Zouma - If Kurt's Happy, I'm Happy!

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

He struggled big time the first 5 minutes, but as the game went on he was very good. But you can see why he is not the first choice now, whenever we tried playing the ball from the back, he struggled. At some points in the second, when we were trying to control the game and passed the ball around, he wasn't comfortable with it on his feet. But last night showed how we can also play with defenders that are actually good in defending but less so playing the ball.

He did well tonight. His aerial presence was much appreciated. Nice to have a pair of CBs who win physical challenges. 

Tonight actually suited him perfectly because we didn't really build up from the back at all which meant he didn't need to do much with the ball in possession in our own third.  

He will always have brain fart moments in him, but for the rest of the season, he has to be first choice because of his physical presense. It can't be underestimated how impotant it is to have that strength at the back. I also think Tomori and Rudiger need a player like Zouma to play alongside too. 

We need much more next season though, we are desperate for a dominating CB that isn't going to make mistakes that could lead to a goal every game.

It depends on how we want to play. If we want to play out from the back, then good god no, he's a disaster waiting to happen. If we just want some big blokes in there who are quick and good in the air, then sure. His positoning leaves a lot to be desired, but arguably it's not that different from Rudiger's, who is also pretty poor in that regard. 

I liked seeing him back too, can look clumsy on the ball though defensively looks sound. 

I think he is one of the best options though Christensen is probably better on the ball.

I would like to see both Rudiger and Zouma again to see if they can develop a partnership.

1 hour ago, Zeta said:

It depends on how we want to play. If we want to play out from the back, then good god no, he's a disaster waiting to happen. If we just want some big blokes in there who are quick and good in the air, then sure. His positoning leaves a lot to be desired, but arguably it's not that different from Rudiger's, who is also pretty poor in that regard. 

I would happily sacrifice playing out of the back if it meant we wouldn't concede a goal from a set piece every game. We are probably more likely to concede a goal from set pieces than a stray pass from one of the CB's.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Seemed like a very strange decision not to start Zouma. Considering Haller was injured, it was near certain that Antonio was going to be playing up front, and while I'm a little uncomfortable saying this considering recent reports, is a player with a great deal of strength, pace, and stamina. I can understand starting Christensen considering we were likely to have the majority of possession, but you'd think we'd need as much physical reinforcement as possible. Rüdiger's recent form has been worrying (and while obvious structural issues in the side still exist), our defensive personnel is of real concern - all of our defenders (bar maybe Azpilicueta) have obvious flaws.

Posted (edited)

We've had three clean sheets in the last 11 games, and they were the only three that Zouma started in.

He has to play for me ... probably with Rudiger alongside, even though Rudi was dogsh*t tonight ...

Edited by Sexyfootball

We shouldn't be changing the back 4 so much but when you see the way Rudiger-Christensen are playing, how can you not? Zouma has been a lot better than those two this season, so has Tomori. I would seriously rather go back to those two, even though we had our problems with them. 

Posted (edited)

Our best form this season coincided with when Zouma was playing as a right sided centre back. That's where he needs to play.

Our issues in defence start with the ineptitude and inconsistency on the left side. Rudiger, Zouma, Christensen never look entirely comfortable in that position when we're playing away from home.

For me sell Rudiger, keep Zouma and Christensen and bring in an established left sided centre back next season. Laporte, Dunk, Ramos, Malang Sarr, Mancini, Koulibaly, Hubner, maybe even Declan Rice at a stretch would all easily be an upgrade over what we have.

Edited by the special one
Posted (edited)

Our best defender at the moment.

Most of our recent clean sheets has been when he’s played.

I know games come thick and fast but he’s vital to us if we want to stay in the top 4.

His passing was decent as well today.

Edited by 2211

Problem is that Frank still doesn’t know his best centre back pairing. He keeps switching it around depending on form. 

I think it’s clear that we need to buy a new CB - one that is dominant. 

59 minutes ago, JM7 said:

Problem is that Frank still doesn’t know his best centre back pairing. He keeps switching it around depending on form. 

I think it’s clear that we need to buy a new CB - one that is dominant. 

I think he will stick with Zouma now at least, he looks far more solid than Rudiger.

53 minutes ago, Malcolm9 said:

I think he will stick with Zouma now at least, he looks far more solid than Rudiger.

Until he has a nightmare and he will be switched out again. Seen all season. Frank either doesn’t know his best pairing or is not convinced by all of them and is trying to make do.