FA Looking at Changes to League Structure

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Thought this would be the best place to post this. Apologies if already posted elswhere

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27289819

A new competition for Premier League and Championship clubs to field B teams will be considered by the Football Association on Wednesday.

It has been proposed that the teams could play in a league sandwiched between League Two and the Conference.

Another option is to merge League Two and the Conference with the B teams to form two regional leagues.

The proposals are part of FA chairman Greg Dyke's commission on the future of the national team.

It is understood that the Premier League and Football League clubs are broadly in favour of the B team concept, which would be predominantly made up of homegrown players, but have reservations about how it might fit into the pyramid and the knock-on effects to other leagues and competitions.

One question is whether current League Two clubs would be relegated into the Conference or the new B team league if they went down. The other difficult issue is how far could B teams be promoted?

Despite those worries, one source told the BBC that following more than 300 interviews with clubs and other stakeholders in the game, led by research consultant Peter Beverley, there was a universal acceptance that a major overhaul was needed to ensure big clubs' reserve teams and younger English talent were being given more regular, competitive football.

Commission members point to the fact that clubs in Spain, France and Germany all play B teams in competitive leagues - thought to be a big factor in those countries developing talent.

Dyke is believed to be keen to open the debate about the state of the national game ahead of the World Cup finals in Brazil which kick off on 12 June.

There is a determination to get on the front foot ahead of the tournament to pre-empt the inevitable debate which will follow if Roy Hodgson's England team put in a disappointing performance in Brazil.

Ironically the emergence of players like Raheem Sterling at Liverpool and Adam Lallana at Southampton have taken some of the heat out of that debate in recent months.

And some senior figures inside the FA are urging Dyke to hold fire until after the competition and until all the finer details of the commission's proposals are ironed out.

The Dyke commission was set up last autumn to try and address ongoing concerns about the strength of the English national team and the lack of top-class English talent forcing its way through into Premier League first teams.

The commission, which includes former England manager Glenn Hoddle, former Leeds boss Howard Wilkinson and ex-Crewe manager Dario Gradi, is aiming to deal with two major questions - the pathway for players aged between 17 and 21 and grassroots facilities.

While it is thought the commission has done extensive work on the first question, the issue of grassroots football is not yet complete.

Other proposals expected to go before the FA board on Wednesday include a shake-up of the loan system and changes to the homegrown player quotas operated by Premier League and Football League clubs.

But it is the B team proposal that promises to be the most controversial

Not sure if it is a good idea. As the article says, what about relegation. Don't think players and fans in the lower league clubs will like it,

Im not sure itll affect lower clubs too much, In reality there will only be maybe 8 clubs looking at the prospect, as long as the B team sits at a decent level I dont see an Issue. Id also throw in a sweetner. No TV Money for the B team participant, possibly even allow the visiting teams full profits for all home games. That way the motivation for the B team is purely player development and actually the TV money is shared among the FL clubs as it is now.

This will ruin the league system.

Only the FA and other footballing bodies are incompetent enough to think of such an idea. 

'But it's what they do in Spain and Germany'. Newsflash Mr. Dyke, we are not Spain or Germany and as such should be looking for our own solutions, not just copying what's in vogue.

Awful awful idea. Would ruin football in our country. Non league football and Lower league football in our country is brilliant (sometimes as Chelsea supporters we might be ignorant to this - as with most Premier league fans) I love going to see Watford/Brentford/AFC Wimbledon/ Hampton and Richmond play I don't care if Man City want a B team. This would further ruin our game at grassroots level

I think the benefits of having a B Team, who regularly train with and are in constant contact with our A team would benefit US massively;

-Ingraining a philosophy throughout our teams,

-We have a vested interest in those players, much better than sending them to VItesse and other clubs to play at a similar level but without the interest in their long term future.

-Regular play. we wouldnt send McEachran to Middlesborough and see him sit on the bench for half a season.

-The Reserve league isnt competetive enough.

Negatives for OTHER Clubs

-League clubs rely on the loan system, would we be interested in loaning them anymore?

-FL youth teams would be barren waste lands, why play for Colchester reserves when Chelsea reserves play at the same level but you have a better chance of playing at a higher level?

-Stock piling of players would increase, we could now play a squad of 50 players AND loan out our current amount of players.

Rules I think should be included if it goes ahead;

-There would have to be a stipulation of no over 23 players in the squad and a limit of 25 named players for the season, who are ineligible for the first team.

-Movement between teams could only be done during transfer windows.

-Loan players should have to be limited to over that age and maybe 3-4 players out per club in the 18-23 bracket.

-No players under YTS contracts, so over 18, they are free to play but not part of the 25 Man squad.

-A stipulation of no TV money for the B teams.

-No gate profits for those teams, all home profits from games involving B teams should be spread equally as TV money is throughout the league system. This should be about player development not making the rich richer.

Personally I dont care too much about the other 91 League clubs, for me a more concentrated, competetive system would be better. Fewer clubs, higher concentration of top coaches in those clubs would be better. Although thats talking as a Chelsea "Top 4" PL fan and im sure league 1 and 2 fans may think a little differently. Saying that though I certainly wouldnt want clubs with years of history being wiped out because a few rich clubs wanted a second team. It would have to be implemented with the current FL clubs futures in mind rather than the myopic concentration on the  Ingerlund team.

Edited by Shotgun883

Wouldn't this basically spell the end of loan deals for young players? I don't know about the rest of you but I feel like my Football Manager career might be over if this gets implemented...

I've no doubt that the proposal would benefit a handful of big clubs (us as much as anyone), but it would harm everyone else. The FA have presented this as being a benefit to the national team but I'm not convinced it would make enough of a difference (if any) to justify the damage it would do to the English football league on the whole. This country is unique in that we have many tiers of well supported, competitive teams and it would be idiotic of the FA to interfere with that by allowing a system that will only help to increase the gap between the 'elite' clubs and everyone else. I don't believe the FA give a f**k about the majority of football fans, money talks though and if us, City, etc. are calling for it then I can see them just going ahead and doing it anyway while pretending it's for the greater good.

I've no doubt that the proposal would benefit a handful of big clubs (us as much as anyone), but it would harm everyone else. The FA have presented this as being a benefit to the national team but I'm not convinced it would make enough of a difference (if any) to justify the damage it would do to the English football league on the whole. This country is unique in that we have many tiers of well supported, competitive teams and it would be idiotic of the FA to interfere with that by allowing a system that will only help to increase the gap between the 'elite' clubs and everyone else. I don't believe the FA give a f**k about the majority of football fans, money talks though and if us, City, etc. are calling for it then I can see them just going ahead and doing it anyway while pretending it's for the greater good.

I like the system BUT I think the ideal situation is making Acadamies in the lower reaches of the FL a more competetive option for younger players to choose to develop and enable to options to move up the ladder later to be more clear. ATM the moment Chelsea or another PL side go in for a young player, see Southampton a few years ago, the club are powerless to allow the players to go, and they DO go almost immediately.

I would like to see more mature decision making from these players and have THEM say, NO, Southampton are the better option for MY development. I have no idea how to change this mentality from players, maybe its increase academy funding to allow them to compete on wages but what we dont want to see is Sinclair, Rodwell, Sidwell and many other choosing to rot in the reserves of City and Chelsea instead of having fulfilling footballing careers.

Potentially its about limiting the Clubs squads all the way down the tree, making big clubs choose more wisely who they decide to bring into their squad, filtering the talent down the FL rather than being pooled in the top 8. Yes we can only have a PL squad of 25  but we can have 1000 players twiddling their thumbs incase one or two become decent. I would hope this would be a key cornerstone of the B Team Idea.

I think this has been coming for a while and is something the bigger clubs would love. For the lower league clubs I think its difficult to see if it would be bad or good. The Good could be a rise in attendance's when they play say our b team with 4 or 5 first squad players in. It could even be that a lower league club in financial trouble (and there's a hell of a lot of them) become that b team. The big down side is would fans still go to these games and what could happen to the lower league journeymen players. Also how would sponsors see this, would it get them more or less for their money?

Edited by dkw

If anyone was on the fence they only need to listen to Greg Dyke's interview on talksport, the guy couldn't give a sh*t about any club not in the PL. He could barely contain his disdain for the Football league. Absolute parasite, how he managed to become chairman is beyond me. 

Don't understand. They want to improve and increase the quality of English players - by sending them to play in a league just above the conference?

You can tell the FA are involved. Bunch of..

So many reasons why this is a terrible idea. They have done this in Spain and Germany but doesn't mean it is good. With B games most on same day as A team is playing you end up with no supporters for one team at these matches. So that ends up being significant lost revenue for other teams in these leagues.

What happens if one of the 10 A teams gets relegated? Does their B team get replaced by another team?

At the very least this idea is totally disrespectful to teams in lower divisions and I hope we have no part of it.

I think this has been coming for a while and is something the bigger clubs would love. For the lower league clubs I think its difficult to see if it would be bad or good. The Good could be a rise in attendance's when they play say our b team with 4 or 5 first squad players in. It could even be that a lower league club in financial trouble (and there's a hell of a lot of them) become that b team. The big down side is would fans still go to these games and what could happen to the lower league journeymen players. Also how would sponsors see this, would it get them more or less for their money?

That is what I thought initially but the stats from Spain and Germany suggest the opposite. The B teams tend to have next to no fans cheering them on as their games clash with the parent teams.

So the home matches are played in empty stadia, and the away matches have next to no travelling fans.

• 4 weeks later...

Possible changes to the League to be discussed by Football League Clubs at their AGM. Note they are going to Portugal for the AGM. Obviously nowhere available in England  Must have money to burn.

Jump media player

Changes key to stop decline - Dyke

"It's a bit dangerous for us to change our whole league structure and effect the integrity and independence of our league based on the the success of a few years for the Spanish national team."

Only 32% of starters in last season's top flight qualified to play for England, compared to 69% 20 years ago.

The FA commission set up to address the problem also called for a ban on non-European Union players outside of the top flight, the development of "strategic loan partnerships" between clubs, as well as a reduction in players in Premier League squads who were not home-grown.

"I do worry," added Catlin. "The Football League is a democracy and you have to go with what the democracy wants but I will be arguing strongly against the introduction of B-teams into our league or cup structure. It's an extremely dangerous route to go down."

Other League One and Two clubs have been critical, with Peterborough chairman Darragh MacAnthony previously saying the proposal "can't be allowed to happen".

Among other things that will be discussed at the AGM are the use of artificial '3G' pitches , while the Football League will also present an alternative proposal to Dyke's plan to incorporate Premier League B teams in an expanded Johnstone's Paint Trophy to include a group stage.