How to pronounce Eden Hazard?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I hear Ee-den, Eh-den and Ay-den, and then Hah-zard and Ah-zar. How is it supposed to be pronounced?

And why do people pronounce Jose Mourinho with no silent J? It's supposed to be pronounced Ho-zay, or is it different with Portugese people?

Edited by Shade8780

I hear Ee-den, Eh-den and Ay-den, and then Hah-zard and Ah-zar. How is it supposed to be pronounced?

And why do people pronounce Jose Mourinho with no silent J? It's supposed to be pronounced Ho-zay, or is it different with Portugese people?

Ho-zay is spanish. you pronounce a bit of a Jsh sort of sound for Portuguese. (its quite hard to spell out the sound, but you get what i mean) its not Joe-say, and its not ho-zay!

Eh-denn Ah-zar with "typical French R" on the end?

For Mourinho's name - the closest to Portuguese J would be probably how you pronounce "s" in "measure", and also the final e is short with emphasis on it, not Jo-zay how British commentators pronounce it. And certainly not the Spanish way (though Spaniards will say Ho-se anyway or at best get some weird mix between J and H if they really try but that's because there is no sound like Portuguese J in Spanish language).

Edited by darrus

I pronounce it as Eden Hazzard

Your report says:  bluedave tries hard in oral work, but struggles to get his tongue round difficult words.

Your report says:  bluedave tries hard in oral work, but struggles to get his tongue round difficult words.

What I lack in finesse I make up for in enthusiasm. I mentally pronounce your name as "moye" by the way, as in the singular of Moyes.

Edited by bluedave

Eh-denn Ah-zar with "typical French R" on the end?

For Mourinho's name - the closest to Portuguese J would be probably how you pronounce "s" in "measure", and also the final e is short with emphasis on it, not Jo-zay how British commentators pronounce it. And certainly not the Spanish way (though Spaniards will say Ho-se anyway or at best get some weird mix between J and H if they really try but that's because there is no sound like Portuguese J in Spanish language).

Yeah the r which sounds a bit like a light 'h' with it. 

What I lack in finesse I make up for in enthusiasm. I mentally pronounce your name as "moye" by the way, as in the singular of Moyes.

No! No!! No!!!  It's Mwah, as in X