The John Terry Appreciation Thread

I would like JT to stay on for next season, leadership and experience at winning are invaluable traits that

leave with him out the door if he goes, rather him/they stay at CFC so that they potentially 'rub off' onto the less

experienced players

I'll reserve judgment on the speculation of Chelsea bluffing him until the smoke clears, although my initial jubilation

at the news is now a lot less tempered, because of that and the Instagram that just got posted 

never a dull moment with Chelsea FC 

Interesting choice of words. He says it's a "contract extension" but then a "different role". If it were a non player role, it would be strange to call it an extension.

Fascinating game between JT's representatives (I don't for one second believe that JT is deciding these public statements himself) and the board.

Edited by offside

I wish people would stop bringing up that bollocks about Terry flirting with City. There was never any doubt that Terry was going to sign a new deal with us at the time, the only reason why Terry hadn't signed a new deal is because the club were taking so long to offer him one, like they did with every player at the time. As soon as a new contract was offered, Terry signed it. Lampard was in exactly the same situation once. There was talk, all coming from the media, that he could leave because he was entering the last year of his contract and nothing had been signed yet, the reason was because there was no contract offered. The club has been offering new deals at the last minute for years now, the media turns it into something different though and says the player may be looking to leave.

People should stop taking what the media says so seriously. The stories about Terry flirting with City was all coming from the media, it's what they do, we all know this by now surely.

sorry Scott but was told years ago by someone in the know that the meeting and discussion with city did take place and city kept uping his requests.

JT's Instagram has basically confirmed that he's been offered a sh*t sandwich.

This is pretty much a Cold War now.

His idea of a sh*t sandwich probably looks f**king fantastic to any one of us mere mortals though. If he cares for the club then money shouldn't be an issue. He has got china or usa to fall back on in a year anyway, and I highly doubt he's being paid just enough to pay the bills lol.

Edited by enigma

My guess is he's been offered a player/assistant coach role.

I doubt Terry would expect to start every game so can't imagine that reduced playing time is what he means by a 'different role'.

Edited by Socrates

What do people think the offer is, I'm guessing 50/60 k a week, more then 50% pay cut and if that is the case I think it's more then fair. He should have made enough money by now to have ensured his future. Terry will also be gobbled up by sky when he does retire so no problems there. The only question is does he want to go out to the US for one big pay day and an easy time of it which is fair enough as well

RLC signed a 65k a week contract and I can see JT getting more than that easily. 

His idea of a sh*t sandwich probably looks f**king fantastic to any one of us mere mortals though. If he cares for the club then money shouldn't be an issue. He has got china or usa to fall back on in a year anyway, and I highly doubt he's being paid just enough to pay the bills lol.

He's given his all for the club, if they're offering a rubbish deal to save face, why should he take it?

"If he cares for the club then money shouldn't be an issue" is an incredibly childish and unrealistic way of looking at it.

How his deal would look to us couldn't possibly be more irrelevant.

looking at the guardian and telegraph reporting of this offer, their suggestion is that the terms are reduced, but not that dramatically. what they do suggest is that conte will ask for a first choice defender to be signed and that as this new offer includes more money coming through appearance fees it is possible he might not be a first choice player (at least initially- personally I'd back him to play ahead of anyone else we have).

I guess it's going to boil down to if playing regularly or staying at Chelsea matters the most to him.

The club are starting to look at life after JT and at 35 they're right to do that.

There's nothing to say that JT couldn't preform to a high standard under Conte but I think JT would need to prove himself more than ever. Is that what he's looking for at this stage of his career?

Surely its worth him staying one more year on lower wages and a reduced role to gain a chance to bow out of chelsea in glory. 1 more year wont affect his chances of a mega deal in china/usa, but it could mean he leaves chelse with another trophy in his cabinet rather than a 9th place finish.

Different role suggests something other than just playing, i would guess a player/coach role. Pretty sure Giggs did similar at united and played a fair few games during that season too. JT can do both. I really, really hope he signs, especially after his public pressure on the club to give him SOMETHING. Be a shame for him to turn it down after all thats been said and done