The John Terry Appreciation Thread

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

You would think that the contract would say "first team player" to a "squad player" which would indicate the club are looking beyond JT. Problem is JT said he feels he's got another two years left.

I hope he doesn't let ego get in the way. He's 35, soon to be 36 in the fasted league in the world. If it is a player/coach role, it's his chance to cement himself here long term.

It is understood John Terry will have to accept a cut to his basic pay with the promise of appearance-related add-ons. [Telegraph]

It is also been made clear #Chelsea will sign a new defender and John Terry may no longer be a first-team regular next season. [Telegraph]

At 35 JT can't really think that he will be first choice and captain on his wages. The club has every right to be looking at the future, so this "different role", which is probably vastly reduced wages and a squad/coaching position, makes sense. 

Everyone knows how much he has done for the club, and it's clearly tearing him up at looking at a life without Chelsea from now on, but, sadly, it's a possibility. He probably won't accept it.

If he doesn't accept then the club cannot be blamed for not trying.

For many years he has been looked after so much that no one could earn more than him. There should be no reason why he shouldn't accept a new contract unless he's just in if for himself demanding regular playing time and a good pay packet.

Ball is in your court JT.

I'm another cynic on the timing of this...no news for months and then just before fans set to kick-off on Sunday, they make an announcement...but only a deal has been offered, not accepted...conveniently makes out club have done what they can to make JT stay and puts all pressure on him to sign...if he doesn't it's his decision to leave...significantly we don't know what he was offered...

I hope I'm wrong though cos if he stays, it's unquestionably the right decision

Totally agree Brit. Why make it so Lastminute.com?

Disrespectful, under-hand and, given our current lack of on field leaders and sense of club identity, downright negligent.

Our club is being run awfully at the moment. There isn't a single member of our administration who has a clue.

I can see both sides here, on one hand the club should give him whatever he wants money wise as we will probably never have another player like him but on the other hand if jt has been offered a lower wage and reduced playing time then shouldn't he just accept this and stay at the club he loves??

I think we can all agree that if Bruce Buck offered any of us on here 5k per week to play 3 games a year we wud all take it!!!

Stop Pissing about jt and get it signed!!!

Edited by Cfcstevens

Totally agree Brit. Why make it so Lastminute.com?

Disrespectful, under-hand and, given our current lack of on field leaders and sense of club identity, downright negligent.

Our club is being run awfully at the moment. There isn't a single member of our administration who has a clue.

I think that's just unjust just (see what i did there :))..

We really don't know what's been going on behind the scenes with Conte for example, because of one poor season the club are taking a bashing (about just about everything !) of the likes i haven't seen in over 50yrs of supporting the club.

Jeez, the club can't be blamed for everything, especially things that they don't have total control of. I do understand the frustrations this season (I'm as miffed as the next fan) but this slating the club at every opportunity is, I think getting out of hand now.

For me they still are the club I love (beyond any logical reasoning) and despite player and manager turmoils, that have been going on since i can remember they always will be.

Surely when you look around at other clubs, we really aren't run as bad as people are saying (and as far as I see only because we are having a bad season.

Only my opinion of course  ::ChELSeAFaN::  

I think that's just unjust just (see what i did there :))..

We really don't know what's been going on behind the scenes with Conte for example, because of one poor season the club are taking a bashing (about just about everything !) of the likes i haven't seen in over 50yrs of supporting the club.

Jeez, the club can't be blamed for everything, especially things that they don't have total control of. I do understand the frustrations this season (I'm as miffed as the next fan) but this slating the club at every opportunity is, I think getting out of hand now.

For me they still are the club I love (beyond any logical reasoning) and despite player and manager turmoils, that have been going on since i can remember they always will be.

Surely when you look around at other clubs, we really aren't run as bad as people are saying (and as far as I see only because we are having a bad season.

Only my opinion of course ::ChELSeAFaN::

100% agree.

It is understood John Terry will have to accept a cut to his basic pay with the promise of appearance-related add-ons. [Telegraph]

It is also been made clear #Chelsea will sign a new defender and John Terry may no longer be a first-team regular next season. [Telegraph]

Sounds entirely reasonable to me IF it's true and there aren't other big clauses.

If he doesn't accept then the club cannot be blamed for not trying.

For many years he has been looked after so much that no one could earn more than him. There should be no reason why he shouldn't accept a new contract unless he's just in if for himself demanding regular playing time and a good pay packet.

Ball is in your court JT.

?? He's not the highest earner. Hazard for a fact earns more, Costa too I believe, and maybe some others.

Media having a field day with it, complete lack of class, I'm having to hear him being ridiculed on the radio, complete opposite to the vomit inducing w*nk fest over Gerrard. English media may as well all be under the Liverpool TV banner, funny because some Scousers hate England, this country is bizzare, media full of former Liverpool players, it's like a disease......actually I'm done cheering on England, hope they go out in the group stages.

Totally agree, the media ruined my support for england about 10 years ago, as well as fa always employing a dinosaur and yes man as manager, nothing funnier than england mesing up and the media being left flat! Just wait till next week if dippers win Europa lge? God help us

Reckon we'll hear anything tomorrow? I'm sure JT is bound to get behind a camera at somepoint.

I would not be at all surprised if we hear something.  I am starting to think if he makes his announcement at the Bridge, he will be staying.  If he was leaving i reckon the statement/announcement would be on his Instagram.   Announcing he stays at the Bridge after fulltime gets a brilliant post match atmosphere going.

I seen Jermaine Jenas was asked about the contract offer.  And basically said same as majority here, it has been offered to put the ball in JT's court, so if he does leave, the decision is coming from his mouth. And it kinda gets Chelsea off the hook

Edited by RickUK

With regards to us signing a new defender, unless we sign two new centre backs then Terry will still be first choice next season. Zouma is the only defender here currently that is likely to displace JT and he will take time getting back after his long injury, so JT should be nailed on for the first few months of next season at least, alongside whichever new guy Conte brings in. 

If JT starts the season in good form then he may well be first choice all season. so no worries on the new signing coming in as long as JT keeps his form. If we sign 2 new centre backs then we're asking for trouble anyway. Very difficult to get 2 new defenders to gel together and with a new team while being expected to win and keep clean sheets every week

?? He's not the highest earner. Hazard for a fact earns more, Costa too I believe, and maybe some others.

Yeah not now he is but I know that clause did exist for several years a while back. My point is, he's financially secure for generations thanks to the club and if he truly loves Chelsea as much as he says, even one year on a fraction of what he used to earn should override a big money move to China USA etc.