Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

andy

All time Worldcup XI

Shamlessly pinched from the BBC website.

I love the world cup and have my Panini albums going back years. I had to do a lot of soul searching for this and few players outside of my era..... and some that nearly made the cut (Gazza, Matthaus from Italy 90 for example, a brilliant world) Zico and Ardilies Cryuff etc etc anyway here goes, not necesserily in their positions  other than defence midfield and attack.

Banks

Beckenbauer Moore Baresi Maldini

Socrates Iniesta Platini

Ronaldo (the real one) Maradona Pele 

Okay my team was as follows: 

Zoff,

Baresi, Maldini, Gentile, Beckenbauer,

Platini, Zico, Socrates,

Gerd Muller, Cruyff and Pele

Not a bad side. Even if it could probably be quite attack minded at times.

Yashin

Carlos Alberto --- Beckenbauer --- Maldini ---- Roberto Carlos

Matthaus

Zico ------------------- Cryuff

Garrincha -------------------------------------------------------------- Eusebio

Ronaldo

Bench:

Banks

Baresi

Zidane

Makelele

Rosenbrink

Socrates

Maradona

..............................Buffon

Cafu...... Cannavaro--Beckenbeaur...... Maldini

........Jairzinho.............Zidanne...........Cruyff

Maradonna,.................................pele 

........................Ronaldo (Bra)

Subs  Müller

Moore

zico

Romario

Yashin

Carlos Alberto --- Beckenbauer --- Maldini ---- Roberto Carlos

Matthaus

Zico ------------------- Cryuff

Garrincha -------------------------------------------------------------- Eusebio

Ronaldo

Bench:

Banks

Baresi

Zidane

Makelele

Rosenbrink

Socrates

Maradona

No pele ? Garricha on my subs bench

I'm Not sure why maldini is there to be honest.

If it's a world cup 11 then shouldn't it be based On world cup performances. What has maldini achieved in the world cup?

I'm Not sure why maldini is there to be honest.

If it's a world cup 11 then shouldn't it be based On world cup performances. What has maldini achieved in the world cup?

He played in 4 world vu

Pressed post too early

He played in 4 world cups making his debut in Italia 90. He sadly got out jumped by a South Korean player in the 2002 WC in the quarters but the whole match was a disgraceful reffong performance. I think in USA 94 he was great and Italy reached the final only to lose on penalties to Brazil.

So no he never won it however a left back I would have in any team

Pressed post too early

He played in 4 world cups making his debut in Italia 90. He sadly got out jumped by a South Korean player in the 2002 WC in the quarters but the whole match was a disgraceful reffong performance. I think in USA 94 he was great and Italy reached the final only to lose on penalties to Brazil.

So no he never won it however a left back I would have in any team

I'd probably have Roberto Carlos pipping him..

For My team I'd always take Paulo but based On the world cup thing I'd have to go Carlos

I think when you talk about defenders you have to think of their contribution to the team.

If the criteria was world cup success (I am not some sort of nerdy world cup encyclopedia type I looked this up by the way) Then Paul Breitner for Germany won The World Cup in 74 and scored the opener in the final. He scored again in the 82 Final however Germany lost to Italy.

Other notable left backs Nilton Santos 1958-62, Facchetti 1970 both of which I don’t really know much about, too young

Brehme of course scored in Italia 1990 final and Lizarazu I think was great world cup winner of course with France.

I think I am sticking with Maldini he is still standing out for me despite not winning the thing. A lot of people thought he could have still gone to the 2006 world cup however he retired and of course Italy won.

Based on what though? That free kick aside, Roberto Carlos' s efforts in actual World Cups have been poor compared to his teammates.

He's won one world cup and runner up in another, not bad going? So in essence he has been part of a world cup winning defence and who where also runner up in 98. He was also in the Brazil team in 1992 but I don't believe he went to the 94 world cup.

I don't think you can say he's been poor. He was always great to watch.

let me re-state. Maldini is quite possibly the best leftback of all time and arguably one of the best defenders. Pretty sure he was a great centre back as well

However In terms of WC in my life time, I give Carlos the edge, I guess the winner medal is the reason

Based on players I have watched

Buffon

Cafu, Cannavaro, Desailly, Carlos

Pirlo, Zidane

Ronaldihno, Sneijder, Iniesta

Ronaldo

Great teams by all.. difficult isn't it ? When you think of the players you leave out

Agreed SP . Muller was a difficult one to leave out. I am surprised also that not many Italian forwards like Rossi and Baggio (although that penatly miss cost him his moment of greatness I supose) but considering their record in world cups I supose that has something to do with their style of play.

Buffon

Lahm - Cannavaro - Desailly - Maldini

Figo - Xavi - Zidane - Iniesta 

Bergkamp - Ronaldo

(Brazilian) 

My team is picked with players I've seen play, my first World Cup was 1998 when I was 13 years old anything before then I didn't watch it.... It was Euro 96 that sparked my interest for football. 

No pele ? Garricha on my subs bench

Not a huge fan of Pele, to be honest.

Feel guilty for leaving out Muller. Here's another attempt with my favorite formation

Yashin

Desailly --- Beckenbauer ---- Maldini

Moore

Matthaus ------------------------------ Cryuff

Garrincha ------------------------------------------Puskas--------------------------------------- Eusebio

Muller

Bench:

Banks

Breitner

Baresi

Carlos Alberto

Deschamps

Zidane

Zico

Charlton

Maradona

Fontaine