36 minutes ago, RickUK said:

Good move.  Never likely to become a mainstay here. Same with van Ginkel, loads want him to stay.  But truth is, it's probably not the clubs intention.

I’d just like to see a player we sign given a chance in a Chelsea shirt before passing judgement. If we’re not signing them to actually play for us then what’s the point?

45 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

I’d just like to see a player we sign given a chance in a Chelsea shirt before passing judgement. If we’re not signing them to actually play for us then what’s the point?

£££££ thats it

• 9 months later...

He's had a pretty good year for a surprising Atalanta team, who after tomorrow could be in the Italian Cup final and are only outside of a Champions League spot on head-to-head difference with Milan. I've always rated this lad, maybe he is not quite up to level of Chelsea but I guess you'd never know unless he puts the shirt on. Certainly Jorginho, Higuain, Emerson, Marcos Alonso, David Luiz, Zappacosta, etc. have been given every opportunity this year. So maybe why not give him an opportunity in cup games? But it might be past that stage now with this being his fourth loan at a club in a major league in Europe. Anyone see him ever playing in a Chelsea shirt though?

On 25/04/2019 at 04:58, ForeverCarefree said:

Think I read a quote from him that effectively said he doesn't want to go on loan anymore and he's happy to turn his loan move at  Atalanta into a permanent one. 

Saw that after I posted. Shame. He just scored a goal again today as Atalanta moved into fourth spot in Serie A. They are also now in the Italian Cup final. 

• 3 weeks later...

So instead of spending 40-50 millions on Kovacic why not giving Pasalic a chance ? he was a key member of Atalanta in their Champions League quest and seems to get better every season.

4 goals 4 assists in 31 league games and 3 goals and 3 assists in 9 games in other competitions. Hes a big guy almost like Loftus Cheek.

I wouldnt mind him as a rotation player....did anyone saw him play this season?

40 minutes ago, DidierDrogbalala said:

So instead of spending 40-50 millions on Kovacic why not giving Pasalic a chance ? he was a key member of Atalanta in their Champions League quest and seems to get better every season.

4 goals 4 assists in 31 league games and 3 goals and 3 assists in 9 games in other competitions. Hes a big guy almost like Loftus Cheek.

I wouldnt mind him as a rotation player....did anyone saw him play this season?

I do like Kovacic as a player, i feel he's been unfairly judged as he's never really been a goalscorer and he is pretty versatile and can play all over midfield 

I do agree with you though, I wouldn't say there's a massive difference in quality between Kovacic and Pasalic, keeping Pasalic instead of spending 40 million on Kovacic which would allow us to invest in other areas of the squad makes a lot of sense

Problem is, our transfer dealings make no sense which means it will most likely not happen

On 19/05/2019 at 20:33, mwblue10 said:

Pretty sure he has had a lot of trouble getting a work permit

The restriction ended last year. You wonder why we loaned him out last year again when the restriction was removed in June.

Atlanta have a reasonable option on him (think it’s £15m), and they would most likely take it up. Bit crazy to sell him for £15m and then pay £30m+ for Kovacic, when the former scored 8 league goals. We lack goals in the centre of the park.

7 hours ago, ducavis said:

The restriction ended last year. You wonder why we loaned him out last year again when the restriction was removed in June.

Atlanta have a reasonable option on him (think it’s £15m), and they would most likely take it up. Bit crazy to sell him for £15m and then pay £30m+ for Kovacic, when the former scored 8 league goals. We lack goals in the centre of the park.

He didnt have a great season with spartak Moscow the year before, so maybe the club doubted his potential. 

I still dont think he is good though personally. 

6 hours ago, big blue said:

He didnt have a great season with spartak Moscow the year before, so maybe the club doubted his potential. 

I still dont think he is good though personally. 

I agree, he isn't good enough to be starting for us but he's more than good enough to be a good depth option for us

It's one of the main issues i've had with our whole transfer policy these last few years, we have a ton of players out on loan from academy graduates to players in their early to mid 20s. Quite a few of these players would make great depth options in our squad. Instead we seem to rather spend big bucks on average players to fill up our squad. By using players from our loan army it would allow us to fill our squad with decent depth and concentrate on signing a few players to improve our first 11

3 hours ago, Sparkz said:

I agree, he isn't good enough to be starting for us but he's more than good enough to be a good depth option for us

It's one of the main issues i've had with our whole transfer policy these last few years, we have a ton of players out on loan from academy graduates to players in their early to mid 20s. Quite a few of these players would make great depth options in our squad. Instead we seem to rather spend big bucks on average players to fill up our squad. By using players from our loan army it would allow us to fill our squad with decent depth and concentrate on signing a few players to improve our first 11

He seems like a decent player, but from his 5 or 6 loan spells, he has only really looked decent in serie a. I agree we shouldnt be buying squad players, but pasalic doesnt quite cut it for me. He also isnt homegrown, so it wouldnt even help us in that department. We are already stacked with midfielders as it is, if we are going to bring in someone else, i want it to be someone that is pushing for to start, pasalic i feel, will only ever make up the numbers at this level.

We must have made a decent amount on the loan fees for him, so hopefully Atlanta take up their option and we can put the money into signing players that will actually make the difference. 

20 minutes ago, big blue said:

He seems like a decent player, but from his 5 or 6 loan spells, he has only really looked decent in serie a. I agree we shouldnt be buying squad players, but pasalic doesnt quite cut it for me. He also isnt homegrown, so it wouldnt even help us in that department. We are already stacked with midfielders as it is, if we are going to bring in someone else, i want it to be someone that is pushing for to start, pasalic i feel, will only ever make up the numbers at this level.

We must have made a decent amount on the loan fees for him, so hopefully Atlanta take up their option and we can put the money into signing players that will actually make the difference. 

Agree with you but if the option is him or giving Madrid £35m for Kovacic, I’d rather keep him.

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, Zeta said:

What a waste of everyone's time.

By the time we sell some of these players, there will be no profit because of all the years of wages we've paid them.

That can't be true though otherwise why do it? It's been reported quite a lot that this is a big income stress for the club. 

Yes - if we even get a minimal loan fee for Pasalic it’ll be worth it as they are covering wages. Probably not amazing but offsetting costs. As a bet that didn’t work out (I think initial fee was three million) it was worth doing in the early days and then now it’s just covering costs. I also thought he may have had a future in the early days - he’s not a bad player, just didn’t quite kick on.