Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amputechture

Best headphones for $150 or less?

Audio Technicha ATH-M50 by a mile!

Have to agree with this. I own the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7B noise canceling headphones and I really enjoy them.

Audio Technica make a very good headphone and the M50s have had a fantastic track record from everything I've read. I think you'd be wise to at least check them out.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. Think I'll go for the m50s.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/c35da94027e94819/index.html

As the most critically acclaimed model in the M-Series line, the ATH-M50 is praised by top audio engineers and pro audio reviewers year after year. Now, the ATH-M50x professional monitor headphones feature the same coveted sonic signature, with the added feature of detachable cables.

I'm tempted to wait for the release of the M50x. Ferbruary 28th apparently, according to amazon.com

You wont be disappointed, the sound is just incredible and everytime I see people buy Beats by Dre for a sh*tload more I just laugh! Ok they are better looking I give that but they pay for the brand and looks rather then the sound quality.

It's so crisp and clear, and you hear every single percussion like you are supposed to, a whole new experience listening to music and since I was stupid enough to sell mine it just pains me everytime I have to use my sh*tty in ear headphones at the moment. 

You wont be disappointed, the sound is just incredible and everytime I see people buy Beats by Dre for a sh*tload more I just laugh! Ok they are better looking I give that but they pay for the brand and looks rather then the sound quality.

It's so crisp and clear, and you hear every single percussion like you are supposed to, a whole new experience listening to music and since I was stupid enough to sell mine it just pains me everytime I have to use my sh*tty in ear headphones at the moment.

Definitely agree with you about Beats. I've never seen something so average get all that hype before, considering how expensive it is.

Beats are crap

Bose are great

Beats arent crap. far from it. I think its only fair to say that. The sound youll get from Beats is very good.

The issue with Beats is not the sound, or the build, it is of course the price.

There is utterly no doubt you can get an equally good pair of headphones to Beats for half the price, and thats the issue. They are hideously overpriced for what they are I have no sympathy for anyone who is suckered into buying them.

For budget (under £100) in ear headphones, im still yet to find anything that matches the Soundmagic range, the E10s you can now pick up for under £40 and they pretty much match any in ear noise isolating earphones up to the £200 price range, though more fool anyone who spends that amount on headphones for day to day use anyway!

edit - sorry just realised the op was talking about over ear headphones!

In my opinion they are crap because they don't justify the price tag at all, a poor value product. A Bose headset justifies the price because they are amongst the very best around. When you compare the two the difference is incredible.

A Beats headset isn't any better than a £30 pair of Sennheisers.

That's why I would call them crap.

In my opinion they are crap because they don't justify the price tag at all, a poor value product. A Bose headset justifies the price because they are amongst the very best around. When you compare the two the difference is incredible.

A Beats headset isn't any better than a £30 pair of Sennheisers.

That's why I would call them crap.

I would argue that Bose is also overpriced when you compare the alternatives, which to your reasoning would mean they are crap too! They are clearly not crap though, and neither are Beats, just overpriced for what they are.

I had some Bose headphones - the MIE2i, cost me around £130 sometme back. They were well built but the sound was underwhelming, far prefer the aforementioned Soundmagic E10s, which cost nearly £100 less, both in terms of sound and value.

Its a minefield really, all depends on what you want. So many options out there, some , as im sure we can agree on are just stupidly overpriced, and im not just talking Beats either.

I agree that Bose and the 'top' brands are all ludicrously over priced.

However I've never had that wow factor when I try on any other brand apart from Bose. To me the sound clarity is incredible, as a drummer I noticed you can hear the finest of details in rock music especially.

I haven't ever tried out the Soundmagic E10s that you mention though, so dont know about those. I am sure there are quite a few other brands who are just as good that we don't even know about!

Beats arent crap. far from it. I think its only fair to say that. The sound youll get from Beats is very good.

There is utterly no doubt you can get an equally good pair of headphones to Beats for half the price, and thats the issue. They are hideously overpriced for what they are I have no sympathy for anyone who is suckered into buying them.

For budget (under £100) in ear headphones, im still yet to find anything that matches the Soundmagic range, the E10s you can now pick up for under £40 and they pretty much match any in ear noise isolating earphones up to the £200 price range, though more fool anyone who spends that amount on headphones for day to day use anyway!

Beats always remind of Monster cables, they will do a great job but not that much better than equipment half the price.

Actually that was useful to me because I need some reasonably priced in-ear types for when out and about, so thanks. The reviews for the E10s are overwhelmingly positive.

I agree that Bose and the 'top' brands are all ludicrously over priced.

However I've never had that wow factor when I try on any other brand apart from Bose. To me the sound clarity is incredible, as a drummer I noticed you can hear the finest of details in rock music especially.

I haven't ever tried out the Soundmagic E10s that you mention though, so dont know about those. I am sure there are quite a few other brands who are just as good that we don't even know about!

If youre a musician then its well worth spending money on top quality stuff id say, just to hear the finer details, especially as you're looking out for it more. If Bose work for you then go for it! Im just not sure of its worth whacking out £250 quid on headphones for general day to day use though.

The E10s are budget price but sound good. Im sure an audiophile expert/bore would pick them to pieces, but its all about VFM. In terms of modern days headphones, you really dont often get what you pay for.

If youre a musician then its well worth spending money on top quality stuff id say, just to hear the finer details, especially as you're looking out for it more. If Bose work for you then go for it! Im just not sure of its worth whacking out £250 quid on headphones for general day to day use though.

The E10s are budget price but sound good. Im sure an audiophile expert/bore would pick them to pieces, but its all about VFM. In terms of modern days headphones, you really dont often get what you pay for.

I've got a friend who recently completed a degree in sound engineering.

He said it's pointless spending £200+ on headphones if all you are going to do is listen to MP3's because they (MP3s) diminish the quality of sound of the recordings. 

I've got a friend who recently completed a degree in sound engineering.

He said it's pointless spending £200+ on headphones if all you are going to do is listen to MP3's because they (MP3s) diminish the quality of sound of the recordings. 

Same with over priced HDMI cables etc. It always makes me giggle a little at someone buying a 2 metre cable for £60, wont be any better than a £10 one.