Where do you download music from?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Spotify Premium, £10 a month. I can't live without it. The whole world's music at the push of a few buttons.

You can have offline playlists so you don't have to stream music too, which is amazing.

Edited by Blueblur

It's usually Bandcamp for me these days. Definitely the best place for new independent music (edit- you can usually stream full albums on Bandcamp as well).

Otherwise it's the iTunes store, mainly because I've been using iTunes to manage my music collection for years and it's too much hassle to change.

Edited by bluedave

Spotify Premium, £10 a month. I can't live without it. The whole world's music at the push of a few buttons.

You can have offline playlists so you don't have to stream music too, which is amazing.

I sign up but £120 a year and having no physical copies to show for it is a tough sell for me, I've got a respectably large CD collection so I would prefer to spend £10 a month and add to that collection and then just stick them on my ipod. 

I had about 200-300 cds but I sold them all and went digital. Can't believe people still buy cds now.

I can't stand the thought of not physically owning something after buying it, same reason all my films, comics and games are hard copies as well. 

I can just about tolerate using the Kindle app for books. 

I sign up but £120 a year and having no physical copies to show for it is a tough sell for me, I've got a respectably large CD collection so I would prefer to spend £10 a month and add to that collection and then just stick them on my ipod. 

I agree - I get premium for free at the moment but don't think I would want to pay £10 a month with nothing to show at the end.

It's usually Bandcamp for me these days. Definitely the best place for new independent music (edit- you can usually stream full albums on Bandcamp as well).

Otherwise it's the iTunes store, mainly because I've been using iTunes to manage my music collection for years and it's too much hassle to change.

That's part of the reason I hate itunes!  I use it to manage music as with an Ipod you have no choice but I buy from anywhere but there just to prove that they don't have a hold over me!

I can't stand the thought of not physically owning something after buying it, same reason all my films, comics and games are hard copies as well. 

I was the same. Then I realised that I did not even touch my cds anymore...

I still by books even though my ereader is practically attached to me. There's something about books that cannot be replaced by electronics. Time to time I need my dose of paper and ink :)

When it comes to books, games, films I always have the physical copy.

But when it comes to music, I don't really care. I have a decent cd collection which I stopped adding to years ago.

Undertow, can't believe Spotify is less than half the price for you!! Outrageous.

That's part of the reason I hate itunes!  I use it to manage music as with an Ipod you have no choice but I buy from anywhere but there just to prove that they don't have a hold over me!

The thing is with iTunes to always remember that it's not the software that's wrong, it's YOU that's wrong. Stick to that rule and you'll be fine. I rebel against iTunes in my own way by refusing to update no matter how much it bugs me,

When it comes to books, games, films I always have the physical copy.

But when it comes to music, I don't really care. I have a decent cd collection which I stopped adding to years ago.

Undertow, can't believe Spotify is less than half the price for you!! Outrageous.

I'm the exact opposite. I either get books on Kindle or borrow from the library, and download films and games wherever possible. It makes sense to me because I very rarely read books, watch films or play games more than once.

As for music, I like to have everything in digital form for convenience, but I tend to buy my favourite albums (preferably on vinyl) to keep and show off.

The thing is with iTunes to always remember that it's not the software that's wrong, it's YOU that's wrong. Stick to that rule and you'll be fine. I rebel against iTunes in my own way by refusing to update no matter how much it bugs me,

I'm the exact opposite. I either get books on Kindle or borrow from the library, and download films and games wherever possible. It makes sense to me because I very rarely read books, watch films or play games more than once.

As for music, I like to have everything in digital form for convenience, but I tend to buy my favourite albums (preferably on vinyl) to keep and show off.

Software, hardware, so many things wrong with itunes/ipods - I've never known mp3 players freeze and wipe themselves ever before but ipods seem to do it with frustrating regularity.  Windows media player is so much easier to use.  As is any other music software on the planet.  But as I say, apple tie you in.  And why can't you easily take music off it - it's a storage device.  Oh, that's right because they want it that way!  And the whole default syncing which most people never seemed to realise you could switch off and thus use your device on someone else's computer.  The list is endless.  And the one thing I am certain of is - IT'S NOT ME, IT'S THEM!!

And I agree about films and books, have no real need to own them now - well novels anyway, I still like real cookery and guide books.

Software, hardware, so many things wrong with itunes/ipods - I've never known mp3 players freeze and wipe themselves ever before but ipods seem to do it with frustrating regularity.  Windows media player is so much easier to use.  As is any other music software on the planet.  But as I say, apple tie you in.  And why can't you easily take music off it - it's a storage device.  Oh, that's right because they want it that way!  And the whole default syncing which most people never seemed to realise you could switch off and thus use your device on someone else's computer.  The list is endless.  And the one thing I am certain of is - IT'S NOT ME, IT'S THEM!!

And I agree about films and books, have no real need to own them now - well novels anyway, I still like real cookery and guide books.

I used to have an old iPod classic (which is why I'm still using iTunes) and thought it was brilliant until I lost it last year. Since then I've been using my Android phone with a 64GB SD card and if we're comparing ease of use, speed, stability and lack of lock-ups/randomly skipping between tracks then for me the iPod wins hands down. I agree the way music is stored on it is annoying and stupid though.

By the way I was joking in my previous post (just in case you didn't realise... it's hard to tell), I'm definitely not a member of the cult of 

Apple. I only use iTunes because I'm lazy and they make it difficult to switch to anything else.

By the way I was joking in my previous post (just in case you didn't realise... it's hard to tell), I'm definitely not a member of the cult of 

Apple. I only use iTunes because I'm lazy and they make it difficult to switch to anything else.

Don't worry, I realised!  :biggrin: And bloody hell, Apple are a fantastically efficient company - who else ties you in so f**king well!  It's why I resist......my one small fight against the man!

Can't remember the last time I downloaded music. Still buy CDs. Also, where I can I still buy vinyl. Have yet to find something as good as vinyl when it comes to sound reproduction. Only downside is that vinyl is very expensive.

Still but books as well. Can't envisage buy ebooks. Like the sight and feel of books. Saying that with several hundred books in the house am running out of space for them.

Vinyl is great if you can afford the sound system that goes with it. CD though... not so much. Pure digital has way better quality unless we're talking about a SACD or maybe a Blu-Ray Audio disc.

I love books, I love the touch and smell of them but ebooks are just fantastic, they are immensely practical.

Mostly, Charity shops and sometimes car boots.  Digital I get through Wondershare from Spotify or WE7.

BQ - I have some software that copies from your Ipod back to a PC - I'll have a look for what it is and send you a link.

Mostly, Charity shops and sometimes car boots.  Digital I get through Wondershare from Spotify or WE7.

BQ - I have some software that copies from your Ipod back to a PC - I'll have a look for what it is and send you a link.

I did find something to do this a few years back but the music appeared in really random order and so it was not really very useful.  I just think you should be able to open your ipod in your computer the same as any other storage device and see the folders and drag and drop etc. Itunes just seems to complicate something that should be so simple really.