Filipe Luis to Chelsea... and Back Again.

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Officially gone

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2015/07/filipe-luis-returns-to-atletico.html

Chelsea Football Club has today agreed terms with Atletico Madrid for the permanent transfer of Filipe Luis.

The Brazilian returns to the Spanish club after a year with the Blues in which he helped us to both Barclays Premier League and Capital One Cup successes.

Filipe Luis arrived in London as a Spanish league champion alongside fellow former Atletico man Diego Costa and made his debut as a substitute in our 6-3 win against Everton at the end of August.

The 29-year-old’s first start came against Schalke in the Champions League, and he netted his one Chelsea goal from a free-kick in our Capital One Cup win at Derby.

In total Filipe Luis played 26 times for Chelsea. We wish him all the best for the future.

He was a good player, I won't say he was bad because in my opinion it's impossible to replace Azpi. Even if we will sign David Alaba, he won't replace Azpi. I wish him the best in Atletico Madrid, I'm sure he will return to his form and will make it in a best way, good luck Felipe Luis!

Loving the updated thread title. 

For what it's worth, I couldn't care less that he's gone. 

Was a strange signing for us from day one and now looks like a bit of a rushed deal to ensure there was cover for the departing Bertrand. 

Considering he was always going to be behind Dave it didn't make sense that we spent so much (wages included) on a back up player. 

Apparently we've got £15m from the resale so no harm done in the end but it highlights the problem with signing players over 25 in that often they have no resale value. 

We got away with this one but it does show why signing the likes of Oscar, Hazard, Zouma and even Salah is beneficial. 

Sometimes you need that bit of experience (see Fabregas) but for the role Luis is asked to play it felt wasteful. 

Waste of a signing, waste of a good player. People will sing praises about the club but this is amongst our worst buys. I mean seriously, what was the point?

I think the club thought that with Ashley Cole leaving, they needed an experienced and high quality left back to replace him.

I felt it was excessive given that Dave was our first choice left back but could understand they wanted adequate cover.

The transfer that should never of been. Mind you, had Dave or Ivan got a serious injury we'd of been praising the heavens for the transfer but he never impressed because the form and fitness of those two meant he never needed to or got the chance, really.

To me it's a mini version of the Cech situation minus the legend aspect. Very good player but not going to be our mainstay at the position and they possess to much talent and ambition to be happy as a mere squad player.

Wish him the best of success when not playing us and I suspect hell be back to his previous Atleti form in no time. His eventual success/form might be used by some to bash the club and/or manager but it's not a "he didn't work here" situation but rather a case of he wasn't getting what he wanted/needed and would be getting at almost any other club...playing time.

Edited by Barry Bridges

• 2 weeks later...

All the best to Luis on his return to Spain!

He was a very good player and left-back but unfortunately for him Azpilicueta was just a little better than him when it mattered most. In reality, I think John Terry's rejuvenation and new lease on his footballing career hurt his first team chances overall.

However I always liked Filipe regardless and hopefully he does well back in Spain! Pity it didn't work out for either party but we received a good fee in return in my opinion.

I think John Terry's rejuvenation and new lease on his footballing career hurt his first team chances.

Not trying to mug you off, genuinely interested by this thought. On paper Terry's Indian summer shouldn't have really affected Luis' playing time. I guess if Terry played less and we had Ivanovic covering as CB it would have shuffled the order up a bit. Is that what you were getting at?

Edited by MissouriBlue