Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Brit

Great World Cup or just quite good?

It has been entertaining, more than South Africa...but is it as great as we keep being told by the media? There has been drama in last 16 games, but quality and entertainment? Only 15 goals so far in this round with Belgium game still to be decided....I remember 2006 in Germany being very entertaining early on but faded as fear of losing in knockout stages took hold...just wondering if other people think it's as amazing as has been made out

The best I think since France 98 though I may be putting that on a bit of a pedestal as I was a lot younger then and it was the first world cup I watched. Definitely better that South Africa though, I just don't remember ever thinking that actually got going. The fact that England are out (again) probably plays a part in thinking this one isn't as good as we thought, no matter how low expectations were its obviously going to affect interest and enjoyment when your own country is out..... At least for me anyway.

It's certainly been watchable and, in most games, entertaining. Teams have 'gone for it' rather than playing to a script. The lack of an England presence gives us the freedom to enjoy the contest without the stress of following a team (sadly).

The media have gone over the top but that's the media.

I think it has been excellent probably the best in my life time so far. Some unbelievable goals and skill and the levels of fitness is just rub your eyes stuff. Even the dull games there has been some great and quick counter attacks.

What I really like is that it is still wide open. Also the passion and commitment of the likes of Algeria, USA, Columbia, Costa Roca etc I hope our players have not pissed off on holiday and Woy is forcing them to watch what passion over supossed talent can do. If you look at the England performances in the context of the last 16 round we were completely gutless

Don't get me wrong, it has been watchable, although most of the last 16 games have not exactly been classics...like this afternoon, but it had a great climax...also, is there an outstanding team? Maybe that's one of the reasons why it has been more watchable because any team can beat another, but there isn't one side that makes you go wow...as for England going out, that has been a blessing and doesn't effect my judgement of the tournament as a whole

I hope our players have not pissed off on holiday and Woy is forcing them to watch what passion over supossed talent can do. If you look at the England performances in the context of the last 16 round we were completely gutless

Yep. Spot on. The US are outclassed this evening but the US players are working so hard, really digging deep. Our players never showed that and, frankly, didn't deserve to progress.

You're right moi, but just thought I'd start a different debate...the quality of goalkeeping isn't in dispute...Howard joining a long list of keepers playing a blinder...only thing I noticed joe hart do in the tournament sadly was appear in embarrassing adverts

I enjoyed the group matches for the most part, but so far the knock out matches have disappointed me. The major teams haven't lived up to their reputations, and the smaller teams have resisted them with knuckle-down rather than good football.

Biggest letdown: Belgium.

You're right moi, but just thought I'd start a different debate...the quality of goalkeeping isn't in dispute...Howard joining a long list of keepers playing a blinder...only thing I noticed joe hart do in the tournament sadly was appear in embarrassing adverts

Yes, I noticed that too - bet he's laughing all the way to the bank!

It has been entertaining, more than South Africa...but is it as great as we keep being told by the media? There has been drama in last 16 games, but quality and entertainment? Only 15 goals so far in this round with Belgium game still to be decided....I remember 2006 in Germany being very entertaining early on but faded as fear of losing in knockout stages took hold...just wondering if other people think it's as amazing as has been made out

I think it's been superb. Plenty of surprises. Lot of the big names have turned up (though not Hazard), some excellent goals, great defensive performances by supposedly weaker teams. All of this with some games played in sapping conditions.

I think it has been a good World Cup, full of drama, late winners, guts and passion. What I think it's missing though is a outstanding team. One that outshines all others, and you can't wait to their next match to watch some brilliance. Maybe it's unfair as I tend to compare national teams to the great 1970 Brazilian team, probably the greatest team ever.

We been saying it for years, their are no easy games in the WC, here we are in 2014 and it's now more or less an even field, teams are not allowed to be great because everyone is working their socks off to stop them.

Loving the World Cup despite the US now being out. I think pretty much every game as been rather griping. The fact that there has been no clear favorite as actually made the games that much more exciting. Every time a team looks to be a cut above, they are brought back down to earth in their next game. Netherlands, Germany, Brazil, Argentina....they are all still there but no one as looked like pulling away. Personally I have been fascinated by the whole thing. Now that my country is out I can probably enjoy it even more.

Loving the World Cup despite the US now being out. I think pretty much every game as been rather griping. The fact that there has been no clear favorite as actually made the games that much more exciting. Every time a team looks to be a cut above, they are brought back down to earth in their next game. Netherlands, Germany, Brazil, Argentina....they are all still there but no one as looked like pulling away. Personally I have been fascinated by the whole thing. Now that my country is out I can probably enjoy it even more.

Hey now, USA got further than anyone thought (a lot of people thought they wouldn't make it out of the group). 

While I believe that part of the fun is supporting your country, I'll be happy to say that I hope the Red Devils send Argentina to hell, where they belong.

Best one I've seen in my lifetime, no doubt.

Incredible atmospheres being one of the highlights. Shame England crashed out, but I watch the World Cup for other teams as much as England.