The John Terry Appreciation Thread

I'm all for bringing the youngsters forward but i would still go with Terry over any of them right now. If Terry was happy with playing a similar role next season, i would be very happy for him to get another year on his contract. 

Next season we will have a lot more fixtures and i would rather see experience partnered up with youth for the odd game rather than see two younger players playing together.

Edited by Scott Harris
10 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

I'm all for bringing the youngsters forward but i would still go with Terry over any of them right now. If Terry was happy with playing a similar role next season, i would be very happy for him to get another year on his contract. 

Next season we will have a lot more fixtures and i would rather see experience partnered up with youth for the odd game rather than see two younger players playing together.

and would be worth his weight in gold in the dressing room

Terry's leadership and charisma in the dressing skill makes him an invaluable member of the squad. The logic of offering him a 1-year extension makes sense when factoring in the number of games we'll play next season in contrast to this season, and if anything, he'll be great depth for us.

I don't think the club would offer him a new contract before they're convinced he can maintain the excellent standards he's set over the years as we enter the final three months of the season. If he can replicate the performance he showed against Wolves in the coming months, then I'll be inclined to keep him on if he wants to say.

However in saying that, the club is trying to phase him out of the squad slowly and with age being the biggest factor going against him I suspect he'll be the first defender that we'll be looking to offload before anyone else.

Some have suggested that Zouma may be sold in the summer, but I think that would be very premature on our behalf considering the long-term recovery he's had to deal with after an ACL injury, and it's clear a lack of pre-season preparation has hindered him this season.

I don't expect much from him this season, so I think reasonably, expectations have been tempered accordingly with him until next season if he stays on.

Edited by Jezz
  • 1 month later...
1 minute ago, RIP Mourinho said:

200k a week to sit on the bench. Waste of the wage bill that could be given to a player worthy of starting. Just give him a coaching job so he's still around. 

Some of the reports are that he's taking another pay cut. I'm more than happy for him stay on as a coach but I think it's time for someone younger to take his place in the First Team Squad.

10 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

100k a week to sit on the bench. Waste of the wage bill that could be given to a player worthy of starting. Just give him a coaching job so he's still around. 

The last time we lost leaders in the dressing room (Cech & Drogba), the whole team fell apart. Not saying that's the reason but it definietly helps to have leaders.

Won't be 200k a week either, no chance.

59 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

100k a week to sit on the bench. Waste of the wage bill that could be given to a player worthy of starting. Just give him a coaching job so he's still around. 

Thats not all he does though is it, he has been the driving force behind our teams for a decade or so now, and in my opinion I dont think we have anyone else like that in our current squad, perhaps with the exception of David Luiz.

2 hours ago, Bobbywoodhogan said:

If he is then great news, the importance of keeping people like him around is huge to the team. The 15-16 season proved that with us losing Drogba and Cech.

Although i agree with the sentiment what happened last season was so deep rooted not even Didier's dressing room influence would have prevented it, in many ways the crisis started while both were still around.

3 hours ago, Argo said:

Although i agree with the sentiment what happened last season was so deep rooted not even Didier's dressing room influence would have prevented it, in many ways the crisis started while both were still around.

Interesting point. Although I can see how senior players (or perhaps not even senior, but "influential", not wanting to use the word  haracter :wink:) can mould or spur on a team, I often  think their jnfluence is overrated. Most of our players have played for big clubs in other countries, and depending on their personality can take younger players under their wing. Would JT be the only player left with that kind of leadership? Yes, he is Chelsea through and through, but do we really need him to stick around by pining away on the bench?

And do we know he is even interested in a coaching role? That different role he was supposed to fulfil this season, is not very clear to me even now...

Edited by Valerie
22 hours ago, Argo said:

Probably right but I think there may have been games where we'd have picked up more pts with leaders around. Although I can't say for sure.

On 3/31/2017 at 14:50, dkw said:

Thats not all he does though is it, he has been the driving force behind our teams for a decade or so now, and in my opinion I dont think we have anyone else like that in our current squad, perhaps with the exception of David Luiz.

Anything he does now he can do from a coaching role. He doesn't suit a back three so i don't see why he should be given a playing contract. 

• 2 weeks later...