Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ForeverCarefree

World Cup 2014 - Match day 8

FIFA WORLD CUP - GROUP C

Colombia v Ivory Coast 17:00

Japan v Greece 23:00

FIFA WORLD CUP - GROUP D

Uruguay v England 20:00

I reckon a win for Columbia against the Ivory Coast and draws in the other two games. 

For all the promise shown by England against Italy the side just looks to lack balance and enough experience for me, could be an entertaining match though. 

I am apprehensive (realistic?) ahead of our game this evening. On paper we can win but the whole team will need to perform, including Rooney, Gerrard and (God help us) Johnson. Someone posted the other night that there is no 'stand out' team in Brazil. If we can gel and play consistently, we may be able to do very well.

Ive got a soft spot for Japan especially after I saw pictures of their supporters staying behind to clear up their own litter after they  lost to Ivory Coast

Shame the 5pm & 11pm fixtures aren't reveresed, would much prefer to see that game... although the Ivory Coast do have numerous quality players.

Come on England, just... try. And Roy - drop Rooney, he's not needed in this system and is not a game changer.

Shame the 5pm & 11pm fixtures aren't reveresed, would much prefer to see that game... although the Ivory Coast do have numerous quality players.

Come on England, just... try. And Roy - drop Rooney, he's not needed in this system and is not a game changer.

Theres no way Roy is dropping Rooney

Or Gerrard

If we can gel and play consistently, we may be able to do very well.

Maybe, but you need to get past this match first. One step at a time mate.  :smile:

Got a great feeling about Colombia - Ivory Coast, I think it's gonna be an absolute scorcher. Hope Drogba can come off the bench and do something, I also hope that Ivory Coast get far enough in the tournament for this resting of Drogba to be effective.

Also pure hilarity from BBC Live Text:

This is Colombia's first World Cup since 1998 and Argentina-born manager Jose Pekerman has been hailed a hero for securing a place in Brazil.

So much so that the 64-year-old got over 400,000 votes in Colombia's presidential election over the weekend after his team's 3-0 win over Greece - despite not standing for office.

Thousands spoiled their votes to show support for the national coach after Los Cafeteros coasted to victory in Belo Horizonte.

According to the Daily Mirror, over 100,000 Colombians crossed the border and travelled to the eastern city to paint the town yellow as the drinking of alcohol is prohibited in the country over election weekend.

Wow, Serey Die in tears of pride at the national anthem! I have my problems with Houphouet-Boigny but after seeing that I can't help but think that he did at least some good. Come on les éléphants!

Wow, Serey Die in tears of pride at the national anthem! I have my problems with Houphouet-Boigny but after seeing that I can't help but think that he did at least some good. Come on les éléphants!

The majority of early post-independent African leaders: it all depends on perspective.

England should go:

Hart

Baines

Cahill

Jagielka

Jones

Henderson

Barkley

Sterling

Rooney

Lalana

Sturridge

That is a much better England line up than the one we serve up. Will never ever happen mind!

Sigh. After scoring nil points with yesterday's predictions, I'm full of confidence (ahem) about today:

Colombia-Ivory Coast 1-2 (or is it Columbia?)

Uruguay-England 3-1

Japan-Greece 1-0

Sigh. After scoring nil points with yesterday's predictions, I'm full of confidence (ahem) about today:

Uruguay-England 3-1

Japan-Greece 1-0

No right first time, reverse score for England then you will get points, other wise you will be like the Spanish, out.

The majority of early post-independent African leaders: it all depends on perspective.

Yeah that's a good point. Take Gaddafi, I've heard some incredibly polarized opinions (on both sides) about him. Anyone in the UK will tell you he's a monster who sponsors terrorism (and understandably too), whereas I know a Libyan guy and a Congolese guy who both claim that he's their hero. Despite the fact I can't really make my mind up on him, there must be as many perspectives on Houphouet-Boigny too, although now I'm interested in hearing yours. ;)

Cracking game this one. Not the highest quality but end to end stuff.

Definitely top game.

Probably the two teams that will go through from this group and both look extremely flawed defensively and have done in both games.

Uruguay-England 3-1

Japan-Greece 1-0

Val, how could you? Where is your confidence in the country of Chaucer, Shakespeare and Churchill? (I don't think they are playing tonight).

Where are you in the pool please? I hope you are right this evening apart from us!