Old Sitcoms

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I've got the week off work and so this morning I've had a chance to sample the delights of morning television and was chuffed to see that Channel 4 offers Everybody Loves Raymond & Frasier! For me they're two of the best sitcoms ever and it's a crying shame that they don't make them like this anymore. Anything else that has come after these shows ended has been rubbish, how Two and a Half Men got 9 odd seasons or whatever it was is astonishing.

Obviously I've focused on American ones but what are your favourite older sitcoms? Frasier is mine, I just can't see it ever being dethroned.

Frasier is great, always watch it if it's ever on TV.

With the passing of Rik Mayall I've been re-watching Bottom on Netflix and it still holds up well. 

To be honest I'll watch most things like Friends, Scrubs and just mong out for half an hour. 

I wouldn't call this an OLD sitcom, but Green Wing is absolutely hilarious - in fact I don;t even think I would call it a sitcom. 

It certainly isn't old but it's bloody fantastic!

Friends will always be the greatest. I just never "got" Fraser, or that awful Seinfeld. Perhaps I'm just simple.

Edited by Blueblur

I wouldn't call this an OLD sitcom, but Green Wing is absolutely hilarious - in fact I don;t even think I would call it a sitcom.

Green wing is absolutely brilliant, massively underrated. Only problem with it is there wasn't enough episodes. Oh and mark heap is great on it, as he is on everything he's in.

Green Wing is brilliant. Will have to watch the DVDs. A few more I like. Not sure if old or sitcoms.

Taxi

Ripping Yarns

Fawlty Towers

Yes Minister/ Yes Prime Minister.

Bilko

Working in a Government Dept, Yes Minister/ Yes Prime Minister is so accurate. The scripts and  cast were brilliant. A couple of years ago, I went to see the stage version of Yes Prime Minister. Brilliant. One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

A slight aside, a couple of  classic sitcoms on radio - Hancock's Half Hour; The Navy Lark

Allo Allo and Seinfeld would be up there for me as my two favourites.

Edit: Good call on Yes, Minister. The Young Ones also do alright considering their age.

Edited by Jonty

^ Agreed about Yes Minister. Very witty and perceptive, and it holds up well, probably because government hasn't changed much in 30 years. David Cameron said he thought it was a comedy until he became Prime Minister, then he realised it was a documentary!

Porridge

Only Fools and Horses

Blackadder

^ Agreed about Yes Minister. Very witty and perceptive, and it holds up well, probably because government hasn't changed much in 30 years. David Cameron said he thought it was a comedy until he became Prime Minister, then he realised it was a documentary!

Porridge

Only Fools and Horses

Blackadder

I like your taste. I would add to that Faulty Towers, Citizen Smith, Cheers, Taxi.

David Hyde Pierce is fantastic! He made Frasier for me.

Vicar of Dibley?  No, sorry, ChelseaGirl, I never have been able even to crack a smile at that!

Yes, Minister etc really clever.

Loved 3rd Rock from The Sun too, John Lithgow is hilarious, fantastic actor.

Most of my favourites are American ones but then I think I grew up with them in the mid-to-late 90s when all the good English ones were earlier.

Vicar of Dibley was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.  Certainly not as clever as Yes Minister, which I absolutely love, but nevertheless charming and funny in a more homely way.  It probably helps living in a village and being on a village hall committee (yes, I know, you didn't put me down as a law-abiding committee type person, to be honest I'm not sure quite how and when I got roped into it) and some of the meetings have been very like the ones Geraldine had to sit through!  It is certainly better than a lot of sit-coms out there.

But alongside Yes Minister, I think Red Dwarf is another favourite not mentioned yet.  Again very clever but also very simple at times.  I'm obviously talking about the earlier series, the later one were a bit pony.

Ah Drop the Dead Donkey - brilliant!  I especially loved Joy and Neil Pearson's character - Dave?  And the intrepid news reporter who always found a child's teddy bear in the rubble.......because he'd placed it there.

Oh and the Day Today - another topical satire which I think was the first place that Alan Partridge was seen.  I remember one financial section which just had meaningless ticker tape of zeroes and ones running along the bottom - about as meaningful as a real financial report to me!

Edited by Beerqueen

"Frasier" was awesome.

Vicar of Dibley was a bit of a guilty pleasure for me.  Certainly not as clever as Yes Minister, which I absolutely love, but nevertheless charming and funny in a more homely way.  It probably helps living in a village and being on a village hall committee (yes, I know, you didn't put me down as a law-abiding committee type person, to be honest I'm not sure quite how and when I got roped into it) and some of the meetings have been very like the ones Geraldine had to sit through!  It is certainly better than a lot of sit-coms out there.

But alongside Yes Minister, I think Red Dwarf is another favourite not mentioned yet.  Again very clever but also very simple at times.  I'm obviously talking about the earlier series, the later one were a bit pony.

I watched that when I was a kid.  When I was a teenager, Thursday night was "Britcom" night, since WTTW (the local PBS station) showed British sitcoms. My sister and I watched "Vicar of Dibley" and "Keeping Up Appearances" with my mom and dad, and after we went to bed, my parents watched "As Time Goes By" and "Are You Being Served?" (I watched a few episodes of the latter on YouTube, funny as heck).

Red Dwarf - terrific - I have most of it on DVD.

I also loved Drop the Dead Donkey.

Got the full red dwarf box set a few years ago, brilliant show.

Coupling was very good - another clever, rude one, generally under-rated and not that well known I don't think - some of the concepts were fantastic - the giggle loop and the man who had too many legs were brilliant.  And I also loved Cold Feet - more of a sit than a com often but I liked the development of the characters over the different series and it was funny too.