Jump to content

Dumbarton vs. Rangers Scottish Cup 01/11/14 KO 15:00

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Recommended Posts

Team News: First Start For Lee




LEE ROBINSON will make his first start for Rangers in today’s Scottish Cup third round tie against Dumbarton at the Bet Butler Stadium as Ally McCoist makes two changes to his side.

Fraser Aird misses the game through injury with Steven Smith replacing him and Sunderland-born goalkeeper Robinson, now in his second spell with the Light Blues, makes his first start after previously making two substitute appearances for the club’s top team.

On Tuesday night Robinson replaced fellow Englishman Steve Simonsen after he went off with a head knock and prior to that he went on for Ronald Waterreus in a 2-0 win over Hearts at Ibrox on 7 May 2006.

Today’s tie is another opportunity for the 28-year-old shotstopper to impress and it’s also a big day for highly regarded 16-year-old keeper Robby McCrorie, who has been named on the Gers bench.

The Scotland under-17 internationalist is seen as being one of the country’s brightest young talents and he will no doubt benefit from the experience he gains from being part of Ally McCoist’s squad today with both Cammy Bell and Simonsen unavailable.

Elsewhere, Steven Smith comes in to the team as the second change to the side that defeated St Johnstone during the week, with Fraser Aird set to miss out with a thigh injury.

Robinson will have the same back four in front of him who finished the game against the Saints, with Richard Foster, Lee McCulloch, Darren McGregor and Lee Wallace making up the defence.

In front of them is a midfield consisting of Nicky Law and Ian Black in the centre with Steven Smith and Lewis Macleod likely to take up positions on either flank.

In attack this afternoon is Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd and joining young McCrorie on the Gers bench are Sebastien Faure, Bilel Mohsni, Jon Daly, Nicky Clark, David Templeton and Dean Shiels.

RANGERS: Robinson; Foster, McCulloch, McGregor, Wallace; Smith, Law, Black, Macleod; Boyd, Miller
SUBS: McCrorie, Faure, Mohsni, Daly, Clark, Templeton, Shiels

DUMBARTON: Ewings, Graham, McLaughlin, Mair, Gilhaney, Fleming, Agnew, Linton, Campbell, Megginson, Nish
SUBS: Grindlay, McDougall, Turner, Van Zanten, McCallum, Lightbody, Whitefiled

REFEREE: Bobby Madden


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dumbarton 0-1 Rangers


KRIS BOYD’S well-taken finish in the 44th minutes proved decisive as Rangers booked their place in the fourth round of the Scottish Cup at Dumbarton’s Bet Butler Stadium.

The Light Blues were not at their best in the first half of this tie but Boyd’s tidy finish 60 seconds before the break put the visitors in a strong position and from there they were able to hold on to their lead.

Dumbarton, to their credit, never let their heads go down and although Rangers dominated the second period, and could have added to their slender lead, they had to work very hard for this victory.    

Ally McCoist made one change to his side for kick off with Lee Robinson taking Steve Simonsen’s place between the posts.

Simmo took a nasty head knock in Tuesday night’s League Cup quarter final victory over St Johnstone which meant Robinson made his first start for the Light Blues with highly rated 16-year-old Robby McCrorie on the bench as the back-up keeper.

After a positive start to the tie it was the Sons who had the first attempt at goal. The ball was played down the right channel to Lee Mair and his shot across Robinson brought out an excellent stop from the Englishman who dived low to his right.

Dumbarton were clearly fired up and boss Ian Murray would have been delighted with the way his side approached the opening 10 minutes. They were sharp, aggressive in the tackle and asking questions of the Gers backline.

Jamie Ewings at the other end, meanwhile, did not have much to do during the same period albeit the Light Blues enjoyed more of the possession.

With 19 minutes on the clock Robinson again had to follow the ball closely as it whizzed past his post. It was towering striker Colin Nish this time who tried his luck from distance after he had controlled the ball well from a clearance midway inside Rangers’ half.

At the half hour mark Murray would certainly have been the happier of the two managers. Rangers were comfortable in possession but Dumbarton’s defence was organised and worked hard to contain the threat from Boyd and Kenny Miller.

Indeed, on 38 minutes it was Richard Foster who hit Rangers’ first shot of note and it was from 20 yards, and off target.

Three minutes before the break Foster was again given time and space to take a shot, this time with his trusted right boot. He attempted to find the opposite bottom corner of Ewings’ net and Boyd clipped it past the keeper from 10 yards.

The Gers fans were out of their seats but the linesman in front of the Bet Butler Stadium’s only stand was quick to raise his flag for offside against the striker.

Before half time Robinson had to crouch down low to make a save from Mark McLaughlin before Rangers got their noses in front a minute before the break.

Lewis Macleod moved in from the right and he slipped a great pass into Boyd who was lurking between two defenders looking for just a yard of space.

The lethal hitman took one touch before curling an accurate shot past Ewings and into the net via the post.

Murray cut a dejected figure as he walked across the turf and up the tunnel at half time. His team had put in a lot of effort but they switched off for one second and Boyd made them pay with a typically composed finish.   

Within four minutes of the restart Boyd created another chance and if he had scored it would have been one of his best.

The ball was played up to the Gers number 15 inside Dumbarton’s half of the centre circle and with a drop of the shoulder he bamboozled two defenders and sprinted through on goal.

Ewings sprinted off his goal line and when Boyd tried to beat him a left-foot shot he produced a fine stop with his legs to deny the Gers star.

With a goal in place Rangers were now pushing for a second and when Stevie Smith played in Miller he twisted past his marker in the 18-yard box but another defender appeared to block his net bound effort.

Macleod, who was asked to play on the right wing in Fraser Aird’s absence, was always trying to make things happen and when he again cut inside his shot from 20 yards skimmed the side netting at Ewings’ near post.

As the clock ticked down Robinson did well to get down to make an excellent stop from a header while Ian Black’s rasping shot from 30 yards would have stung Ewings’ hands.

With Jon Daly now on in place of matchwinner Boyd, Rangers kept the pressure on in the latter stages but they were unable to net a second goal as the rain began to pour down on the playing surface.

Daly would have been disappointed to blaze a shot over after he was teed up by Macleod on his left side but McCoist’s men held on to their 1-0 lead and they now progress to round four.

DUMBARTON (3-5-2): Ewings, Mair, McLaughlin, Graham; Gilhaney, Megginson (McDougall 80), Fleming, Agnew Linton (Van Zanten 82); Nish, Campbell (Turner 69)

SUBS NOT USED: Grindlay, McDougall, McCallum, Lightbody, Whitefield

RANGERS (4-4-2): Robinson; Foster, McCulloch, McGregor, Wallace; Macleod, Black, Law, Smith; Boyd (Daly 75), Miller

SUBS NOT USED: McCrorie, Clark, Faure, Mohsni, Templeton, Shiels

GOALS: Boyd 44

BOOKINGS: McGregor, Foster

REF: Bobby Madden

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the official site:



RANGERS have been drawn at home to Kilmarnock in the Fourth Round of the Scottish Cup.

The match is scheduled to be played on the weekend of November 29/30.

The draw was made at Hampden this afternoon by Darren O’Dea with the Scottish FA President, Campbell Ogilvie, and David Coakley of competition sponsors William Hill.

The Gers progressed to the Fourth Round after defeating Dumbarton for the second week in a row at the Bet Butler Stadium, with Kris Boyd’s goal just on half time the difference between the sides.

The two sides meet for the first time in the Scottish Cup since a 2011 clash that saw the Light Blues run out 3-0 winners at Ibrox, also at the fourth round stage.


St Johnstone v Ross County
St Mirren vInverness CT
Hurlford Utd/Stirling Albion v Raith Rovers
RANGERS v Kilmarnock
Hearts v Celtic
QOTS v Brora Rangers
Stranraer vDunfermline
Elgin City/Bo'ness v Arbroath
Falkirk v Cowdenbeath
Spartans v Morton/Airdrie
Berwick Rangers v Albion Rovers
Dundee v Aberdeen
Annan Athletic v Brechin City
Ayr Utd/Alloa v Hibernian
Motherwell v Dundee Utd
Partick Thistle v Hamilton

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...
Please Sign In

Well, this is awkward!

Happy Sunny Days GIF by Atlassian

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to show these to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum running. Over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off and whitelisting the website? Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interference with your experience on The Shed End.

If you don't want to view any adverts while logged in and using your account, consider using the Ad-Free Subscription which is renewable every year. To buy a subscription, log in to your account and click the link under the Newbies forum on the home page.

Cheers now!

Sure, let me in!