The John Obi Mikel Goal Scoring Thread

Hello all,

first time poster here. I spotted the JOM thread amongst the top 3 threads on the list so I assume he has been a topic of discussion amongst fellow Chelsea fans. I have seen Mikel play for Chelsea as long as he has been with us and cannot for the love of me see what managers see in him to have played him this consistently over the past few seasons. I thought all that would change under Jose but this season has been no different (except that JOM has scored 2 goals instead of the customary 0).

Now, I have no personal vendetta against the man but in my humble opinion he is probably one of the most overrated players to have ever played for Chelsea. Those who argue about his super defensive abilities should know that I have lost count of the number of times I have seen Mikel lose a player around our penalty area, only for that player to end up unmarked in our area to score. The latest in that long list of mishaps is the Nasri goal on Saturday. I don't think that I have to mention his sheer lack of playmaking ability in the middle of the park. I can feel my blood curdle whenever Chelsea are on the verge of a good break and the ball falls to Mikel, only for him to take half a dozen touches before passing it either square or finding one of our attackers, who has, by that time been surrounded by 2 or 3 opposition players.

It was great watching Luiz and Matic keep City at bay in the league game a few days ago. Why Mikel got the nod in central midfield ahead of the likes of Lampard, Oscar, Luiz and Ramires is a mystery. Matic has been a top performer since arriving in January and just when there was hope that this could mean the end of the road for Mikel, there he is starting a "must not lose" cup tie away from home at probably the toughest venue in England at the moment, in a game where we were fine without him just a few days ago.

Like I have said, I am at the end of my wits trying to figure out exactly what makes Mikel so special to enjoy such favours from Chelsea managers time and again. Maybe some of you could enlighten me.

Cheers,

Which he does...

I was only mentioning goals because I can pretty much guarantee that if he scored the odd goal every now and then (instead of twice every seven years), people would rate him differently.

Negatively. He dictates our play Negatively.

He's hardly ever terrible but on the other hand, he's rarely ever good. He's a consistent 6/10.

Hello all,

first time poster here. I spotted the JOM thread amongst the top 3 threads on the list so I assume he has been a topic of discussion amongst fellow Chelsea fans. I have seen Mikel play for Chelsea as long as he has been with us and cannot for the love of me see what managers see in him to have played him this consistently over the past few seasons. I thought all that would change under Jose but this season has been no different (except that JOM has scored 2 goals instead of the customary 0).

Now, I have no personal vendetta against the man but in my humble opinion he is probably one of the most overrated players to have ever played for Chelsea. Those who argue about his super defensive abilities should know that I have lost count of the number of times I have seen Mikel lose a player around our penalty area, only for that player to end up unmarked in our area to score. The latest in that long list of mishaps is the Nasri goal on Saturday. I don't think that I have to mention his sheer lack of playmaking ability in the middle of the park. I can feel my blood curdle whenever Chelsea are on the verge of a good break and the ball falls to Mikel, only for him to take half a dozen touches before passing it either square or finding one of our attackers, who has, by that time been surrounded by 2 or 3 opposition players.

It was great watching Luiz and Matic keep City at bay in the league game a few days ago. Why Mikel got the nod in central midfield ahead of the likes of Lampard, Oscar, Luiz and Ramires is a mystery. Matic has been a top performer since arriving in January and just when there was hope that this could mean the end of the road for Mikel, there he is starting a "must not lose" cup tie away from home at probably the toughest venue in England at the moment, in a game where we were fine without him just a few days ago.

Like I have said, I am at the end of my wits trying to figure out exactly what makes Mikel so special to enjoy such favours from Chelsea managers time and again. Maybe some of you could enlighten me.

Cheers,

The only reason he was anywhere near the squad on Saturday was because Luiz needed to fill in at CB in Terry's absence.

First post is a huge essay criticising Mikel. Welcome to the forum.

I have no personal vendetta against the man but in my humble opinion he is probably one of the most overrated players to have ever played for Chelsea

Gem of a sentence after some of the players who have lined up for us, considering Mikel is hardly ever rated by anyone apart from his managers.

Edited by Stim

Mikel effects play so negatively that sometimes I wonder whether we'd play better if he got sent off. Mikel sucks, he used to be ok at best when chelsea played slower football, but there was never a game where I'd say, oh wow Mikel was great tonight, and if another dumbass says, we'd all think he was great if he scored a goal or 2 every now and then I swear I will rip my own arm off and throw it at them. Makalele never ever scored, still he was a chelsea hero because he complimented our game play and was amazing in that position, as for mikel he really isnt that good at winning the ball, and when someone passes to him its like oh no here comes 3-5mins of pressure on our goal and then we finally get a break and then someone passes the ball to mikel and he then takes 7 touches then squares the ball, by that point even west ham, west brom, cardiff or whatever rubbish side we're up against has regrouped, then bam more pressure on our goal for another few mins. Whenever I see him warming up on the side line I look at my watch and then add 10 and think by then we will have conceded at least 1 and our possession will have dropped by about 10-15%. Cannot be denied, if anyone argues, look at our game stats against west brom before and after Mikel came on, likewise with Man U last month, and look how we stood up to city in the league without Mikel as opposed to with Mikel in the cup. I hope we sell him to Man U, then when they put him on against us we can smash them 6-0

First post is a huge essay criticising Mikel. Welcome to the forum.

Gem of a sentence after some of the players who have lined up for us, considering Mikel is hardly ever rated by anyone apart from his managers.

Thanks for the Welcome,

The reason I call Mikel overrated is because of the near immunity he enjoys whenever Chelsea's shortcomings are being analysed. It is almost as if it is taboo to highlight his laziness moving forward or his regular costly defensive lapses.

The only explanation I have is that he is a very committed and nice lad to have in the group. But that is clearly not enough to stick with a player who has been so detrimental to Chelsea in the past two seasons. If you think my first post was an essay, wait till I show you the spreadsheet I have compiled about his performances this season :)

Of the 27 games that he has been avtively involved in this season, there have been only 10 or so games where his contribution can be deemed as positive. That is a mind boggling stat. The only other explanation; and this is a bit out there, is that Jose is using Mikel in a clever way to keep expectations down this season. Want to drop points/lose a game? Start with Mikel!

Mikel effects play so negatively that sometimes I wonder whether we'd play better if he got sent off. Mikel sucks, he used to be ok at best when chelsea played slower football, but there was never a game where I'd say, oh wow Mikel was great tonight, and if another dumbass says, we'd all think he was great if he scored a goal or 2 every now and then I swear I will rip my own arm off and throw it at them. Makalele never ever scored, still he was a chelsea hero because he complimented our game play and was amazing in that position, as for mikel he really isnt that good at winning the ball, and when someone passes to him its like oh no here comes 3-5mins of pressure on our goal and then we finally get a break and then someone passes the ball to mikel and he then takes 7 touches then squares the ball, by that point even west ham, west brom, cardiff or whatever rubbish side we're up against has regrouped, then bam more pressure on our goal for another few mins. Whenever I see him warming up on the side line I look at my watch and then add 10 and think by then we will have conceded at least 1 and our possession will have dropped by about 10-15%. Cannot be denied, if anyone argues, look at our game stats against west brom before and after Mikel came on, likewise with Man U last month, and look how we stood up to city in the league without Mikel as opposed to with Mikel in the cup. I hope we sell him to Man U, then when they put him on against us we can smash them 6-0

Our win % is extremely high with Mikel in the team.

Saying "Mikel sucks" just makes you come across as petty. 

Cherry picking your games to highlight your point is a poor basis for an argument, we was regressing against WBA even before Mikel came on. 

I could point to games such as United away last season when Mikel's introduction improved our midfield but again that's cherry picking to suit an argument. 

You are implying that a complete change in our performance against City is basically down to the fact that Mikel played... Do you honestly believe that or does making a wild and frankly rediculous statement make you feel better? 

Yes Mikel was poor against City but then so were the other 13 players who took to the pitch in a Chelsea shirt. 

Me personally, I would have Mikel down as our 4th choice midfielder right now but to be so aggressive about a player who has made over 300 appearances for the club, personally I find that uncalled for. 

The only reason he was anywhere near the squad on Saturday was because Luiz needed to fill in at CB in Terry's absence.

It could have been

Cesar Ivan Cahill Cole

Matic Luiz Ramires

That for me would have been a lot more solid, than having that sideshow Bob running the deck

Granted, we haven't had to play like that many times at all...but can you honestly say that Mikel is completely useless and doesn't offer us anything? Have managers like Mourinho, Hiddink, Ancelotti, RDM, Benítez and Mourinho again just simply 'got it wrong' by selecting him consistently in the team?

My point is that Mikel offers Chelsea more than we think. Managers know his gift because they're experts and we, as much as you might disagree, are not.

Revisionist nonsense.

Jose's first choice DM in his first spell at the club- MAKALELE.

Grant's 1st choice - Maka

Maka left and the only competition Mikel faced for his place was an oft injured Ess.

Scholari started with Essien ,who then proceeded to get injured and Mikel got the nod. Ess returns from injury and Mikel is back on the bench.

Guus' 1st choice -Lampard,Essien and Ballack. He even used Ballack as DM rather than playing Mikel there.

Carlo's 1st season- tried quite a few players at DM including Ballack and Deco. None of the players were a fit for that position and Mikel got the job.

Carlo's 2nd- We were thread bare and had let go of a lot of our players.Mikel was first choice here and what a great season that turned out to be!

AvB 1st choice -Romeu

Robbie's 1st choice-Mikel .

Jose's 2nd spell- Mikel has to compete with an ancient Lampard,an injured Ginkel, a loaned out Romeu and a b2b Ramires and still cannot be called a 1st string player. Matic is a recent purchase and has already cemented his place in the team.

So 2 seasons Mikel can claim to being an undisputed starter-08/09 ,10/11 and Robbie's tenure. In 10/11 it had got to a point where even Zhirkov played in CM.

Chelsea have not really invested in the CM positions since Maka left.  Mikel had to compete with players who were not actual DMs and considering we played a formation where a DM was a must,it requires no stretch of imagination as to why Mikel has started as much as he has. The position Mikel plays in has been fairly weak for years.The  managerial merry-go-round at Chelsea  and our board's tendency to just wing it have contributed heavily as well.

Edited by Sing the Blues

Revisionist nonsense.

Jose's first choice DM in his first spell at the club- MAKALELE.

Grant's 1st choice - Maka

Maka left and the only competition Mikel faced for his place was an oft injured Ess.

Scholari started with Essien ,who then proceeded to get injured and Mikel got the nod. Ess returns from injury and Mikel is back on the bench.

Guus' 1st choice -Lampard,Essien and Ballack. He even used Ballack as DM rather than playing Mikel there.

Carlo's 1st season- tried quite a few players at DM including Ballack and Deco. None of the players were a fit for that position and Mikel got the job.

Carlo's 2nd- We were thread bare and had let go of a lot of our players.Mikel was first choice here and what a great season that turned out to be!

AvB 1st choice -Romeu

Robbie's 1st choice-Mikel .

Jose's 2nd spell- Mikel has to compete with an ancient Lampard,an injured Ginkel, a loaned out Romeu and a b2b Ramires and still cannot be called a 1st string player. Matic is a recent purchase and has already cemented his place in the team.

So 2 seasons Mikel can claim to being an undisputed starter-08/09 ,10/11 and Robbie's tenure. In 10/11 it had got to a point where even Zhirkov played in CM.

Chelsea have not really invested in the CM positions since Maka left.  Mikel had to compete with players who were not actual DMs and considering we played a formation where a DM was a must,it requires no stretch of imagination as to why Mikel has started as much as he has. The position Mikel plays in has been fairly weak for years.The  managerial merry-go-round at Chelsea  and our board's tendency to just wing it have contributed heavily as well.

Hmmm... so Mikel was first choice in our two most successful seasons since Jose and Maka left? And that is your argument?

Hmmm... so Mikel was first choice in our two most successful seasons since Jose and Maka left? And that is your argument?

Huh? The OP said he was consistently chosen to play under all very succesful managers. None of those managers post Jose  have stayed long enough to see to the overhaul of the squad.They went with the players available and most of them chose other options.Injuries to Essien in08/09 and a really thin squad in 10/11are when he was first choice.

Since Maka left Mikel was the only player capable of playing in that position.

Stating that Mikel has got a boat load of starts as some sort of vindication for his continued presence at the club is frankly ridiculous.There was no-one else to do the job.

Huh? The OP said he was consistently chosen to play under all very succesful managers. None of those managers post Jose  have stayed long enough to see to the overhaul of the squad.They went with the players available and most of them chose other options.Injuries to Essien in08/09 and a really thin squad in 10/11are when he was first choice.

Since Maka left Mikel was the only player capable of playing in that position.

Stating that Mikel has got a boat load of starts as some sort of vindication for his continued presence at the club is frankly ridiculous.There was no-one else to do the job.

By the way, Despite the availability of other players, Mikel has played in every major final (4 FA cups (one sub) and Champions League, except Europa League) since he has been here. According to you several other players were available during most seasons, right?

And get your facts right... Mikel was a first choice midfielder for most of Jose's last full season with us.

this whole thread is ridiculous. either you like mikel or dont. we get it. at the end of the day, he has been playing for us for a long time, including many of our most important games, and he has won a lot of medals. whether you rate him or not, he was there and he did what was asked of him on the day.

I personally dont think he is an amazing player, but he is certainly not worthy of the criticism that many on here level at him. he is a solid player, who generally steps up and performs in the big games. for me, he was one of our best players in Munich 2012. Agree or disagree, i dont mind, but much of this thread is the same arguments going back and forth with no-one prepared to back down. Give it up!

this whole thread is ridiculous. either you like mikel or dont. we get it. at the end of the day, he has been playing for us for a long time, including many of our most important games, and he has won a lot of medals. whether you rate him or not, he was there and he did what was asked of him on the day.

I personally dont think he is an amazing player, but he is certainly not worthy of the criticism that many on here level at him. he is a solid player, who generally steps up and performs in the big games. for me, he was one of our best players in Munich 2012. Agree or disagree, i dont mind, but much of this thread is the same arguments going back and forth with no-one prepared to back down. Give it up!

Spot on.

And get your facts right... Mikel was a first choice midfielder for most of Jose's last full season with us.

I don't think that's accurate at all.

I think he started 9 or 10 Premier League games that season. He played more in the Cups and certainly had a decent Cup Final but let's not go overboard.

I'd say 10 starts a season is about right for him myself, and I've been ploughing that same narrative since August 2006. Still, some of the abuse he gets is scandalous, I can't get into the same argument again but I think it high time that the club moved on.

I don't think a player has ever taken the kind of abuse mikel has and played such a part in winning trophies. I've said it before, he is not anywhere near as bad as some like to make out but also not as good as we hoped. There no point playing him in games where teams defend on their 16 yard line, he brings very little to the team. But when we are defending for our lives and often need a calm outlet he's excellent. He's also been a model pro for us, never complained and never caused any trouble.

Dkw. Mikel is a gent well behaved a man that loves Chelsea. At the end of the day we have to move forward. He has done his bit and has been a fantastic servant. But he is just not good enough to play for our team. Look toward the u21s there are 1 or 2 gems in there and you would end up feeling very proud that we developed them And they can be great players for us.

Mikel seems like a nice guy who loves chelsea, I can't dislike him for that reason. But he doesn't fit our system, he's been ok in the past when the team played differently. The fact is that he's been poor this season. He's started 11 games, 5 of those we've lost, 2 drawn, 4 won. Mostly not against difficult opposition, so basically the games we've tripped up in he's started. So as a percentage we won 36% of the games he's started and lost 45%. When you compare that to the 27 games he hasn't started, 21 wins, 2 losses (77% win rate and 7% loss). I know these are just numbers and there are other factors, but having seen most of these games you can see how he doesn't work in our team, all our other players play best when the games being played at a fast tempo, mikel's thing is slowing tempo, he works terribly with our 3 attacking midfielders. He's been good for the club in the past, but doesn't work well with our current crop, so I think he should go in the summer, say thanks to him and let him go excel in a team he will work well with.

Mikel is a good player who plays the simple, safe passing option 99% of the time. He's never going to be a world beater. For his size, I would have expected him to boss the midfield a lot more. However, I guess he's the gentle giant. Good, reliable but definitely not irreplaceable IMHO.