more.

big teenage prospects in europe seemed to be valued at £30m or even more. when you look at fees for di maria, sterling, de bruyne, rodriguez etc I suspect that £60m is the new £30m. factor in the gigantic tv deal coming into effect and I don't think £60m could easily buy a better player than willian. but then I accept he's as divisive a player as we have in the squad. some people here would describe him as merely a runner, I'm definitely at the other end of that scale.

I would be surprised if conte would want rid too. I think he ticks a lot of the boxes he looks for.

I don't think it's as bad you are suggesting personally, plenty of big teenage prospects can still be purchased for £30m or less. It's just the likes of Marital, Sterling, Sanchez, etc where all at clubs that had the luxury of charging whatever they wanted. It may become the norm in the future, talking about 5 years further down the line here once the clubs have settled with a steady stream of hefty TV money, but it certainly won't be right away, meaning that £60m next season is still more than enough to buy the top players.

Easily? Well probably not in our current state but there are undoubtedly better players than Willian that £60m would get you. Maybe even two £30m players that are better. 

He will do a good job for Conte on the wings so I would be surprised too. 

^ Agree! Anything over £35m & I will take it. Quite baffled fans don't want to judge a player in the band of 3 by their output. There are 10+ players in the league that play in that band of 3 just behind the forward that are better are him just off my head. Tell you what, some fans felt Torres was brilliant while he was here even though his stats showed different. We now have terms like "secondary assists" to justify what Willian brings to the team.

I would not sell Willian only because there is no replacement. With Willian, we at least know he can be good on his days. I also think he is not suited in a 4231. He is great at transitions but is abysmal when he gets near the goal. His decision making and shot accuracy are very poor.

I would like to see a shift to 433 where Willian plays the middle 3. That would be perfect for him with someone like Griezmann, Costa and Hazard in front of him. We will be lethal with that line up. A guy can dream right?

Edited by JoseBlues

Did anyone see how fat he got? There was a video going around the other day. His season hasn't even ended and he already looks out of shape.

I don't really care though, as long as he's fit when our season starts.

Must be something to do with winning our Player of the year prize...

Ha . We inflate player price by that award . Everyone wants Chelsea's best player .

Blue moon Rising

Bit of a beer belly, he's been on the Budweiser. He turns up like that pre season, Conte won't play him, same goes for other players.

Edited by Floyd25

I'm sure it's just a weird camera angle, but I think between now and the start of the season he has the Copa America and the Olympics, so he should come into the season in top condition if a little tired!

I'm sure it's just a weird camera angle, but I think between now and the start of the season he has the Copa America and the Olympics, so he should come into the season in top condition if a little tired!

He had the Copa America to deal with last season too. I remember Mata playing a similar amount of football when he was with us, we ended up giving him an extended break at the start of the season, it payed off perfectly for him. Mata went on to have the best season of his career so far.

Edited by Scott Harris

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2016/05/internationals--willian-wins--cuadrado-scores.html?extcmp=SOCIA_TW_ENG_ARTICLES

yeah he's filled out so much I can see his ribs through his shirt, god the press loves a sh*t story he is as thin as ever. 

Exactly, a passing shot on twitter that looks like someone filmed their tv on a strange setting, and suddenly it's time to panic