Phone Apps

I don't really use many phone apps - I have a few tried and tested but have never really got into them in a big way - I like my football one which keeps me up to date with scores, a real ale one (which I haven't used much yet but have looked up which pubs nearby are listed!) and a few others.  But having seen Valerie talking about a packing app*, I'm curious as to which apps other people find useful, fun, or otherwise worth having.

*I've always used a piece of paper - or sometimes a list stored on my laptop!

TV guide, banking, weather, Trip Advisor to the next city I'll be visiting plus apps for its public transport, currency converter, Amazon Kindle, oh and Chelsea FC :-)

BTW that Packing List (lite) app is wonderful for somebody like me, who keeps losing paper lists...

Oh I forgot about TV guide - I have got that too.  Have kindle on my.......kindle..... Have never used banking on my phone but may consider it.  Weather, tend not to bother although my phone tells me temperature and weather - I just tend to look out the window!  Did have Chelsea on my last phone but had to uninstall due to lack of space - how could I have forgotten to reinstall it?!

Will look at your packing list Val - maybe useful.  And DKW have gone for our of milk too - though I've only just got my family to remember to put things on the paper list in our kitchen!

Ignoring the obvious google apps like gmail, maps, etc., the ones I find most useful include:

Evernote: I mainly use this for shopping lists, recipes etc but it's very flexible. There's a browser plugin that you can use on your main computer to 'clip' webpages to view in evernote later, which is really useful.

Tapatalk: Very convenient way to browse and post on internet forums, most of my posts on The Shed End are made via Tapatalk.

Twicca: Nice looking client for checking the twitter feed.

Yelp: I love this, great when you're in an unfamiliar city and need to find somewhere nearby to get beer/food/petrol or just see the sights. The user reviews are very helpful.

Tripit: Another great one for traveling. Whenever you get email receipts for flights, hotel bookings, car hire or whatever you just forward the emails to tripit and the app extracts all the important details like flight number, departure gate, hotel address into one itinerary for easy reference with maps, news updates (delays, etc.).

Jefit: Probably the best workout app if you're into that sort of thing. Build and keep track of exercise routines, it even has little animations showing all the different ways to use workout equipment so you don't make an idiot out of yourself at the gym.

FotMob: Nice app to keep track of football results,fixtures, league tables etc.

I tried the Out of Milk one too, but I couldn't figure out how to arrange the shoppings under categories like Supermarket or Pharmacy, so I went for Buy List instead.

Most of my apps are on my tablet, and only a few on my phone due to limited memory space.

Ignoring the obvious google apps like gmail, maps, etc., the ones I find most useful include:

Evernote: I mainly use this for shopping lists, recipes etc but it's very flexible. There's a browser plugin that you can use on your main computer to 'clip' webpages to view in evernote later, which is really useful.

Tapatalk: Very convenient way to browse and post on internet forums, most of my posts on The Shed End are made via Tapatalk.

Twicca: Nice looking client for checking the twitter feed.

Yelp: I love this, great when you're in an unfamiliar city and need to find somewhere nearby to get beer/food/petrol or just see the sights. The user reviews are very helpful.

Tripit: Another great one for traveling. Whenever you get email receipts for flights, hotel bookings, car hire or whatever you just forward the emails to tripit and the app extracts all the important details like flight number, departure gate, hotel address into one itinerary for easy reference with maps, news updates (delays, etc.).

Jefit: Probably the best workout app if you're into that sort of thing. Build and keep track of exercise routines, it even has little animations showing all the different ways to use workout equipment so you don't make an idiot out of yourself at the gym.

FotMob: Nice app to keep track of football results,fixtures, league tables etc.

Ooh, ooh - that's the one I use!  I must be doing something right!  The rest sound good.  Will definitely try these.

Banking apps - makes life so simple

Whats App - A brilliant way to communicate with friends and family - group conversations - simple! - Essential - They are replacing text messaging

Tapatalk - good for this forum - mobile layouts etc, really easy to keep track of who has replied to you, quoted you etc. - Essential

Ebay

Amazon

Instagram - cool photos

Twitter - breaking news etc

IMDB - internet movie database - good for looking up reviews to see if a movie or tv show is worth watching. New movie trailers etc

Shazam - if you hear a song you like but dont know what it is, this app will listen to it and tell you straight away

The Natwest mobile app is better than the full site version for me, much easier and faster to use. 

I use a lot of apps as shortcuts such as IMDB (the amount of times I want to look up who an actor is or how good a film is means it's handy for me).

Facebook, Facebook messenger and Twitter are all quick access as well. 

Whatsapp is a must because it's the cheapest way to send picture messages. 

Kindle app allows me and the wife to share the same Amazon account and have the same books on one account across multiple devices. 

Netflix, I often let me boy use this for watching stuff when me and the wife are watching TV. 

Just Eat... Have it at hand for the inevitable lazy feeling and wanting to order take out.

And of course a couple of games for when you want to pass time when sitting having a poo (Cookie clicker is surprisingly addictive) 

I have the usual favourites:

• WhatsApp - It's becoming essential, everyone is on it.
  • Facebook / Facebook Messenger - Self explanatory.
  • Snapchat - For pointless photos to my friends.
  • Youtube.
  • Santander app - for mobile banking.
  • Shazam.

Plus a few others:

• IFTTT - Great little app. It stands for 'If This, Then That'. It links apps together for an effect. For example, I have IFTTT set up so when the weather app detects rain being forecast, it sends me a notification.
  • Moves - Tracking app, for curiosity. It counts the number of steps you take plus transportation, etc. It's a little controversial, as it's own by Facebook and the data is shared with the company. I don't particularly care, Facebook are welcome to learn of my boring, mundane life of travelling to work five days a week. It can kill your battery though.
  • Blek - Fun little game, recommended!
  • Buzzfeed / The Times - For my daily news intake.
  • Starbucks - Yep, I'm a coffee addict so I gladly take the rewards.
  • Citymapper - Great app for London if you're a clueless tourist like me. Tells you tube routes, bus times etc.
  • TomTom - Why pay £120 for a unit when you can pay £40 for the app on your phone?!
  • HA Traffic - Tells you traffic jams and roadworks on the major roads across the UK.
  • Google Maps - Vital!
  • National Rail - For train times.
  • Dictionary - self explanatory.
  • Remote - Syncs with your iTunes collection so you can select the song on your PC from your phone.
  • Kindle.
  • Wolfram Alpha.
  • NHS Health & Symptom checker - For all your hypochondriacal needs.
  • Just Eat
  • Living Earth - A kinda cool but ultimately pointless app.
  • Announcer - Know the guy who voices the X Factor? This is his app where you can customise the words he speaks.
  • Ask the Hoff - Don't ask...
  • Figure - An app for music production geeks like me. Not very expansive but it's very easy to make a pretty cool tune.

My top ones are

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

Whatsapp

Kindle - its good because it links between my phone, ipad and kindle so where ever i read something it updates to the other device.

My fitness pal. good for diets

Paddy power.

The weather channel- best weather app.

Google maps. I dont understand why people pay for sat navs anymore.

Flixster - good for movie listings and ratings

Cartoon HD - i dont think you can get this app anymore.

Sky+ - great for controlling your sky box at home.

Pebble - controls my pebble watch.

Words with friends - if anyone wants a game then let me know.

Quiz up - if anyone wants a game then let me know.

Retro Arch - this is a jailbreak app which lets me play all old snes, gameboy and megadrive games.

Dragon City- is a game my brother wanted me to play. I bet he regrets it now because i whoop his arse daily!

Run, Zombie run - its a fitness app. When you are running its plays a story and makes it seem like Zombies are chasing you. It makes running a bit more interesting.

I don't use it either - but my daughter and her friends love it. 

Yep - we're getting old.  Move your zimmer frame over Uno, I need to sit down.

Edit - hadn't seen your second reply - why would I send him a photo when he can see me in the flesh by looking over the top of his beer glass?

I don't use it either - but my daughter and her friends love it.

Yep - we're getting old. Move your zimmer frame over Uno, I need to sit down.

Edit - hadn't seen your second reply - why would I send him a photo when he can see me in the flesh by looking over the top of his beer glass?

Ok but dont sit on my false teeth.

Maybe you would be trying to spice things up a bit and send him some saucey photos letting him know what he is in for when he gets home?

Archived