Davey Baby

The John Obi Mikel Goal Scoring Thread

2 hours ago, PloKoon13 said:

I'm not ready to share yet, I hope you understand. It's hard to describe all the subtle ways in which he made things happen.

That's impossible PloKoon13 we all know John Obi only passed backwards. 

FFS you haters get on my tits1

A fine servant and always at least a useful squad player, but I never felt that he really fulfilled his potential, or rose above being a good to very good player for Chelsea.

I think it was because he was simply content to play a rather limited 'anchor man' role for Chelsea by simply sitting in front of the defence and circulating the ball rather than using his considerable strength, passing and tackling ability and vision to play a more expansive and influential role within the side, as he did for Nigeria (maybe as a more rounded defensive midfielder, or even a deep-lying playmaker). Granted, this may have been because successive managers used him in such a role and so he may thought that was what was expected of him. 

I wish him a nice payday in Tianjin. 

Mikel being the leader we all know any person needs; counselling loyalty and perseverance:

http://www.supersport.com/football/nigeria/news/170217/Mikel_lectures_Iheanacho_on_perseverance

He really should listen to a man who has basically won every trophy going. Come back #12, please come back. We're not the same without you. I'm sure that Mikel is experiencing a similar void... I know I am.

"He is a strong lad, a very positive minded being and level headed.

“He will regain his spot in the team, he just have to keep on working hard in training and wait for his chance, when it comes I know he won’t disappoint.

“Every player wants to play and when you are not getting into the match day squad it can be so discouraging. But I have learnt to always pick the positives from every situation."

Edited by PloKoon13

This thread has laid dormant for a while now so sorry if I offend anyone by "awakening" it. Saw an article i wanted to share. [Hope not breaking any rules, mods please call me to order nicely if I am :-) ]

http://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/tribute-john-obi-mikel-nigerias-creator-turned-chelseas-water-carrier/

I read this article and the line that i felt touched by, was one that someone on here in one of the threads touched on in the close season. The poster said something about when Mikel went to Olympics and came back Conte didn't play him again because he had told him before he left that it was at the risk of his Chelsea career. Don't know how true it is but he sure never played again. And this is the line that struck a chord in me when i read it;

In that time Mikel had quietly become Chelsea’s second longest-serving player behind John Terry, an honour that was difficult to reconcile with his diminished status in the squad, but that decision to put country before club proved to be the death knell for his Chelsea career.

Now it got me thinking,  a long serving player, truly loves the club and treated (I won't say badly but could have been better) that way never once moaned or complained but just sat on the sidelines and watched like the rest of us, trained and provided maybe moral support behind the scenes and was quietly eased out in January unceremoniously. Even after leaving we haven't really heard anything critical he has said about his last days at Chelsea .

Compare this behaviour with the man in Brazil who incidentally is loved, hailed and courted fervently amongst the fans, notwithstanding his less than acceptable behaviour sometimes (some would argue most times) because he scores goals and then take a step back and breathe. Be rational, think clearly, how this compares with how Obi was "loved, hailed and courted fervently amongst the fans"......... humanity is failing humanity in this tribal game of football and fandom. Just my opinion.

9 minutes ago, abister1 said:

This thread has laid dormant for a while now so sorry if I offend anyone by "awakening" it. Saw an article i wanted to share. [Hope not breaking any rules, mods please call me to order nicely if I am :-) ]

http://www.planetfootball.com/in-depth/tribute-john-obi-mikel-nigerias-creator-turned-chelseas-water-carrier/

I read this article and the line that i felt touched by, was one that someone on here in one of the threads touched on in the close season. The poster said something about when Mikel went to Olympics and came back Conte didn't play him again because he had told him before he left that it was at the risk of his Chelsea career. Don't know how true it is but he sure never played again. And this is the line that struck a chord in me when i read it;

In that time Mikel had quietly become Chelsea’s second longest-serving player behind John Terry, an honour that was difficult to reconcile with his diminished status in the squad, but that decision to put country before club proved to be the death knell for his Chelsea career.

Now it got me thinking,  a long serving player, truly loves the club and treated (I won't say badly but could have been better) that way never once moaned or complained but just sat on the sidelines and watched like the rest of us, trained and provided maybe moral support behind the scenes and was quietly eased out in January unceremoniously. Even after leaving we haven't really heard anything critical he has said about his last days at Chelsea .

Compare this behaviour with the man in Brazil who incidentally is loved, hailed and courted fervently amongst the fans, notwithstanding his less than acceptable behaviour sometimes (some would argue most times) because he scores goals and then take a step back and breathe. Be rational, think clearly, how this compares with how Obi was "loved, hailed and courted fervently amongst the fans"......... humanity is failing humanity in this tribal game of football and fandom. Just my opinion.

Just shows how great of a human being Mikel is, compared to this ungrateful man in brazil... Mikel deserved all the success and respect he gained as a Chelsea player. Period. 

3 minutes ago, Londonisblue said:

Just shows how great of a human being Mikel is, compared to this ungrateful man in brazil... Mikel deserved all the success and respect he gained as a Chelsea player. Period. 

Are we not saying his name now? 

Conte actually treated him badly because he wanted to represent his country at the Olympic which was it was even worse when he wasnt given the chance to play one last match and say good bye to the fans that have become a daily part of his life. I have never seen a player treated as bad especially for a player that has been here for a decade.
Conte did something similar with Costa too, but unlike Costa Mikel took his fate humbly as a result very few people new the reason why he left for China. I really love him.

I watched him and Moses in the world cup qualifying matches against Cameroon playing as a number 10 and he look class. We should have sold him for at least 30m to China. Tianjin Teda actually can't believe how lucky they are to have him for far less.