The John Terry Appreciation Thread

ForeverCarefree

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't seen him play live for a while until yesterday and he is as good as he ever was. His positional sense and organisation of the line is the best I have ever seen. Yesterday on three separate occasions the ball came to him at pace and he just cushion volleyed it to the feet of the Chelsea player who was in the best position of those near him. And of course he can mix it like the proper centre half he is. 

Without doubt the best centre half of the Premier League era.

This is pretty cool. He's kept every single Captain's armband he's ever worn:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2818581/Which-Premier-League-captain-amassed-large-collection-armbands.html

I think it's hilarious that they felt the need to put (right) in brackets after JT's name - just in case any Daily Mail reader confused JT with DD!

Edited by moi

It will be amazing if something comes out of this. The fact that the opinion of a fan can be heard in some way by a massive, relatively non-transparent entity (Chelsea FC) is very encouraging. This hasn't happened yet but if it does, then kudos to JT for facilitating it. I think the perfect analogy is a citizen trying to get himself heard by a non-transparent (and often corrupt) political power. The individual is incredibly helpless and the helplessness is very stifling. There is nothing better than a system where this individual can feel powerful again.

@Uno - Unrelated but just wanted to let you know that tigers and sheep (their wild ancestors or domestic ones) almost never interact (or have never interacted historically) in the natural world. I get the point but the saying is fundamentally flawed :smile:

As JT's career comes to an end (not sure when, but certainly within the next few years) I hope that the club and he are working on a role for him within our set up.  Coaching, getting his badges, club ambassador (although given his less that favourable light in the media this could be tricky). something could be done.

If the plans to redesign Stamford Bridge are indeed true, and we're looking to possibly develop an all Chelsea end, cheaper seats for U22's, safe standing...who knows...but it'd be nice if JT was integral in making something happen to provide true Chelsea fans with a platform to create a better atmosphere in the future.

You'd hope so, but then I thought Lampard would retire here and then become a coach.

Yes, that would have been nice, but I always felt that Frank would go elsewhere to continue playing (I even said the MLS about a year ago)...just never saw the whole City affair happening

With JT though, I feel it's different.  You always hear and see him talking about the club as a whole.  The latest with him replying to a bloke on Instagram highlights that he is tied into the club more-so than Lampard ever was. 

What a legend John Terry is for contacting that 18 year old kid about his concerns regarding the atmosphere at Stamford Bridge. I really hope that the club does address the atmosphere issues and does make the necessary changes to make Stamford Bridge a loud and vibrant place to be.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the crowd go up a notch in loudness in our next home game but I can't see any changes regarding seating arrangement for away supporters or an active area until the start of next season at the very least. 

• 1 month later...

Great great defender but unfortunately will never get the credit he deserves. It's a case of 'you made your bed, you lie in it'. His misdemenours on and off the pitch has cost him the respect of so many rival fans which is a terrible shame. 

Oh well best thing he can do is win the title and shove another medal in their faces.

Great great defender but unfortunately will never get the credit he deserves. It's a case of 'you made your bed, you lie in it'. His misdemenours on and off the pitch has cost him the respect of so many rival fans which is a terrible shame. 

What on pitch misdemeanors would these be? 

Don't tell me the Loftus Road incident... The one where the law of the land said he's innocent but a kangaroo court making it up as they went along said otherwise? 

Off the pitch? Alleged affair that was denied by all parties involved? Got drunk one evening after 9/11? 

He's the media's pantomime villain and it's strange that he's been targeted by our nations media.

Look at the current England captain, he's known to have cheated on his wife with prostitutes, at one time whilst his wife was pregnant and yet he was still deemed fit to captain his country... No hypocrisy there when JT was stripped of the captaincy, oh no. 

Ryan Giggs? 8 year affair with his sister in law, yet we barely hear a peep about that in among the "Premier League legend" stuff. 

I'm not saying that JT is a shining example but I've always been baffled by the treatment he gets from the media and opposition fans alike considering he is no worse than many others within the sport.