Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gem

World Cup 2014 - Match Day Two

Mexico v Cameroon , 5pm KO

Spain v Netherlands, 8pm KO

Chile v Australia, 11pm KO

Thoughts? Clearly one stand out game there, looking forward to seeing our boys in action for Spain.

I'm going for a Mexico, Spain and Chile win - no bore draws please!

I am looking forward to the big game obviously to see how our boys do for Spain. I am also interested to see how Chile and Cameroon will do as they have some decent players..

Mexico, Spain and Chile all to win today.

I'll probably Spain match match as it might be the most entertaining and of course there are a couple of Chelsea boys in the squad, I'm interested to see if they are looking better than Brazil did last night. Quite intrigued what their starting line up is going to be as well, will they start with a false 9 or line up with a traditional forward.

Fingers crossed for Dave to start as well.

I love Dave.  

Why do African teams always fall out over bonuses? I understand in the 70s or 80s when a lot of the players played domestically. Now most are in Europe and on very good money, it's just absurd.

Seeing how this game has begun, Cameroon have lost the game already.

If Holland can be a team under Van Gaal then they can challenge Spain. Hopefully it'll be one of the matches of the tournament.

Soldiergirl: what sort of profile does the World Cup have in the US please?

If Holland can be a team under Van Gaal then they can challenge Spain. Hopefully it'll be one of the matches of the tournament.

Soldiergirl: what sort of profile does the World Cup have in the US please?

Interesting. They got as far as the semis in 1916, when they got knocked out by Argentina,  They then were terrible either due to just plain sucking  or having a bad group. Last time, though, they had their best run when they advanced to the knockout stages. They're in their best form ever, thanks to the guidance of Jurgen Klinsman and the great bunch of players they've had (Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley, Tim Howard, etc).  This is basically their "Golden Generation".

Soldiergirl, you're in luck...

I drew the USA in my work's sweepstake so you're gonna win. Congratulations!

That would be nice. I'm a little nervous because of our group.

Excellent result, I'm 2 for 2 in my office pool. Predicted the 2 wins, unfortunately with the exact score. If Spain will be so kind as to beat the Netherlands, preferably 3-1, I'm pleased. And yes, my own results are much, much more important than my country's :-)